9.6

$6,780

Most common solutions:

1. engine must be replaced (6 reports)
  2. new engine (3 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Ford Edge:

Aug 012022

Edge SEL 2.0L

Extremely disheartening to find out this problem is well documented with Ford and there is no recall to address it.

- zorechak, Hackettstown, US

Oct 012020

Edge SEL 2.0L

I understand manufacture defects, but this was only 3,000 miles over the warranty and Ford would not cover any of the repair cost. Ford dealership mechanic told me it was a known issue, but when talking with Ford customer service they denied that claim. Fudge ford - I will never buy again, can't wait to unload this vehicle.

- Hunter G., Bossier City, LA, US

Dec 122022

Edge SEL

Absolutely disgusted in Ford as a company. As a lifelong Ford customer, I’m beyond disappointed that Ford has not recalled their 4 cylinder eco-boost engines. At 63,000 miles my 2016 Ford Edge began displaying the check engine light displaying code P0302 which is cylinder #2. My car was seen by a mechanic and a couple people who were just trying to help fix the problem. A couple parts were replaced in my vehicle as a hope that it would in turn, hopefully fix the issue with the cylinder code P0302. New water pump and new spark plug. My vehicle continued to display the check, engine light, always showing code P0302 for cylinder number 2. I was losing coolant very rapidly basically a full reservoir would disappear before I even used a half of a tank of gas.

Finally in desperation, I took my car to a different mechanic mediately diagnosed the problem. Coolant leak into cylinder number 2 required a complete engine replacement costing me $5,500 for parts and labor. It’s absolutely disgusting that I am putting a brand new engine in a vehicle with only 63,000 miles. This is a known flaw in these engines for Ford. They truly need to be held responsible for their defective engine costing their customers thousands of dollars. Not only did my vehicle have only 63,000 miles on it but it was kept inside of a garage with low mileage and receipt for every vehicle check and oil change at a Ford dealership. I took very good care of my car issue I should be having. not to mention that my husband’s Ford F150 it only has 82,000 miles on it has also been seen in the past two months twice. Once from the throttle body actuator costing us $2000 and then two weeks after that, rear risers costing us an additional $4000. As I said before, as very loyal customers this will be our last Fords we will ever own.

- Jennifer S., Elk Grove, US

Apr 022022

Edge Titanium

Even CarComplaints called out the expense I paid on a BRAND NEW ENGINE astronomical and made me double check to make sure it was right - I can AND will provide documentation, if needed. I paid $7876.67 at the American Fork, Utah Ford dealership. I had to get a 0% interest credit card in order to make payments over 15-months (Shout out to Discover - you da real MVP. Ford... You're a POS.) I'm currently on a waitlist for a brand new, NOT Ford hybrid. You really screwed me over, Ford.

This engine problem is apparently resolved with the NEW DESIGN they made since they admit that the OLD design was causing issues - but they offered 0 compensation. I will NEVER drive a Ford again - I will continue to NOT recommend to anyone I meet. I feel bad for whoever ends up with my car after I trade it in - I can't get myself to sell this POS privately as it feels ethically WRONG.

- Julie M., Vineyard, UT, US

May 182022

Edge 2.0L

Ford knows that there is a manufacturing defect with this engine. There is a port in the thin wall of the engine allowing the metal to crack and coolant to enter into the engine and mix with the oil. They have a Technical Service Bulletin #22-2229, saying that coolant enters the engine on this exact model, year and engine, and the codes from my car fit the service bulletin, yet they will not issue a recall, so there is no recourse when their poor manufacturing causes the car to need an engine. Repair is quoted at $9000. They apparently won't assist me to cover mine because I have high miles (I'm in sales and use it for work) and they say I'm not a loyal Ford customer (I have only driven fords for the past 12 years....but that's over now).

If I replace the engine with a new one, they will use a different engine design that no longer encourages the cracking and leaking. So they have repaired the problem on the replacement engine, but will not take responsibility for the original defective engine.

- kjb, Andover, US

May 162022

Edge SE 2.0

Just hoping to receive a class action lawsuit notice to get back the money I'm probably going to have to shell out next week.

- Ray W., West Jordan, UT, US

Apr 292020

Edge LX V6

Can't believe this happened on a 4-year-old car, but so happy I bought the extended warranty! Was told that they have seen this before on the Edge and the Escape.

- Klee L., Commerce Township, MI, US

Jun 192021

Edge Platinum

IF FORD KNOWS THERE'S A PROBLEM WITH THESE MOTORS, WHY AREN'T THEY RECALLING THEM? ARE THEY WAITING FOR SOMEONE TO DIE AS A RESULT, THAT IT COULD CATCH ON FIRE. I AM SEEING THAT THIS IS A COMMON ISSUE AND I THINK THAT FORD SHOULD BE RELIABLE FOR REPLACING THE ENGINE.

- Lisa D., Houston, US

Jul 012020

Edge Titanium 2.0L Ecoboost

My engine light came on. With much back and forth with the service center, they determined I need a new engine. I went to a Ford dealership to get a second opinion and they said the same thing except they wanted to charge me over $8,000.00. I checked and there are a number of service bulletins on this issue. I call Ford direct and no help form them. Had the engine replaced by the independent garage. They informed me that Ford had updated the engine to correct the issue. Ford needs to stand behind their product, and issue a recall.

- Donald T., Dellwood, US