Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford F-150:

Sep 072020

F-150

The steering lower shaft gets faulty in this years truck do to being cheap made and gets corroded win salt from the roads barely touches it when driving you have to turn extremely hard to make it steer and it doesn┐T take much for it to brake when going down a highway one of the most in safe designs I have ever seen in a newer truck than 2000 there was a recall on them the exact same design in the crown vics from 2004 to 2008 mine broke when going down the city road going about 45mph

- Bluefield, WV, USA

Nov 042018

F-150

The U joint are freezing up and it is hard to turn and it gets worse

- Remington, IN, USA

Sep 062018

F-150

Hard steering on initial start up and driving. Steering would not go back to center by itself had to manually correct..steering gets better the longer you drive it.

- Camby, IN, USA

Sep 062018

F-150

The contact owns a 2006 Ford F-150. While attempting to make a turn, the steering wheel seized. The failure prevented the vehicle from turning and almost drove off a bridge into a river. The vehicle was able to be veered to safety. The dealer and manufacturer were not contacted. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was unknown.

- San Angelo, TX, USA

Dec 232016

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

Was driving my 2006 F-150 over a mountain pass in Canada. There was compact snow and ice on the roadway and I was traveling with other vehicles around me at approximately 40 mph. The vehicles ahead of me began to brake, I as well tried to brake only to find my truck had lost power and was no longer running. I had lost power to my brakes and steering. This caused my truck to begin sliding on the snow and ice and I was unable to control my vehicle. The cars around me were slowing and stopping and I could not. I began to fish tail in both directions while trying desperately to control my truck with no brakes or power steering, I eventually did a complete 360 degree spin and somehow managed to get the truck under control with out rolling over and into the ditch or smashing into the other vehicles around me. When I came to a stop my truck was not running and the dash lights were on. I placed the transmission into drive and restarted the truck without issue and continued on without issue. This is the second time this has happened with this truck, the first time I was on a residential street and I was able to just coast to a stop and restarted the truck. This last incident on the mountain pass has confirmed to me that I will not own another Ford as I have researched this problem to find that this is a common issue with Ford trucks. I am certain this has caused major accidents if not deaths and the fact there are no error codes left behind from the events to verify this has happened we may never know. The fact it has happened to me twice and once only a miracle a serious accident didn't occur I am done with the Ford Motor Company.

- Bellevue, WA, USA

Aug 092016

F-150

Power steering hose rust and leaking-transmission hoses rusted and leaking - spark plug breaking off when having them replaced

- Eccles, WV, USA

Jul 012015

F-150

Steering became intermittently stiff while driving. Truck had about 80000 miles on it and 9 years old when symptoms started. Stiffness would occur sometimes at highway speeds when I started a lane change, and at slow speeds when I was turning (for instance on community streets). As I was turning it would cycle from hard to regular effort, as would be if a universal joint was going bad. My non-Ford mechanic diagnosed it as a bad lower steering shaft. I inspected the bad shaft and agreed that one universal shaft was tight and the other was extremely tight. $557 repair.

- Arnold, MD, USA

Dec 182015

F-150

The steering wheel freezes up in cold weather. My mechanic diagnosed a failed lower steering column that is exposed to roadway splash and corrosion. This is also a telescoping section of the steering column designed to protect the driver in case of frontal crash. So overnite it freezes up and slowly loosens. While driving becomes stif and results in difficult steering. 45,000 miles on odometer.

- East Greenwich, RI, USA

Feb 272016

F-150

Drove F-150 normally during week. On weekend morning while pulling out of driveway steering wheel suddenly and sporadically began resisting effort to turn causing truck to sway unpredictably during turns. Resisting driver input. Was too dangerous to drive. After reviewing blogs online I realized a lot of other people who drive this era F-150 have the same problem. It turns out the lower steering column shaft containing the U-joints uses defective materials or has bad design. The U-joints are binding up during driving causing the driver to lose partial control over direction of vehicle. Temporary fix may be to spray with anti-corrosive spray, then lubricating spray, which I did. This lasts only a short time so the lower shaft with U-joints must be replaced. Ford knows of the defect for this era F-150 and has redesigned this lower shaft to eliminate the binding. This new design is what they sell you as a replacement, not the original design. If you try to buy one online it costs at least $245 for the O.E.M. part. If you buy one of the 2 aftermarket knockoffs it'll set you back approx $125. The aftermarket shaft advertising touts the fact that it has a design that will not bind like the original Ford shaft does. This truck had approx 69,700 miles on it when the shaft began binding up.

- Roseville, MI, USA

Dec 152015

F-150

Last week I started noticing my steering starting to get stiff and the wheel does not recenter after a steer to the left or right. Ive had to do some quick muscling to recenter the wheel. I've just finished researching some other Ford forums for this vehicle and many owners have reported the same issue with the U joints on the steering column rusting or seizing. I will try spraying some anti seize on the U joints tommorow until I can get it to a garage.my truck has approximately 103,000 miles on it. This is dangerous and with the amount of complaints on this it should be recalled by Ford to correct.

- Torrington, CT, USA

Nov 292015

F-150

Last week truck suddenly became very hard to turn going around corners. Steering wheel locked up and I almost went over an embankment. Hit or miss so I never know when it will go out. Thankfully did not have my 2 young children! a week later (11/29/15), truck suddenly starts to violently shake if I go over 50 mph! scared the dickens out of me! hoping to limp it to a dealership and trade it in. Not safe for me to drive. I have put 20K miles on it in 2 years and has been regularly serviced. What gives"!"

- Grove City, OH, USA

Nov 272015

F-150

My steering started to bind while driving. Could not make full right or left turns. Very unsafe. The truck has left than 30,000 miles. Rarely driven.

- Hauppauge, NY, USA

Sep 152015

F-150

While my vehicle was in the shop for a four wheel alignment the mechanic noted that the U-joint in intermediate steering shaft is going bad and therefore the reason there is some play in the steering wheel. Cost to repair is going to be approximately $700

- Tripoli, IA, USA

Sep 052015

F-150

The contact owns a 2006 Ford F-150. While driving 35 mph and coming to a complete stop, the rear driver side tire separated and rolled into traffic. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the rear rotor and studs failed and needed to be tightened. The contact also stated that he had to also replace the steering rack and pinion due to the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 136,000.

- Reeding, CA, USA

Nov 032014

Front end bushings deterioration - replacement cost estimate $750

- Margate, FL, USA

Feb 022015

F-150

Ford's iwe solenoid has a tendency to malfunction due to a poor design. Tsb 06-8-15 was issued to replace these solenoids, but only if there was a problem and only if it was giving a problem. My vehicle was in storage for 5 years and after it was brought out and to NY, the water leaked on the solenoid due to the inadequate design, causing the iwe's to malfunction. I still don't know what exactly it did but driving the car down the road, it caused me to feel like I was driving over small speed bumps with the front drivers side tire. I'm afraid that if this failed at a high rate of speed it could cause the iwe to engage and possibly lock up one of the front tires.

- Hobart, NY, USA

Dec 192014

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

Noticed steering wheel very hard to turn. Checked power steering fluid which was ok. Researched problem online and found dozens of similar complaints reported on Ford customer forums and elsewhere online mentioning that the U-joint(s) on the lower steering shaft possibly rust and corrode and become very stiff. When turning corners wheel does not readily recenter itself. Fearful that steering joints could fail, seize or break resulting in a complete loss of steering and serious injury or death. Saw that Ford redesigned the steering shaft after 2006 and the new Ford part looks much different than the original shaft in my 2006 truck. Sprayed some penetrating oil on both U-joints yesterday and steering was noticeably much easier within 5 minutes. Then sprayed some liquid wrench lubricating oil (lightweight aerosol oil) on both joints and drove the truck. Steering was like new and steering wheel easy to turn. Do not know however if this "oiling fix" will last. Ford is aware of this issue as they redesigned the steering shaft/U-joints and had hundreds of complaints. Defect in design of critical steering component, Ford is aware and redesigned steering shaft and U-joints. Note: Other customers with non-Ford vehicles and Ford vehicles other than the F-150 have reported numerous similar complaints.

- Slinger, WI, USA

Oct 012014

F-150

My steering wheel is stiff. And hard to turn the mechanic said it is a recalled rack and pinion.

- Marlboro , NY, USA

Sep 022014

F-150

The contact owns a 2006 Ford F-150. While driving approximately 45 mph, the steering wheel shook violently without warning. The failure occurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician stated that the tires needed to be replaced and aligned. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 92,270.

- Port Arthur, TX, USA

May 292014

F-150 8-cyl

At very low mileage I cannot understand why I was hearing a whining noise that appeared from coming the rear of my truck. I was advised that the gears were breaking down and should be replaced. The gear and pinion were replaced. Seems to be fixed. Again at 57814 miles?

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA