8.4

$130

Most common solutions:

2. replace battery (5 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Honda CR-V:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.

Jul 022021

CR-V EX 3.2L

This is the third time in two years that this has happened. Doesn't seem to be a battery problem as the battery was pretty new the first time. The second time I had driven 10+ miles, turned off for 1/2 hours and then wouldn't start without a jump. Have full lights, radio, etc. but starter just clicks. Have now replaced the battery even though I am not sure I need to. Very irritating that it is so unpredictable and doesn't seem to have a cause.

- Mary G., Vancouver, US

Apr 012019

CR-V EX

Purchased 2016 CRV and have now had to replace the battery twice since owning it (on 3rd battery including original). I have address electrical concerns with the dealership and was blown off and told since we live in a hot climate (TX) it drains quicker, and then told the battery was defective. I have been stranded twice - thank god in places where I was safe and able to get help.

- Shannon Q., Waxahachie, US

Feb 022019

CR-V EX 2.4L

First battery died after only 33,769 miles. Got new one. Second battery died at 46,889 miles and had to purchase a new one again.

- Barbara L., Crete, US

Sep 042020

CR-V EX 2.4L

This is the second battery that died in 4 years and I had to pay for both batteries, even though I bought the 7 year warrantee.

- Barbara L., Crete, US

Jan 182017

CR-V EXL 2.4L

• CVT transmission

I bought the car brand new in May 2016 and the first winter I was stranded in the freezing cold in Utah. I had the car jumped off by roadside assistance and drove it about 20 miles. When I got home and tried to restart the car it wouldn't start. I had it towed about 30 miles to the dealership to have the battery replaced then had to waste more time driving the sixty mile round trip to pick up the car. I was pissed. I have an old car with a four year old battery that works just fine. I've never had a battery die after eight months but I gave them the benefit of the doubt it was just a bad one. Wrong, it had three more times, every winter.

- Michael R., Eagle Mountain, UT, US

Feb 202019

CR-V LX 2.4L

I WENT TO DEALER. I EXPLAIN THAT BATTERY DID NOT WORK. I BOUGHT HONDA CRV 2016. DECEMBER 5, 2018 MILES 28,132 PREVIOUS OWNER LEASED. I AM SENIOR LADY RETIRED.

IN FEBRUARY 2019 MY CAR WAS 31,120 MILES. I WENT TO DEALER MR. STEVEN BALDINI (MANAGER) MAKE A COMPLAIN WHO SOLD ME THE CAR AND I TOLD HIM BATTERY ID DEAD, I REQUESTED BATTERY HAS TO BE CHANGE. THEY CHARGE AND LATER HAS SAME PROBLEMS.

THANKS GOD, MY DAUGHTER BOUGHT FOR ME GOOLOO JUMP STARTER POWER BANK. IT'S DEAD BATTERY EVERY DAY I HAVE TO CHARGE POWER BANK. I WENT TODAY JUNE 3, 20 DEALER, THEY TOLD ME BATTERY IS NOT UNDER WARRANTY, ONLY UNTIL 36,000 MILES.

MY CAR HAS 38,178 MILES. I have RETIRED LADY. THEY KNOW THE PROBLEM HONDA CRV IS BATTERY. I WAS DOING MY RESEARCH AND MANY PEOPLE HAVE THE SAME PROBLEMS. PLEASE THEY HAVE TO BE REPORTED AND FIX THIS PROBLEMS. DEALERS AND EMPLOYEES TAKE ADVANTAGE AND DON'T FIX THIS PROBLEMS.

- Guadalupe W., PLANTATION, US

May 252020

CR-V LX

• CVT transmission

This is the third time our CRV's battery unexpectedly died. We left our cabin - the car started up just fine - and drove 25 minutes to the ferry terminal. Parked, all lights off, ignition switch in the off position (no aux or any other intentional draw from the battery). The ferry arrived but our car would not start - wouldn't turn over and appeared as though the battery was dead. The fine ferry folks had a portable start kit which got us going no problem. Loaded on the ferry, shut the car off for an hour's boat ride, crossed fingers, and the car started without assistance - no problem. I've had the battery and charging system tested twice and both times the results indicated everything was normal. The second set of tests was done by the Honda dealership. So what gives Honda? It seems many are people have trouble with CR-V batteries going dead and solutions are few and not obviously correct for this particular scenario.

- Jim W., Bellingham, WA, US

Nov 062019

CR-V Touring 2.4L I4

• CVT transmission

First occurrence of crank-no-start happened in October 2018. Honda Roadside Assistance was called to the parked vehicle at a local shopping center parking lot to jump start the vehicle. The tow truck driver commented dead batteries are a common recurrence on CR-V's.

Second occurrence of crank-no-start happened this morning. CR-V was parked overnight in garage; approximately 40 degrees F in the garage overnight. Packed the workbags and kid into the car, pushed the ignition button and lights flickered, a faint crank and no start. I jump started the CR-V with my 2016 Honda Pilot; which was purchased one month before the CR-V and has no battery issues.

I called American Honda to obtain a case number. The operator suggested having the dead vehicle towed to the dealer when it happens for a third time. I will not waste my time on that rain dance; if I take the vehicle into the dealer, the issue will not repeat itself.

I called the dealer to ask about battery replacements. Service Advisor commented CR-V batteries are undersized from the factory, at 410CCA. The service replacement battery sold by the dealer is 500CCA. I will be replacing the battery this coming week.

- Amory D., Oswego, IL, US

Jul 082019

CR-V Touring 4 cylinder

Just purchased this CPO Honda CR-V and the battery died twice in 3 days. It's in the shop right now. Very maddening to learn that this is a persistent problem with CR-Vs and Honda still certifies a car with this known issue.

- daburkemm, Deerfield, US

Dec 262018

CR-V Limited 2.4L

• CVT transmission

Honda CRV has the smallest battery in any car. Because of this any minor drain or low performance of the battery causes the car to not start. Honda doesn't care about the inconvenience and safety risk involved. Therefore, I don't care about Honda and won't buy another Honda.

- Ronnie S., Humble, US