Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 GMC Acadia:

Mar 142020

Acadia

The contact owns a 2011 GMC Acadia. The contact stated while driving at various speeds, the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the coolant sensor was replaced however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was diagnosed by two additional unknown mechanics but not repaired. Neither the dealer nor the manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 145,000.

- New Bedford, MA, USA

Oct 012019

Acadia

The contact owns a 2011 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that the front of the vehicle caught on fire as it tried to enter the interstate from a ramp. The contact and her passenger quickly exited the vehicle after she pulled off to the shoulder. The complete front of the vehicle was destroyed by the fire. A police report was filed and the contact was the only one transported to the emergency room and was given a cat scan. There were no other injuries.the contact had not spoken to the dealer or manufacturer since the incident occurred back in 10/2019. The contact just received her VIN from the insurance company since the fire destroyed all traces of the VIN on the vehicle. The insurance company did not total the vehicle since it only had liability coverage. The failure mileage was 125,000.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Mar 152019

Acadia

While driving 70 mph, I was just about to pass a semi when the engine quit, as if I turned off the key, no power steering...nothing. I notice the "traction control" light come on for a second. I pulled to the side of the road. I attempted to restart and the "check engine" light would just flash yet the engine was not turning over. The vehicle was towed to GMC dealer and preliminary reports (incomplete) was it was computer/electrical related. I also noticed the rear lift gate would not open (although this has happened once before two years ago and GMC dealer found "fretting at the lgcm terminals." Possibility related, my wife told me only the passenger door window would roll down a few days before but only happened one time. She said she turned off the car and restarted a few minutes later all windows rolled down fine...just another electrical issue with this vehicle. This vehicle also has been having radio issues for years. 1/2 of the radio screen randomly disappears (left). Tapping it sometimes helps and sometimes is flickers wildly on and off. GMC dealer told us the radio needs replacing...like that's going to happen.

- Pasadena, MD, USA

Jan 022019

Acadia

While the car was being driven, it was noted that the power steering system became very hard to steer while driving on a side street. The car was stopped and the engine was turned off. When the engine went to be restarted, the engine would not restart. The car was towed, and was noted after investigation by the GMC dealer that the engine had a catastrophic failure with approx. 120,000 miles. It was fortunate this occurred on a side street with no traffic verses on a highway. Also it should be noted that the engine timing chain had to be replaced about 6 months ago due to being stretched.

- Lake Bluff, IL, USA

Jun 202018

Acadia

Under 100K miles and engine just blew up with out warning only had the car for 3 yrs prior when we first got it we had issues with the dvd cd player had to replace it and after 1 yr it went out again. Had issues with headlight bulb being replaced then blowing out. The big problem now is the engine and the car not running

- Cherokee, IA, USA

Dec 162017

Acadia

I took our 2011 GMC Acadia, mileage 80,637, to the dealership on 12/16/2017 because the display showed "service air bag." The service technician reported that he found dtc B0022 and B0015 stored in SDM, tested circuits, good. He found excessive resistance in both front seat belt anchor pretensions and recommended replacement of both front anchor pretensioners, cpa connectors with leads and reprogram the SDM. Repair estimate of $1,164.51. Charged $125 to diagnose. It was explained to me that the pretensioners are connected to and communicate with the air bag. In addition, the service technician found the front engine mount weak. Repair estimate of $447.85. The seat belt pretensioners and "service air bag" appear to be significant safety issues. I contacted GMC on 04/23/2018 to request repair assistance and to inquire if there was a recall, case # 8-4111443314. I was advised that I would have to pay out of pocket.

- Suwanee, GA, USA

Dec 252017

Acadia

Takata recall traction contro, L service stabilitrak, engine speed reduced light turned on in my 2011 GMC Acadia. Wouldn't go no faster then 15mph on a 55 mph road and the engine got really loud and rough. Was going 40 when the lights all came on driving down the road. This is very dangerous to drive when it keeps doing this. I'm scared to drive it now. Specially when I have a baby in the vehical with me. I'm not sure what causes it to do this. Some people say it's a glitch in the main vehicle computer, read it's a glitch in several different vehicals. This is something that seriously needs to be recalled and diagnosed and fixed immediately!

- Jackson, MI, USA

Sep 022017

Acadia

I was driving my 2011 GMC Acadia and all of a sudden the car started to decelerate. I pulled over and turn the car off and then the car would not start again. I had it towed to the dealership. The dealership is saying there is an issue with the timing chain. The dealership said that the timing chain failed. Upon doing research, I see that this is a common issue with GMC models, especially the Acadia model. The dealership is saying that the repair is going to cost me $7500. Given that this is well-known issue with the Acadia model, I feel that this issue should be recalled for the safety of consumers.

- Kershaw, SC, USA

Aug 042017

Acadia

The contact owns a 2011 GMC Acadia. While attempting to start the vehicle, the engine stalled. The failure occurred several times. The vehicle was taken to an unknown dealer where it was diagnosed that the engine cylinder head failed. The contact stated that oil penetrated the cylinder head, spark plug tube, and timing chain, which caused the engine to fail. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 95,000.

- Anchorage, AK, USA

May 192017

Acadia

The car has 77,000 miles and had to replace the timing chain and all components involved. The service manager said they had recalls on 2007-2009 vehicles buit had since fixed the problem but apparently not. I had my machanic fix this the cost was $1636 which was way cheaper than the dealer. I think that GMC should resolve this problem as I heard this is a common problem still.

- Mount Prospect, IL, USA

Mar 162017

Acadia

The 2011 GMC Acadia vehicle at 38K miles suffered a major leak in the cooling system.per NHTSA id number 10052213 & pb-13079, the fix did not stop the coolant leakage around the water pump seal. With the vehicle at 38K miles the dealer tested and charged for the replacement of the water pump. This should not have happened with this low mileage. The manufacturers safety issue in my part was unsatisfactory do to the replacement of the defective part not under warrenty.

- Palatine, IL, USA

Feb 082017

Acadia

I was driving down the road with almost 1/2 a tank of gas, and I lost power suddenly, and had no control over my vehicle because the power steering and everything quit. Because I am fairly strong, I was actually able to turn off the road into a safe place, and not be stranded on a very busy two lane road. After having the car towed to paul's automotive garage, I was advised that the vehicle was out of gas.

- Commerce Township, MI, USA

Jan 072017

Acadia

The contact owns a 2011 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that the vehicle had drastically reduced speed with no warning. Various warning lights flashed on the instrument panel, the service traction control light, the service stability traction control light and then the engine reduced speed warning indicator as the vehicle drastically reduced speed to less than 15 mph. The contact had to coast the vehicle over to the side of the road. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic for further inspection and diagnosis. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 55,675.

- Bensalem, PA, USA

Nov 122013

Acadia

I was complaining about the performance of this vehicle to the dealer for the past three years. Now that the warranty is expired, I had to change the driveshaft, fell out while transporting passengers; transfer case, the transition from drive, the automatic shift would jerk; a passenger I had in the car told me one day I would not make it up a hill. One week later it happened. Transmission, the vehicle wouldn't move even when gas was applied; 6 coils and plugs, the bad smell of something burning was scary. I had to pull off the road because the reduce power light come on. Yesterday, 12/26/16, I went through this again!!! there is a rubbing sound in one of my wheels, don't know what that is yet. I also changed the axels and about to change the tie rods for a clunking noise while making turns on uneven surfaces. I made numerous complaints to GMC hq and the dealer here in the vi from 2013. The dealer changed parts that were irrelevant and told me it was fixed.

- St. Thomas, VI, USA

Nov 182016

Acadia

The contact owns a 2011 GMC Acadia. While driving various speeds, the vehicle stalled and several warning indicators illuminated on the instrument panel. After pulling over and attempting to restart the vehicle, the vehicle restarted on the initial attempt. The failure occurred intermittently on several occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 10,000.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Oct 182016

Acadia

My 2011 GMC Acadia would not start one morning. We put a battery charger on it. It started but has a pinging sound. We checked the oil. The oil was reading low. We added 3 qts of oil. We had auto repair shop change oil and install new battery. I still noticed the pinging sound. That evening, as I was driving the engine started making terrible sounds and loosing power. I stopped driving and had it towed to dealer. They said the engine was blown. I had no warning lights come on at all. The dealer is telling me it is most likely the timing chain. The Acadia is only 5 yrs old with 116K miles. This should not be happening to this new of car. I have spoken to several mechanics and they all say this is a known issue with the Acadia and this should be a recall or warranty issue. Equally frustrating, I bought a warranty that I was told was an "extended warranty" that I thought would lover it now I'm being told the warranty was from the date of purchase which is not what the salesmen told me when I bought it. I feel totally taken advantage of as a women.

- New Haven, IN, USA

Oct 032016

Acadia

Motor stops running while in movement in gears of forward and reverse. Driver has no control of the car. Steering works but no breaks or power to power train. Motor just shuts down with out any notice. This happens while in movement on public roads, freeways and while parking.

- Arden, NC, USA

Sep 152016

Acadia

My vehicle has 136,000 miles and the timing chain is out, I have had to have the front passenger axle repaired, there is an oil leak. I had the vehicle checked while under warranty because the check engine light would come on, the service department said it was because the gas cap wasn't tightened. Now I have no warranty and the timing chain needs replaced. The first day I drove my vehicle the brake system failed, it was brand new. It had had several recalls.

- Wellington, AL, USA

Sep 122016

Acadia

Stopped at stop sign making right turn excellerate to 10-15 mph notice gargling sound or like a muffler explodes power reducted...with in a hundred yards or so engine light go on power (engine) failure not breaks or stearing available coast to curb try to start vehicle again...dead as a door nail. Flat bedded to kerbeck GMC dealership by 1:00pm 09/12/16...service mgr. Call at 6pm no news still being diagnosed, will call in the am...later that day called to tell me that it sucked a valve and has broken rocker assembly and seems to be damage in the lower end of the motor! need new engine...vehicle is in the hands of the dealer! no written report has be given to me, just verbal! passange in vehicle at time of occurance...

- Collingswood, NJ, USA

Nov 152015

Acadia

"tamara recall". I received several notices. Initially auto dealership denied recall existed. Now claims it doesn't apply to my car. Original owner and live in South Florida. What engine the heck is going on" do we have to have a fatal injury to get their attention? engine mounts keep breaking, 16,000 mile intervals. First time dealership replaced. Now at 33,000 miles my phone problem? guess we need catastrophic failure before manufacturer engineers better engine mounts"! low mileage vehicle, careful driver on good roads. Please send feedback.

- Miami, FL, USA