2.1

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 GMC Terrain:

Apr 202022

Terrain

Hello, I have spent a lot of money on this mobile car and even so, it continues to cause problems and the oil runs out too quickly.

- Indianapolis , IN, USA

May 062021

Terrain

Vehicle stopped while driving three different times. Whenever alarm is turned on, car sometimes does not start next day. I've had to jump start it over 7 times in 9 months. Vehicle scheduled for review by dealer in three weeks.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Aug 282021

Terrain

When driving my Terrain, my traction control light came on, then a message on the display saying service stabilitrack and engine power is reduced. I couldn't go over a certain speed. I've taken it to Autozone to be put on the computer and it shows up stabilitrack. The car stops running and it takes a few minutes to get it running again. I just bought the car and I'm having problems with these lights and controls. I have read online about this same issue. Is this a recall or does it have to be more complaints about this first? I love my car but these issues are too much. The car has 211k miles on it. Please help

- Trion, GA, USA

Aug 282021

- Trion, GA, USA

Sep 202020

Terrain

Iin early 2020 I reached out to 2 different GMC dealerships in regard to the recalls that existed on my vehicle's engine and oil consumption. The vehicle was overconsuming oil (I would track the oil levels) and needed excessive oil changes. The first dealership said that my vehicle didn't qualify for the recall due to mileage when I just received the recall notice. Second dealership wouldn't even look at vehicle. A few months later the engine blew, spilling oil everywhere. The engine now needs a total engine replacement. Had the dealerships agreed to look at the oil consumption issues the vehicle was having and had knowledge of the GMC recalls on the vehicle, I wouldn't have an inoperable vehicle and needed to purchase a new vehicle due to the engine issues not being covered that were common knowledge on these make/model/year vehicles. I have tried to work with dealerships as well as my the financer of the vehicle, GMC needs to acknowledge this issue and contact me. Since the warranty ended on the vehicle the 1st year I owned it, I have put nearly $10,000 into faulty parts and replacements on the vehicle that weren't "covered". I would like this situation investigated due to the safety issues the engine caused that were refused to be looked at and now the negative financial aspect it has caused me.

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Mar 192021

Terrain

GMC 2013 Terrain. Faulty engine make. Causing excessive oil consumption. Never alerted by any warning lights. Safety concern of engine possibly dying at any moment. GMC not willing to cover repair costs, even though there was a settlement reached, and they admitted over 40,000 customers not notified of engine issue. Please help!

- Bourne, MA, USA

Mar 292021

Terrain

My vehicle eats up oil. I just recently found out about the excessive oil consumption investigation. My check engine light has been coming on. Sometimes when I fill it with gas it goes off. A week ago it came on and then as I was driving down a busy street my traction control light came on, then a message on the display saying service stabilitrack and engine power is reduced. I couldn't go over 35mph. I took it to oreily the following morning and the code P0175 showed 'fuel system too rich'. I found a recall of an O2 sensor. I couldn't get into a GM shop for another week. Today they fixed the recall but told me the special coverage adjustment for the oil consumption was expired in 7/2020 for my vehicle. I chatted with GM online and they didn't answer all my questions. Even though I found the info on this here website about the investigation and the time limit and mileage on when I could get this problem fixed, GM would not explain in detail to clarify this info. It said 7 years and 6mos or 120K miles from when the vehicle was placed in service. They said third party sites like these aren't reliable. The shop mentioned I should just keep oil in it and that getting the pistons fixed would be $5K. My extended warranty does not cover and I was never notified about the investigation otherwise I would've never gotten the vehicle or at least got it fixed in said time limit.

- Columbia, MO, USA

Nov 012020

Terrain

This vehicle is consuming oil at an excessive rate. This has caused other issues such as solenoids needing replacement as well as a timing chain. This seems to be a common issue among this year make and model. It is extremely dangerous to drive. I have to add oil in between oil changes and if the timing chain goes due to this, it can cause a major accident.

- Speonk, NY, USA

Feb 082021

Terrain

PCV valve froze causing rear crankshaft seal to fail. Engine needed to ne replaced. GM won't honor sb 14882. Car started to run sluggish in cold weather. Stalled and restarted. Parked in driveway overnight in 6 degree weather. Would not start. Oil qall over driveway.

- Macomb, MI, USA

Aug 012019

Terrain

My 2013 GMC Terrain died while I was driving down the road, it was found to have excessive oil consumption, none of the warning lights in the car came on not even the oil light to indicate low oil. The car had bad piston rings which was part of the cause. GM knew about this issue but didn't properly notify everyone involved. I knew nothing about this issue until it happened to me & later received a letter stating my car was inadvertently left out of the initial sca. The fact that these cars die while driving without any warning is extremely dangerous. I have children that were in the car when this happened we are lucky we didn't hit anyone and no one hit us. GM has been unwilling to help with any of this

- Bernardston, MA, USA

Nov 042020

Terrain

My vehicle began by stalling out when I was in reverse, while driving and would stall out when stopped at a traffic light or stop sign.

- Mantua, NJ, USA

Dec 012019

Terrain

My vehicle is consuming too much oil.

- Monroeville, PA, USA

Jan 292019

Terrain 4-cyl

2013 GMC Terrain with 72K miles (about 5.5 years old at the time). In frigid temperatures (-15 degrees Fahrenheit), the vehicle rpms started fluctuating wildly while in idle, and would shut off entirely. The PCV port froze and lead to blowing out the rear main seal. Dealership told me it was not under warranty (despite the existing power train warranty and service bulletin 14882). Also the exhaust manifold was cracked (which should have been covered by the emissions warranty). Total repair was $2,800.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Feb 142020

Terrain

The contact owns a 2013 GMC Terrain. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 45 mph, the vehicle lost power steering and stalled. There was no warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the moran Chevrolet clinton twp located at (35500 S gratiot ave, clinton township, mi 48035) to be diagnosed. The contact was informed that the vehicle was not subjected to a recall or to tsb-14882. The rear main seal was replaced and the PCV valve cleaned. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 92,000.

- Roseville, MI, USA

Jan 242020

Terrain

The car has oil consumption issues which is causing it to stall. My car stalled while driving in traffic which could very easily cause a bad accident GM is aware of the issue but won't fix it. I am already on my second engine do to this excessive oil consumption.

- Vernon, VT, USA

Jan 192020

Terrain

On a cold 12 degree day on 1/19/2020 I was driving my 2013 GMC Terrain on a busy state highway doing the speed limit of 55 mph. Out of no where I began to smell the odor of burning oil and seen white smoke coming from the rear of my vehicle. As soon as I noticed it my car's gauges started coming on. The check engine light, a warning to for "service stabilitrak", then the warning for "engine power reduced". at the moment my car all the sudden shut off while driving down a major highway! there was no power steering and it was very hard for me steer my car into the parking lot of walmart and safely off the road. Once in the parking lot I got out of the car and checked my oil. Smoke is rolling out of the dipstick shaft. I check my oil weekly due to GM's oil consumption issues with the 2013 GMC Terrains and on 1/15/2020 the oil was at full, was of normal color and consistency when I fueled and checked it that day. So I was shocked to see that there was no oil on my dipstick and instead a milky brownish sludge on it. I sent my fiance to buy me 2 quarts of oil just to get it to the walmart service department so they could look at it since I was in the walmart parking lot. I added the oil drove it 100 yards to the service dept of walmart. The service man pulled it into the garage and then informed me a few minutes later that the rear main seal blew and oil was flowing out of it. It was not driveable so I had to have it towed to a GM dealer. The GM dealer called me this morning 1/21/2020 to inform me that the rear main seal blew due to moisture in the intake and a froze the PCV module and caused to much pressure to build up and blew the seal. The dealer quoted the repairs to be $2065.69 and informed me that the repairs are not covered under the GM service bulletin #14882 because my VIN number is not included in the service bulletin.

- Bettsville, OH, USA

Nov 142019

Terrain

While moderately accelerating from a stop or while in motion, the transmission slams into a forward gear with a loud noise and jerk. This is an all wheel drive vehicle.

- San Pedro, CA, USA

May 152017

Terrain

The contact owns a 2013 GMC Terrain. The contact's wife heard a grinding noise coming from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a certified mechanic who stated that there was a large hole in the transfer case and the transmission failed. The certified mechanic stated that the transfer case needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer and dealer were not made aware of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 72,000.

- Carl Junction, MO, USA

Sep 302019

Terrain

The contact owns a 2013 GMC Terrain. While the vehicle was stopped in the drive gear, it shut off and then restarted without warning. In addition, when the key was released from the ignition, the vehicle moved. Furthermore, the check engine indicator illuminated and the transmission control module and torque converter warning messages were displayed. The vehicle was taken to williams Buick GMC (8201 South blvd, charlotte, nc 28273, (704) 697-1600), but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and did not assist. The failure mileage was 136,059.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

May 012018

Terrain

I have to check and add oil to my 2013 GMC Terrain every single time I get gas. This is a huge hazard, because when it is low, the oil light does not illuminate. I am worried for mine and my daughters safety that I will get stranded on the road.

- Kansas City, MO, USA