8.2

$460

Most common solutions:

2. replace gear box (1 reports)
  3. replace transmission control assemby (1 reports)
  4. replaced shift cable and control module (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2018 GMC Acadia:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your GMC dealer.

Apr 302021

Acadia SLT V6

It’s scary, aggravating, annoying, worrisome, and I'm not sure what to do when it's happening. Should be a recall!

- tomblin, Harts, US

Jul 042020

Acadia SLT-2 3.6L

click to see larger images

I just bought this 2018 Acadia with 26k On July 3rd, 2020 and on the 2nd day this park issue started giving me problems. I am planning on going back to the dealership I purchased it from (Honda world) not a GMC dealer and ask them to buy it back from me and give me back my down payment. Wish me luck :)

- dlstevenson, El Dorado, US

May 012020

Acadia SLT-1 3.6L V6

This problem was very annoying, but I don't know how unsafe the vehicle was to drive. The problem occurred when you would put it in park but it would not allow you to turn it off. I had to take it back to the GMC dealer a 2nd time because the first "fix" did nothing.

If this is a known design flaw which is causing a safety issue with the owner not being able to leave a parking lot, GMC should step up and recall the issue.

- Eric A., Hilliard, OH, US

Nov 012019

Acadia SLT V6

The problem seems to be like everyone else. When you park and shift to park and turn off the car you get a message that you need to shift to park. I have to shift back and forth several times before it thinks the car is in park. If the car is not in park it stays on and drains the battery. Once I got the car back from the dealership after about a week the problem is still occurring.

- blacksuntzu, Severn, MD, US

Jan 012020

Acadia V6

Tried to park the other day and put my 2018 Acadia into park and pushed the off button....it kept dinging, the lights stayed on - inside & out and I got out and tried to lock it...and it wouldn't lock. The message said "shift to park" - well it was in park, but wouldn't turn off all the way. I started it back up and pushed the off button again....samething happened. I kept starting it, putting it in drive and reverse and back to park and it still didn't turn off. After sitting in my car...because I couldn't leave it dinging like that with all the lights on, I googled SHIFT TO PARK and saw the lawsuit and various videos on how other people dealt with the same problem. So the next day when I parked at work of course it did the samething and I jiggled the gear shift and it eventually made the message disappear and all the lights went out. Very annoying not being able to get out of your car when your ready to. This car is practically new and its doing this?! I started loving this car, but not now!

- Carmen W., Saint Louis, MO, US

Sep 022019

Acadia SL1 V6

When I put car in park and shut it off, it dings and flashes shift car to park. I have to turn car back on put car in lowest gear it will go in and then put it in park again. Not sure what the problem is but seems like computer is not recognizing the park mode.

- Esther E., Deltona, US

Aug 122019

Acadia SLT V6

2018 GMC Acadia purchased a little over a year ago began having trouble detecting when the vehicle was in park. The computer would play a very loud alert and the message "shift to park" would flash. I would have to work with 5 or 6 times to get the vehicle to register it was in park. I'm so disappointed. Have an appt to take it to the shop Monday, August 19, 2019. I will update this post.

- Kimberly R., Arcadia, LA, US

Jul 012019

Acadia Denali

I have an appointment to take the car in on Friday. Right now when I shift to park the warning light comes on and tells me it's not in park. I have to wiggle the gear shifter until it senses I'm in park and allows me to turn the car off. Yesterday it also would not allow me to turn the engine off because it said a remote was in the car. A remote was not in the car.

- Julie B., Fuquay Varina, NC, US

Jul 102019

Acadia Dinali V6

GMC has know about this issue since 2017 and has not come up with a fix and is selling new cars with the same issue.

- David M., Lady Lake, FL, US

Apr 242019

Acadia Denali

The reason we bought new vs used was so that we did not have problems. This is the 4th issue with this vehicle. Good news is that the dealership has been great to work with.

- Myra T., Morpeth Ontario, ON, Canada

Apr 072019

Acadia SLT V6

I got the car and I loved it. After having it for a year, all a sudden when I put the car in park and go to shut it off, the Shift to Park message shows on my reader when the car is clearly in park. You cannot leave the car without somehow getting it to go off. After shutting off the car several times and going through the gear shifts it finally stops. I have read a lot of stories of the same problem.

I preferably want a payoff for this car and get a safer vehicle.

When I got this car I asked for a family safe reliable car for me and my two children. This is most definitely NOT SAFE! And from I hear this is not even fixable even though I've been told from the dealership it is. I feel like they tell you this for security and not the right reason.

- asmith95, Sylvania, US