Most common solutions:

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2020 Ford Escape:

Mar 132020

Escape Titanium V4 2.0L

click to see larger images

transmission failure

At the time this happened I was on my way to a wedding. I was in the city and I stopped at a stop light. I put my vehicle in park (it is safe as long as you are aware of your surroundings) so I could get a few bobby pins out of my purse really quick. The traffic light obviously took its time and I fixed my hair, I placed the vehicle back into drive and it made this AWFUL clunking shifting sound. It LITERALLY sounded like my transmission fell out onto the ground, I let my foot off the brake, it did not move. Gave it a little bit of gas, didn't move either. So I put my foot down on the gas and it would just not move. The light turned green so I shifted it from Drive, to Park, then Neutral, then Drive. And I gave the car a little bit of gas. My car unresponsively moved forward at 3-5 miles an hour and I rear ended the woman in front of me. I apologized to the woman and we called the police, no one was hurt. The Escape would not turn over after, had it towed to Ford dealership and explained everything that happened. They looked at me like I was stupid until it took them an hour to turn on my vehicle.

Turns out my vehicle overheated without notifying me, which caused the transmission to not shift correctly or engage any movement, which has now caused a transmission failure. Unbelievable, my husband wouldn't let me touch the car after the accident, and because he works for Ford he was able to work something out and the vehicles powertrain was investigated.

Not even 5,000 miles and the transmission went out on me. Ever since I've bought this late last year I've always had transmission issues with this SUV. We take care of our vehicles, I am not a business traveler where I drive my car 20,000 miles or more a year. This car had 4,081 MILES and we've had it for 8-9 months. Just had the engine oil changed nearly 1,000 miles ago.

Ford has bought back the vehicle because they want to investigate what went wrong, and I wound up getting an Edge. And because the vehicle was fully under warranty I didn't pay a dime.

Try to find the nearest fire 'ESCAPE' exit when someone tries to offer to sell you an Escape...

- Jane S., Detroit, MI, US