Most common solutions:

1. replace the steering gear assembly (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2018 Ford Focus:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

Dec 232020

Focus SEL 2.0L

On a trip from Dallas TX to Branson MO on December 23, 2020. When I arrived at the hotel I was staying at, I exited the Ford Focus and left it running with my wife and child still in the car. After about 10 minutes of checking in and unloading all belongings, I got back in the Focus to go park it. When I put the Focus in to gear, there was no more power steering.

To resolve the initial power steering issue, I turned off the car's ignition, and then started the car back up. The power steering issue seemed to be fixed at that point. So I went and parked my Ford Focus.

The next morning, I went down to start up the Focus to get it ready to head to breakfast, and the power steering was not working. After about 45 minutes of checking the power steering fuse, and turning the car off and on again, the power steering issue persisted. After walking away from the car, and getting on the phone with Ford Roadside assistance, my dad had me turn over the car once more and check the power steering. The power steering was now working. I canceled the Ford road side assistance, because I was informed that all services centers were closed until December 28, 2020. And I was returning back to Dallas on December 27, 2020.

On Monday December 28, 2020, I contacted the local Ford dealer (Sam Pack 5 Star Ford). They were able to get my Focus in on December 30, 2020. So my car sat for two days, then drove it over to 5 Star Ford.

5 Star Ford service team could not replicate the steering issue, but noted that the power steering was making a grinding noise while turning the wheel. This led the service team to replace the Steering Gear Assembly.

The total cost of repair was quoted at just under $1,600.00. Since the car is still under warranty, I paid nothing out of pocket.

I am currently filling a Buy Back request with Ford, since this is a major reliability and safety concern.

My wife is the primary driver of the Ford Focus, and I am not willing to put the safety and well being of my wife and child in a vehicle that is not reliable.

How can I be certain that this issue will not happen again? The OEM steering gear assembly was replaced by an OEM steering gear assembly. The initial OEM steering gear assembly failed, and others have commented about having the same issue. How do we know this issue was resolved with the new steering gear assembly?

- focusseldallas, Garland, US