4.8

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Ford F-250:

Feb 032019

F-250

TL- the contact owns a 2017 Ford F-250. The contact stated while hauling a goose neck trailer and attempting to make a right turn, when the tail gate opened on it's owns and caught with hydraulic system on the trailer and broke off the pump. The contact stated an unknown gate warning light was illuminated. The vehicle was taken to local dealer romeo Ford of kingston, llc located at 128 NY-28, kingston, NY 12401, where it was diagnosed with wire harness on the tail gate to be replaced. The vehicle and trailer was repaired. The contact associated the failure with NHTSA campaign number: 19V864000 (latches/locks/linkages).the manufacturer had been informed of failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Red Hook, NY, USA

Oct 122019

F-250

Was traveling down the interstate and the truck started to shake violently and it took the steering wheel right out of my hands and I grabbed the wheel and slowed the vehicle down and tried to get to the right emergency lane, the shaking continued till I slowed to about 20mph and it stopped shaking, exiting of the road and checked my tires they had no issues, have had this truck 8 months and this has happened 6 times to me and my wife, my kids cannot drive this death trap please help before people get killed or kill someone

- Serena, IL, USA

Jan 212020

F-250

On 1/21/2020 I was driving highway speeds on SH225, went under BW8, and the truck began shaking uncontrollably. It felt as if the entire truck was going to shake apart. I was almost in a wreck because the truck would not stop shaking and the steering was impacted. The dash, mirrors, seats, and literally everything on and in the truck was violently vibrating and shaking. Had to reduce speed to about 30mph and the shake finally subsided, after multiple cars could tell something was wrong as well - and they were seeing this happen from outside the truck! this has happened previously, to a lesser extent in December which caught me off guard and the issue subsided quicker than this time. Not sure what the issue is but it is extremely dangerous and could have seriously injured me or other drivers due to a loss of control of the vehicle. I have dropped my truck off at mac haik Ford in pasadena, tx. It is still under warranty - about 25K miles on the truck.

- Deer Park, TX, USA

Dec 152019

F-250

On two occasions this winter I have had door latches on this 2017 Ford F-250 crew cab Super Duty freeze preventing the door from latching closed after it was opened. The mileage on the vehicle was approximately 19,700 miles. The first occurrence happened in December 2019. The morning temperature was in the mid 20's (degree Fahrenheit) and the truck was parked outside overnight. After opening both front doors of the truck to load personal items and myself, I was unable to secure either front door due to the frozen latches. I tried several times to shut and slam the doors and conducted a cursory visual inspection of both latches. The ¿defect¿ was clearly internal and there was nothing I would be able to do at that time. After several minutes of manipulating both doors, eventually, one door latched closed. Repeated attempts with the other door were unsuccessful. I then drove approximately 2 miles to my destination, on public roads, holding the unlatched door closed with my hand. I fully accept the danger I placed myself in that day and believe many others will make the same choice when faced with a similar situation. Moreover, I believe others will travel much longer distances with frozen, unlatched doors. This frozen latch problem will only befall more similar vehicles as they age. I was aware of the potential of this problem from online forums. I received Ford's letter alerting owners of a ¿potential fix¿ for only vehicles which have experienced the problem. I have also seen numerous online postings that Ford's fix for the latches is sometimes unsuccessful. I have not had this procedure performed as I do not believe it ¿fixes¿ the issue of frozen latches and a full redesign of the latch is required. People driving these vehicles with unlatched doors is clearly unsafe. The danger is even greater if people do not realize the door is unlatched.

- Broadview Heights, OH, USA

Dec 162019

F-250

Door lactches freeze shut. Door hard to open, and once open will not latch shut.

- Dolores, CO, USA

Dec 112019

F-250

Have an on going problem, right rear door when below freezing will not latch. Has been to the dealership 3 times in the last 3 weeks for updates, repairs, etc. This is a safety issue as I have two young ins that ride back there. Ford need to come up with actual solution and not just pour ethonal/windsheild washer on components for a bandaid fix. I do have documentation for the visits to dealer.

- Gorham, NH, USA

Dec 042019

F-250

The rear doors open on there own and will then not close. "fixed" once under warranty. Now a year later they again openning on there own and then are un able to be re-secured. This has happened on the road, highway, and in the driveway. Very concerned for my children who ride back there.

- Marshfield, MA, USA

Nov 292019

F-250

Doors do no stay closed. Had updates done on 11/25/19 second time on 11/27/19 door on right rear would not remain closed also drivers door did the same but was able to close after it warmed up. My 12 year old son and 15 year old daughter in the back. Is Ford going to be held accountable for a permanent repair that works. In their customer satisfaction letter says it's a one time fix. First off it needs to be a fix.

- Gorham, NH, USA

Oct 012019

F-250

Three cracks developed in the aluminum cab around three different doors all in similar areas (sharp 90 degree bends). Truck has 13.5K miles on it and is only two years old. All cracks appeared after it experienced ¿death wobble¿. guessing the violent shaking it experienced is the root cause for these cracks. Of course Ford doesn¿T want to buy it back and will repair these cracks. No way to tell what other damage occurred behind any panels or welds. Death wobble in these trucks needs to be engineered out. Not only did it almost push us into a wall on the highway when it occurred but it induced cracks into the cab. Now I¿M stuck with a $63K truck that my family is scared to ride in and I¿M concerned structurally was compromised.

- Sharpsburg, GA, USA

Jun 012017

F-250

In 2017 I purchased a new F-250 Super Duty pick-up from lithia Ford, boise, Idaho. Unfortunately I have experienced the unexpected opening of my tail gate numerous times while turning street corners, in motion, on boise, Idaho, city streets, while pulling my rv, and at random times. It has resulted in damaging my rv propane tanks, and resulted in two permanent dents at the top of my tail gate. The last incident occurred November 15, 2019 when turning a street corner, my tail gate fell open, and my new (never shot.17 cal rifle (in a hard black plastic case)) rifle fell out, and was never recovered. I filed a police report with the garden city police department #2019-02600. I even had one incident where the tail gate fell open, while stationary in my drive way. I initially thought that I had caused the incidents, inadvertently while carrying my remote key in my pocket, but since reading the "www.tfltruck.com report/2018/10/2017-Ford-super-duty-powered-tailgate-may-open-by-itself-owners-report/", I believe that it may be a wiring harness problem, which Ford has identified as a possible problem.

- Boise, ID, USA

Sep 302019

F-250

On more than 20 separate occasions the tailgate has randomly opened on its own while truck was in motion on highway. In one instance this allowed the load I was carrying at 55 mph to fall out the back of the truck and onto the highway nearly causing an accident.

- Aiken, SC, USA

Sep 192019

F-250

While traveling in the #3 lane at 57 mph at 6:10 P.M. on interstate 80 in northern California; as I drove over a rough patch of roadway, the steering wheel began to shake/oscillate violently as was the entire truck, which had very little control of the steering at that point. I decelerated the truck without applying the brakes as I thought that would send me into an uncontrollable spin, possibly causing a crash or worse. Luckily, drivers around me realized something was wrong and gave me as much space as they could so that I could regain control of the truck. Once I slowed to approximately 40 mph the shaking was not as intense and I began to carefully brake all the while attempting to get over to the right hand side of the roadway. I stopped the truck on the shoulder of the roadway. Since my Ford dealer was closed at that time; I drove the truck on surface streets back home and contacted my dealer the next morning. The dealer examined the truck over a two day period and said they could not duplicate or find anything amiss with the truck. A day prior, the service advisor asked me if the "death wobble" started before or after I had the truck serviced. I told him I had the truck serviced on Saturday and the "death wobble" started on Thursday, so it was after. The next day on his return call to me he indicated they couldn't find anything amiss with the truck other than the tire pressure was not correct, for which they adjusted to "proper" inflation. Below is the synopsis of the repair as it is written on my invoice: 24748 perform test drove steering wobble do not duplicated at this time perform put vehicle on rack and inspecton front end check alignment ok pass check air tires pressure found front tires at 70 psi rear 60 psi perform adjustment to specs front 60 psi rear 65 psi recommend return vehicle to customer at this time check on future concerns

- Vacaville, CA, USA

Aug 092019

F-250

I have owned a 2017 F250 Super Duty vehicle for a little over a year and twice the tailgate has opened when driving. The first time was not long after I had the truck in the fall of 2018 and thought maybe I had left it down, although it made no sense since I had not loaded anything in the bed of the truck, but someone waved me down in the neighborhood as I was driving out of the neighborhood. However, on the expressway, less than five weeks ago, in austin, Texas (we live in atlanta and was visiting our son, ) the tailgate came down and a piece of luggage fell out in heavy traffic and I was only notified of the problem after several drivers came up beside us and yelled out their windows that the tailgate was down. To my knowledge no auto was damaged behind us but hard to know for sure since we were going about 35 miles per hour and not sure how far back the piece of luggage fell out. Sadly it had some of my wife's medicines and other items amounting to approximately $600 in total value and we could not recover the piece of luggage. Luckily the other items did not fall out (several heavy boxes of items for our son). In looking online today, I found that other owners have had this problem and wanted to report it. I will be glad to furnish additional information if required.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

May 052019

F-250

Water have intruded the cab of my vehicle from the roof, it also affected the display in my vehicle. Since water have intruded my vehicle, I fear the possibility of rust and something else going to happen. I have recorded the occurrence but unable to transfer the file af this time.

- Monmouth Junction, NJ, USA

May 192019

F-250

The tailgate is electronic and is opening on it's own while in motion. With my 5th wheel rv connected I cannot tell when the tailgate opens and this time it damaged both the tailgate and my rv when I made a right turn. I also lost cargo that was in the bed.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Apr 022018

F-250

The contact owns a 2017 Ford F-250. While driving 75 mph, the contact lost control of the vehicle as it experienced the death wobble and shook violently. Also, the vehicle accelerated on its own. The contact and his wife had no control as the vehicle sped through three lanes. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was not towed. The vehicle was taken to jim click Ford (6244 E 22nd St, tucson, AZ 85711, (877) 777-9263) where it was diagnosed that a steering damper needed to be installed. The vehicle was repaired. While the contact and his family were taking a road trip, the repair failed within hours. The vehicle accelerated in traffic and experienced the death wobble. The vehicle was repaired three times. The vehicle needed a shim installed because the original shim detached from the vehicle's body. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 3,000.

- Rhinelander, WI, USA

Mar 192019

F-250

The tailgate opens by itself. It has happened when parked. It has happened when moving in town, and on the highway. It is a base model with a manual tail gate, so no key fob release could cause it. The truck has done it a lot, and there is no pattern to it.

- Croton On Hudson, NY, USA

Feb 252019

F-250

Went to leave work when I got in my truck and started backing up my driver door came open. I stopped and try to shut it and it would not latch. Tried for several minutes to get it to latch. Finally got it to latch, or so I thought, started driving down the busy town road and when I hit a pot hole the door came open again. Leaving me to hold the door shut when I drive untill I could pull over and get it to latch again. The truck has already had the recall ¿fix¿ and continues to happen when it's cold out.

- Warren, PA, USA

Dec 292018

F-250

While driving at highway speeds (55+) the hood begins to shudder and shake to the point where the alarm will come on saying hood is not closed completely. Problem has consistently grown over time. While going into a head wind via mother nature or a semi, hood appears to begin to open all the way up.

- Port St Joe, FL, USA

Dec 102018

F-250

Doors do not securely close when exposed to freezing temperatures, particularly after exposure to sleet, snow or wind. This is a four door vehicle and most times all doors are affected. When this occurs doors do not secure and latching does not occur. Of course, door ajar audible and visual alerts occur. Basically you must drive holding the door. As you can imagine a safety issue exists.

- Herrin, IL, USA