8.0

$190

Most common solutions:

2. new battery (11 reports)
  3. if honda does not solve such problem, give loyalty elsware (10 reports)
  4. replace battery (10 reports)
  5. alternator replacement (5 reports)
  6. software upgrade (3 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Honda CR-V:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.

Sep 102020

CR-V

Battery drains after a day.

I replaced battery to no avail.

Update from Nov 18, 2020: Replaced relays etc. but nothing worked.

I then noticed the issue occurs when the navigation panel stays on after the keys are removed.

I reset every option I could to factory defaults and the issue was fixed. Since then I left the car for 10 days and it turned on like a champ.

I guess my kids put on a screen saver that messed something up.

- Dave C., Delray Beach, US

Nov 232020

CR-V

This is the third dead battery in 4 years. I've heard that an A/C relay may be draining... Going to try. The dealership has been unhelpful.

- Aaron W., Houston, TX, US

May 212021

CR-V

This was my daughter’s car and the battery has and continues to die prematurely. Resolution is to constantly buy new batteries about every 15 months.

- Betty L., Phoenix, US

Jun 202012

CR-V LX

6 months after I bought brand new I was left stranded at a car wash with my 2 young kids. I shut off the car as I went through to save on gas and wouldn't start. People had to push me out of the stall. Oy vey! Called road side assistance and wrecker came to give me a jump but wouldn't start. It was towed to the dealer. The battery was so dead that it couldn't be jumped. They said this sometimes happens because the batteries sit a long time. They gave me a new battery under warranty and I thought that was it. 2 years later 2014 battery dead again! Reluctantly they put in a new battery again, no charge and I was on my merry way. It was at this point I bought jumper cables for the car. A little bit later there was a recall on battery drain issue and they updated this and I thought, Oh that's why! and I would be fine from there forward. 3 years later 2017 the battery was dead again!!!!!! This time I was done with the Honda batteries and went and purchased a battery at the local car part store and thought I was OK, no more Honda batteries. It's winter 2021 and my battery was dead this morning. My husband jumped it and it's fine for now but I know I need another battery. I've had the car for 9 years and have gone through 3 batteries and onto my 4th. Just bought a newer car and it wasn't a Honda. Such a shame that the batteries are unreliable. Haven't had a lot of problems other than it going through oil.

- Stacey D., Weare, US

May 202020

CR-V

Another dead battery issue that Honda refuses to accept or repair. Battery changed several times, alternator changed. Get up this morning battery dead yet again. Have to carry a booster pack in this thing since i got it. Never again.

- Wayne B., campbells bay, QC, Canada

Sep 152013

CR-V EXL 3.2L

My 2012 Honda CR-V had to have a new battery! This just doesn't see right that with so few miles on it that the battery would die! Very inconvenient as I was at a friend's house and they had to jump start my car to get to an auto parts dealer to buy a new battery! Since it was out of warranty I did not contact Honda for advice. But if this continues I will have to move my loyalty elsewhere with an American made vehicle that has lifetime warranty!

Aug 312015

CR-V EXL 3.2L

Again, this is the 2nd time I've had to replace my battery in my 2012 Honda CR-V. It has 77,416 miles on it and this time it died in my driveway before heading out to work! SUCH A PAIN IN THE BUTT ... why isn't HONDA recognizing this as a possible RECALL! I've read online where several folks have had issues with this and Honda refuses to acknowledge it. Otherwise, the car is fantastic and I love it...but Honda's lack of interest is concerning in that I don't feel like once the warranty is out they could care less. I called Honda Customer Service and they literally said once it is out of warranty any issues become those for the owner to resolve.

Sep 122017

CR-V EXL 3.2L

This is the THIRD BATTERY I've had in my 2012 Honda CR-V with less than 117,000 miles on it! After researching the internet apparently the AC Relay needed replaced. So I am trying that to see if it helps in preventing the premature discharge! I've averaged replacing my battery about every 18 months! This is ridiculous! Honda should research and do a recall on this!

Apr 082018

CR-V EX-L

This is our second battery fail. Having AAA jump the car again so we can put in a new battery. Hopefully larger and better. Honda says there is nothing wrong with the other battery. It's still under warranty for two more years. I see so many complaints regarding battery failure on this CR-V and it covers a number of years; With Honda not helping anyone. Sounds like they are jumping around getting money out of people so they are not responsible and the consumer ends up eating it in the long run. Does anyone have any solutions? Our engine size is 185h, 2.4L, 4cylinder. Will let you know if there are more problems in the future. Not sure a larger, stronger battery will fit. Will find out later today. 04/09/2018 And we are going to another mechanic as we no longer trust Honda to fix the problem.

- Linda C., West Branch, US

Feb 152018

CR-V LX 3.2L

THIS PROBLEM IS WIDESPREAD ENOUGH THAT HONDA SHOULD BE LIABLE FOR FIXING THE PROBLEM.

THIS IS THE SECOND BATTERY I'VE HAD TO REPLACE IN 16 MONTHS. THIS IS THEIR MISTAKE!!!

- Bruce A., Hayward, US

Oct 312017

CR-V EX-L 2.3L

Since I purchased my 2012 CRV I've replaced the battery 3 times. Today the third battery was installed and the dealer insists that all systems are operating within acceptable limits. The second battery was replaced under warranty but I had to pay for this one and the diagnostics. In 2015 I reported it to a class action lawsuit website that all other 2012 CRV owners should report on too. Here is the site to report your issue: http://www.consumerclassactionlawyers.com/2012-honda-crv-battery-class-action-investigation.html

- Jeff C., Bensalem, US

Aug 152016

CR-V EXL

Bought brand new. First time it happened a month after buying and died while pumping gas, all of four minutes. Honda refused to do anything. After taking it back the third time they said Honda released a SR to update the computer. Ok, fine. It was free. This has happened at least 10 times over four years. After the third time and a planned trip to the beach, I went to Interstate to get a new battery. After buying the battery and having it installed the morning of our trip, the interstate guys finally decides to tell me that Honda uses interstate batteries and he has replaced numerous NEW CRV batteries for the EXACT SAME ISSUE. This is my first and last Honda. If Honda won't fix a SIMPLE that could result in a BAD SITUATION, then I don't trust Honda. I would NEVER let my daughters drive this CRV or ANY Honda. Shame on you Honda. First-time and last-time Honda buyer here......

- John B., Tega Cay, SC, US

Jan 242017

CR-V VTI-L 2.5L

I was able to recharge the battery for some time and it lasted for a week. Then it goes flat again and again. I bought a new battery..

- mycar101, Broome, Australia

Jan 102017

CR-V

Ever since I bought my CR-V the battery has been an issue. It would hesitate in starting. I replaced the battery when the car was just a couple of years old hoping a better battery would solve the problem. Less than 2 years later I had to replace it again. Our 2011 Ford still has it's original battery. I think there's something in Honda's system that's causing the batteries to die early. If this happens again in the next couple of years I'll likely have to replace the car and it won't be with a Honda. Too bad. I like everything else about the car, but I can't stand to have car trouble and not know when my car is going to run or not.

- Patricia B., Snoqualmie, WA, US

Nov 242012

CR-V ES 4 cyl

Ever since I bought the vehicle it has had serious problems with the battery. It will sit for just a couple of days and then not start. The type of weather is irrelevant. Dealer insisted that nothing was wrong, no draw on battery/system. Charged battery, then a couple of days later it was dead again. Multiple trips to dealer, they "supercharged" (?) the battery... same result. TSB computer patch did not work. Battery boiling on inspection by private shop. Replaced battery. Ok for a few months, then dead again after sitting for 3 days. Charged, determined no excess draw, suspected AC compressor clutch issue (draw), replaced relay. Waiting to see if that fixed the problem. All of our other vehicles start after being parked for weeks. You should be able to park at an airport for a 7-day trip and your vehicle should start when you return, plain and simple. This is a well-known and apparently widespread problem that Honda knows exists yet they have not properly addressed the issue.

- E W., Springfield, IL, US

Sep 022016

CR-V EX-L

I purchased my Honda new in 2012. From the minute I bought the car, I started having battery problems. Honda initially tried to blame it on me (saying I must have been running the accessories too long, etc). Luckily, AAA of SoCal ran a diagnostics and proved that the brand new battery in my car was bad. Eventually, in 2013, Honda accepted the AAA report and replaced the battery.

All was good for a time, and in 2014 I started having problems again. I was notified about a recall or some kind of fix for battery draining when I went to the local dealership for an oil changed. I was informed that the life on that battery may have been shorted by the issue but that Honda would NOT give me another battery. Jerks.

Within a few months, the battery died. I replaced it with a battery from AAA of SoCal. This battery was supposed to have a 5 year life. It's been less than 2 years, and I'm having problems again.

To summarize..... my Honda CRV EX-L is only 4-1/2 years old and I'll be on my 4th battery. This is extremely frustrating!!! Honda needs to figure out why this car is killing batteries and causing them to fail well before they should. I can't believe 3 batteries with expected lives of 3-5 years should all fail within such a short period of time.

- Lisa M., Chatsworth, CA, US

Jul 012016

CR-V LX 3.2L

This was the letter I sent both Crest and the Corporate. Service Manager called once to leave a message and has yet to return my calls. Since I purchased my CRV Honda in 2012, I have faithfully brought it to the dealer, Crest Honda for all oil changes and preventive maintenance. I have never had any issues. The service has always been great, until now. COMPLAINT! I brought my car in last Thursday. I explained to them that on 5 or 6 occasions I have had to have my battery boosted. I have had my battery checked with 2 different sources and was told the battery is fine. So, the service department checked it out and said the battery was fine and they didn’t know what the problem was. But did say I needed 2 new tires. I agreed to that.

As I was paying, I asked the guy what would cause that to happen with my battery. He went on to say in the CRVs and one other car he mentioned, there is an issue that the car needs to be reprogrammed. I said well why didn't anyone say that today? He said maybe they didn't know. He said not all of them know that. I thought, wow I trust this place to know my car. It's the dealership where I bought it, I should feel confident with them, that’s why I have always brought it there. I said well can they fix it. He said not today, there's no one here that can do that type work anyway. So I scheduled an appointment for today (Monday) and had to hire someone to come sit with my elderly mother again. I know that's not your problem. But it is a problem when the dealership led me to believe there was nothing wrong. If I wouldn’t have asked the one closing out my sale, I still would have thought everything is okay. So having to make another trip almost 20 miles away was a problem for me. Upon starting my car to leave after paying, I discovered that the oil change light had been reset to 100%. I didn't even get an oil change. When I went back and told the service guy, he said well you can just keep up with it and come back at 50% (which is what it was at when I arrived) or we can change it now while you wait. I had already wasted half the day so I decided to stay and have it done. He didn't charge for it and I was grateful for that.

I came back today for the repair that I was told would be close to $100 to reprogram the system. After 2 hours they came and said. You have an issue with the Gauge control module, that’s draining the battery. We don't have a part, so you will have to come back. The cost is $770 some odd change. I declined the service. I feel my car issue should have been addressed the first time and at least the 2nd time upon my return visit.

I suppose I have some decisions to make about my vehicle. I feel now that I can’t trust the Crest Honda service department with my car. I hope you understand my concerns. I am not comfortable investing in this "fix". I have always shared positively about my experiences with Honda with others and often encouraged my friends and family to purchase a Honda. But I am one unsatisfied Honda customer at this time. I would appreciate a response in this matter and a way to reconcile our customer/dealer relationship.

- Rita R., Nashville, TN, US

Feb 152015

CR-V ES 4 cyl

Battery loses cranking amps to start car and have to jump off (slightly) and immediately cranks. Battery and alternator check out fine by dealership. Dealership did replace so-called" chip" but has recurred 4 times since. High Point, NC dealership wants to charge $ now with no guarantee-trying another dealership in Winston-Salem, NC today-8/18/16. Seems to occur every 4,000 miles. Alt. light or battery light never comes on---very annoying especially for me (hubby with Chev.Z71 ). Honda needs to find and correct/recall problem--chip or no chip.

- Randy S., Winston-Salem, NC, US

Jun 122012

CR-V LX 1.9L V4

I drove off the lot 4 miles down the road at a store would not crank or go into gear, called nalley in brunswick ga to send a service truck to have it jumped off. I had the battery and alternator changed out. The dealership said there was no recalls about this problem. It is now 6/21/2012, and I can't remember how many times the battery has died on me. I started keeping a quick start battery charger wit me at all times

- dickiebr, kingsland, GA, US

Feb 222016

CR-V LX

2012 CRV battery running down. Battery and alternator checked out good, SW upgrade is done last week again battery down today, it's very inconvenient.

- Manoj B., Redmond, WA, US