Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Hyundai Azera:

Nov 142018

Azera

Any time I let my foot off the gas the car dashboard lights dim, the radio loses volume, and the headlights dim. This is all very noticable. Recently the car would sometimes feel as though the brakes had been stomped on. When this happens I get and ABS system failure alert on the dashboard and my check engine light turns on. A couple of times this happened it has completely shut off the engine. Because it turned off I didn't have power steering, so I had to pull over and restart my engine. This happens as I'm driving, I noticed it happens when it shifts down gears. Sometimes when I accelerate and the car shift gears up it can happen as well. I found a notice about a recall on these cars for the ABS module system issue. Recall #172.

- Cedar City, UT, USA

Jun 012018

Azera

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Azera. The contact stated that the low beam headlights failed to provide adequate illumination while driving. The contact had to engage the high beam headlights to view the road. Also, when the brake pedal was depressed, the illumination from the low beam headlights dimmed. Furthermore, the instrument panel lighting failed to operate and the gauges could not be viewed. The vehicle was taken to an unknown dealer and the alternator was replaced, but the vehicle was not repaired. The battery and the low and high beam headlight bulbs were also replaced, but the failure persisted. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted. The failure mileage was 135,000.

- Hardwick, GA, USA

Mar 072018

Azera

The contact owned a 2006 Hyundai Azera. While the vehicle was parked, it caught on fire. The fire department was able to extinguish the fire. The contact stated that the fire caused damage to the mobile home sub structure. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 18V026000 (service brakes, hydraulic). Fitzgerald's countryside Hyundai was called at 727-797-6369 and an appointment was made to have the recall remedy performed; however, the vehicle caught on fire prior to the repair date. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and provided case number: 11074631. The approximate failure mileage was 80,300.

- Clearwater, FL, USA

Feb 132018

Azera

I get a lot of water through the firewall and trunk.when I use my turn signal my running lights go out and my headlights go dim and I have no control over my lights ABS warning light comes on every thing electrical goes haywire.pleas help me this happens all day every time I get on the road

- Parrish, FL, USA

Feb 102018

Azera

Driving 2006 Hyundai azetra on I-95 on Feb 10, 2018 @10:30 pm all dash lights beginning with ABS brakes went ballistic and car began to buck like a Bronco, then began to drive car 2 to 3 lanes on right lane to exit in deerfield at sw 10th St on an incline ramp in which brakes were failing and steering wheel not working to maneuver a turn. Had to forcefully turn steering wheel hard to right to avoid causing car to crash or harming others on road (which caused extreme discomfort on shoulder, elbow, wrist and hand today) and engine turned off which car coasted downhill and made first right turn coasted a few feet and car stopped. When car was enabled onto flat bed by tow co, noticed red fluid on ground which could be transmission or gasoline"?" everything happened so quickly; very scared for our lives. Didn't sleep well and uneasy today I also notified Hyundai today @1-800-633-5151 and gave a report in which a case worker will notify us in 3 to 5 business days, confirmation # 11007142

- Hollywood, FL, USA

Aug 092016

Azera

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Azera. While driving 35 mph, the headlights malfunctioned and dimmed without warning. Also, the vehicle speed reduced independently on more than one occasion and the ABS failure indicator illuminated without warning. An independent mechanic replaced the alternator, but the failures recurred. Kennesaw Hyundai in kennesaw, Georgia was contacted about the series of failures and stated that the failures corrected themselves. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Kennesaw, GA, USA

Feb 122016

Azera 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Azera. The contact stated that all of the lights on the instrument panel, the air conditioning unit, and headlights turned on and off independently several times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the alternator may be defective. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who was unable to determine the cause of the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 72,000.......updated 04/01/16 consumer stated the service technician that the part has been changed this why the number has been recently changed, clearly showing the harass was defective. Updated 6/6/18

- Bradenton, FL, USA

Jun 172015

Azera

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Azera. The contact stated that when the key was turned to the on position, the engine failed to start. The contact mentioned that the vehicle made a clink noise and then stalled. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who stated that the vehicle experienced a security failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Aug 182014

Azera

I was at a stop light and it turned green so I went and in the middle of me turning it died and started back up. It does this to me alot and I have had it in the shop they cant find anything wrong. I also have a problem with the lights dimming everytime I decrease speed and my rpms drop dramatically low.

- Twin Falls , ID, USA

Jul 252008

Azera

While driving at night the headlights dim drastically while the car is downshifting while slowing to a stop. Each time the car downshifts the lights dim. I have taken it in multiple times to the dealership and even shown them the tsb pertaining to this issue and they have yet to fix this issue. Every time I take it in to the dealership there is some excuse why it is happening and it generally centers around supposed corrosion on the battery terminals or I need my battery replaced. After cleaning terminals, replacing battery, and whatever else they suggested, the headlights still dim. They refuse to do the fix as described in the tsb and say that everything checks out fine and there is no need to replace anything, except the battery which didn't fix the problem. The first time I brought this up was in 2008 and multiple time per year since with no resolution. It keeps getting worse every year with the amount of strain on the system and aging of the vehicle. I fear that something or someone is going to dart out in front of me when this is happening and I won't be able to react in time since my headlights are not projecting their full distance when this happens.

- Goddard, KS, USA

Dec 032013

Azera

I can be driving and the D for drive will go out if I park and get out and get back in and put my car in drive my car won't go anywhere I will have to find a screw driver and press the release button beside the gears I can try to parallel park in traffic and as soon as I put my car in reverse then back on driver car won't move I have to continue to go in reverse or get out and have my car pushed until the car is ready to go back into drive.

- Carrollton, GA, USA

Feb 252013

Azera

Tried unlocking the door with the remote, didn't work, used the key to unlock the door, inside lights didn't come on. When I put the key in the ignition, nothing happened, no lights, no clicking, no nothing..like the whole car just completely shut down, no type of power.

- Milwaukee , WI, USA

May 152010

Azera 6-cyl

Electrical gremlins are everywhere in my 2006 Hyundai Azera limited. There are so many electrical issues with my car I know it is just a matter of time and a serious safety problem will arise while driving. This model should be recalled until the computer/electrical issues are fixed. There is a real pattern here with electrical and computer problems that could result in people dying if they haven't already. All of these issues came on very slowly over time and seamed minor at first. Now I am truly afraid when driving this vehicle. I bought this vehicle new and I had planned on this being my last car. Now I am retired and can't afford to buy another one. 1. starting problems - car occasionally won't start no ignition noise or clicking at all. I wiggle the shifter around and eventually it will start. 2. radio - the radio is always left on when turning off the ignition. Sometimes it automatically goes on when starting. But most times it will not go on until I turn it off and on again. Then the radio works fine until the next time the car is started. 3. rear shade - the rear window shade stopped working. Only made a grinding noise. I was able to get it into the down position. I have hit the control by the shifter and the grinding starts up. Eventually it stops. 4. heater - the heater controls just recently stopped working properly. The heat worked intermittently. Now only cool air or slight amount of heat blows no matter how high the temperature setting is. 5. door and trunk locks - when locking doors with the key fob the passenger door and the trunk occasionally don't work. When I use the interior lock switch or manually lock the door they will lock properly. 6. driver side chair heat - the back of the seat no longer heats up. The seat cushion still heats up. The passenger side works fine.

- Eden Prairie, MN, USA

Sep 082012

Azera 6-cyl

On September 6, 2012 I bought a used 2006 Hyundai Azera from sutton Ford, Lincoln, Kia dealer. I had the car for 3 days and noticed that the lights would dim on the car as well as the lights on the dash board to include the radio going off the air and coming back on whenever I had to apply the brakes. On streets that are not well lighted the visibility was very very poor. The back window shade does not work when placing the car in reverse or in the drive mode the motor operating the shade makes a noise until I have driven the car for a few minutes. The shade does not operate according to the car manual. This problem should warrant a recall on the vehicle. Additionally, whenever the lights dim and I am approaching another vehicle in oncoming traffic and having to stop at a stop sign or a traffic light I am not comfortable because I do not want the other driver thinking I am flashing my lights at them.

- Calumet City, IL, USA

Jan 292007

Azera 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Azera. The contact was driving 35 mph when both headlights began to dim abnormally. The vehicle was taken to the dealer on several occasions who advised that there were no failures found within the vehicle. The dealer had kept the vehicle for further inspection but was still unable to diagnose a failure. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 41,000. Updated 9/25/12 the consumer stated the headlights still dim at night, intermittently. Updated 10/04/14

- Port Orange, FL, USA

May 152012

Azera

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Azera. The contact stated that while parked, the vehicle would not start. The driver of the vehicle was able to restart the vehicle, but the vehicle stalled shortly after. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for a diagnostic test. The contact stated that the door locks would not function and the sun-shade activated on its own. In addition, the power seat would not function and the lights on the instrument panel flickered. Also, the air conditioner's temperature decreased on its own. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 56,000.

- Lyndhurst, NJ, USA

Feb 152012

Azera 6-cyl

Trip computer returns to 00 without touching reset button, door lock sometimes does not open with transmitter. Trunk sometimes does not open with transmitter or interior trunk release.. radio cuts off intermittently. Instrument panel light flickers, and engine will stall for an instant. Back window screen goes up and down by itself. Air conditioner came on without my pushing button. Warning messages will appear for few seconds "check engine", "ABS failure", etc. Twice took car to Hyundai service department. Told they cannot fix anything unless these events are happening when I bring in car. Aside from these fairly minor problems, the steering wheel locked or power steering failed while driving.. the service department did find an oil leak and replaced hose. Replaced fuel level sender and driver door module. But the electric problems continue.. I am worried that electric and steering problems will cause a serious accident.

- Calistoga, CA, USA

Sep 102011

Azera

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Azera. While driving approximately 30 mph the contact depressed the brake pedal and noticed the lights on the instrument panel became dim as well as all of the exterior lights on the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technicians was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 83,000.

- Somers, CT, USA

Sep 122011

Azera 6-cyl

Several weeks ago I took my car to the Hyundai dealer's service department for warranty work. Over the last few months, while parked and unattended, the back of the driver's seat, on its own, readjusted itself all the way forward. This happened almost daily. The dealer said everything looked ok and they could not determine a cause. On 9/12/11 I sat in the driver's seat as I was preparing to leave work, and the seat back readjusted itself with me in it (car had not yet been started). It pushed me forward and up against the steering wheel. I was unable to stop the movement or readjust the back until the seat back completed its trek all the way forward. After the first time, I readjusted the seat and started driving on the bwi parkway at 55 mph when the seat back did it again, and again, and again. I headed straight for the dealer and during the 15 +/- miles to the dealer, I was compressed against the steering wheel about 20 more times. I am 6 feet tall and have long legs, and during the times I was driving and compressed against the steering wheel, it was extremely difficult to move my foot from the accelerator to the brake. As a result, as soon as I would feel the seat start to move forward, I had to pull over to the shoulder of the parkway until the seat stopped and I could readjust the back. Thankfully, this time when I arrived at the service department, the seat compressed the service attendant while he was sitting in my car, so he could see that there is a problem! several months ago when I first noticed the back readjusting on its own, I googled the problem and discovered that this issue with Azera has been ongoing for quite some time. I hope that it will not take someone getting seriously hurt or killed before something is done to make huyndai acknowledge the problem. They think it is a switch. We will see!

- California, MD, USA

Jan 292011

Azera

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Azera. While parked, the contact tried to turn the ignition on and it would not respond. The contact stated that the check engine light was illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where the technicians reloaded software on the computer. The vehicle was repaired under warranty. The approximate failure mileage was 46,000.

- Orange Park, FL, USA