8.8

$270

Most common solutions:

2. replace brake booster (4 reports)
  3. replace master cylinder (2 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford Edge:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

Feb 012019

Edge Limited

After 5 months of having brake booster fixed, I once again had to brake hard. Brakes went to the floor again. I am in city traffic about 50 miles from home. I make it home and take it to Ford dealer again. This time it was the master cylinder. Once again I drive home feeling good about having brakes.

- Shirley H., Defuniak Springs, FL, US

Jun 272016

Edge SEL V6

ALL OF A SUDDEN THE BRAKE PEDAL WENT DOWN TO THE FLOOR. HAD TO USE THE MANUAL PARKING BRAKE TO STOP THE CAR.

THERE WAS NO GRADUAL FADING OF THE BRAKES TO WARN OF A PENDING PROBLEM. TALK ABOUT SCARY.

- Dennis C., Markham, ON, Canada

Oct 012018

Edge Limited

I had to brake fast. Brakes went to the floor. Took it to the Ford dealership. It was the brake booster that was under a recall. Left there feeling I would be able to stop car.

- Shirley H., Defuniak Springs, FL, US

May 252019

Edge SE

Back in 2013 my brake pedal started going all the way to the floor while trying to brake and wouldn't stop. Took it to Ford dealer where they replaced my brake booster free of charge.

2019 brake pedal is going all the way to the floor again, back to Ford deal I go, and this time they replaced the Master Cylinder for $400.00.. Three weeks later my brakes are doing the same EXACT thing going all the way to the floor.

I am taking it back to Ford yet again to see what they can find AGAIN.. There is something faulty with the brake system on the Ford Edge but Ford doesn't want to issue a recall.

Maybe a class action lawsuit when people start dying due to faulty brakes will make the Ford company take notice.

- jsweet74, Miami, US

Jun 112018

Edge SEL V6

I recently had the brake booster replaced in the last year and my issue with the brakes has started again. Also my rear driver door ajar light is constantly on. I will be going back to the dealer again to see if they can once again fix the issue. One day maybe Ford will issue a recall.

- Marc J., Tehachapi, US

Nov 232017

Edge ES 2.0L

I have a 2012 Ford Edge and while I was driving it the brake pedal went all the way to the floor, without any warnings and it almost made me had an accident. thanks God there were no cars in front of me. i took it to the mechanic to have it checked and he told me that most likely is the master cylinder. I looked into the problem online and I see many people having the same issue. The mechanic somehow did something that is working again. He must've pumped the pedal or something, but warned me to have it fixed because is gonna get worse. i could've gotten killed if i was driving at fast speeds on the highway. How come there hasn't been a recall regarding this problem. My first time purchasing a Ford and my last.

- Ray M., Ponce, Puerto Rico

Jun 232017

Edge

Anytime the ABS engage the brakes stop working effectively. The first few times it happened it was scary and I called the dealership about the booster recall. All they told me was my description does not seem like a booster problem and that they would charge me $100 to look at the vehicle. When I do an internet search everyone else says its the booster and that the recall replaced it for free. So I had the brakes bled and keep driving it. Today it happened again and we went flying into the intersection and almost got hit. I had all 3 kids in the car with me. I am never driving this car again. Its being traded in tomorrow. Brakes should work.

- Leah C., Sand Springs, US

Sep 282016

Edge SE 3.5L V6

On 9/28/16, had brake issues. Ford replaced Brake Booster as per recall. In addition, master cylinder was leaking, and same replaced for 127.33. This occurred at 20,711 miles. Not a very good track record for my Edge, in that this repair along with door ajar latch replaced twice, within 24k miles!

- Michael W., Glendale, US

Mar 202015

Edge SEL V6

The brake pedal went to the floor without warning and almost caused me to crash into the vehicle in front of me on two different occasions. My initial visit to Gwinnett Place Ford, I was told that there was a recall for the problem but I was unable to leave my vehicle there on that date.

On a later date when having my brakes and oil changed I mention the brake problem and I was told that they were not aware of any recalls and before they go slapping on any parts (Repair shop Manager) they have to take the vehicle in for inspection. I went for a test drive with the manager but the brakes were normal. Once we returned to the shop, the manager asked one of the service techs to look up recall information for my vehicle. They did find the recall and the manager stated that they did have the part in stock. This was on a Saturday 3/21/15 when had my rear brakes done so we scheduled the repair for 3/23/15. I brought my vehicle in that Monday morning at 8am and the repair was complete at noon. Today is Sunday 3/29/2015 and so far all is good.

- Calvin L., Duluth, GA, US

Jul 022013

Edge Limited

I noticed this problem and it seems to be getting progressively worse. I took it in to my dealer who checked it out thoroughly and told me they could not find anything wrong. As I drove it off the lot, the pedal went to the floor quickly and I did a U-turn and asked if they test drove it. So a mechanic came out and we drove it a mile or two and he told me this was normal and I probably didn't notice this in the beginning. I left the dealership again and 8 miles down the road, I call Ford customer relations and they gave me a case number and said someone would call in 4 days. This was yesterday 8/16/2013. We decided to check the Internet to see if anyone else has had this problem and it appears that not only our model year but all the way back to 2007, they been having brake booster problems. I now appreciate people taking the time and trouble to share with others about their problems and when the Ford people call, I will not accept "this is normal" as an answer. I purchased it new and I know after 24k miles what is normal.

- Gus N., Hot Springs Village, AR, US