Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Hyundai Elantra:

Feb 212022

Elantra

Our 2013Hyundai Elantra Gt started making a ticking noise in the engine and now sounds like a lawn mower. Our car has been inspected by an authorized Hyundai dealership and we were told it needs a new engine or our current engine will seize on us while driving. This is a huge safety issue for us while driving and could be a safety issue for others around us. This is a known issue for hyundai elantra 2011-2016 and Hyundai is refusing to help us or replace the engine.

- Rogers, MN, USA

Feb 082022

Elantra

Car suffered a catastrophic engine failure with no warning signs, Know issue with Hyundai engines, beings I'm the second owner, hyundai would not warranty engine repairs. ( 114,600 miles) Hyundai car dealership said they replaced 38 engines in the last two weeks. Car dealership also indicated Hyundai was originally replacing engines with long blocks, and ran out so now replacing with short blocks... (engine blocks only). Everyone is aware of the issues with this engine why is there no forced recall? Hyundai took 4 weeks to decide to deny warranty

- Omaha, NE, USA

Dec 272021

Elantra

Recently my car has had trouble starting, and the engine has sounded weak while running. While out my engine light came on the dash. I took my car to the parts store and they put the computer on to read the engine light. It stated that there are misfires in the coils. Yes it is available for inspection upon request. This put people inside the car at a risk as a engine failure couldve happened at full speed. No this has vehicle has not been inspected. My dash had zero lights on, until the engine light came on. This is my daily driver and can not afford this vehicle to be down.

- New Vienna, OH, USA

Elantra

I own a 2013 elantra and was sent in the mail in the spring a class action lawsuit from Hyundai stating there was an engine piston knock which could lead to engine failure. There was a timeframe to submit the claim to coorprate so I brough the vehical in to be diagnosed with the engine issue. Sport Hyundai had the car for months stating they were waiting for the tool. First the wrong size was ordered then the tool broke. The dealership had our car for about four months and still didn't have the correct tool. So I had the car moved to Millville dealership which finally after six months of having the car was diagnosed and by that time cooperate office said we missed the deadline. I was back and forth with the dealership and cooperate stating the issues. No one helped us I have documentation that when we brought the vehicle in to be diagnosed when it was moved to another dealership. No one has helped I reached out to cooperate multiple times and they stated there was nothing they can do. The car we now have back still with the engine knock that could lead to engine failure or catching on fire while driving.

- Atlantic City , NJ, USA

Jun 012021

Elantra

The contact's wife owns a 2013 Hyundai Elantra. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, an abnormal clicking noise would emit from the engine without warning. The contact had initially taken the vehicle to an independent mechanic who informed him that the clicking noise was a knocking noise that could potentially lead to engine failure. The contact then took the vehicle to a dealer where they acknowledged that metal shavings had entered the engine which caused the knocking noise. He was then informed that the vehicle was out of warranty and there were no recalls on the vehicle. The manufacturer was then notified of the failure. An email was sent to the manufacturer to reconsider placing the vehicle under warranty however, the contact had not received a response. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 101,000.

- White Bear Lake, MN, USA

Oct 042021

Elantra

At approximately 35,000 to 45,000 miles my car started stopping violently on its own. It would jerk violently, make loud grinding and squealing noises and stop randomly on its own free will. This started happening repeatedly. Then after it would happen the car would not go when pressing the gas pedal. It would take quite a while before the car would get momentum back. This became very dangerous to myself and my kids. I purchased this car brand new. I got rid of it by trading it in at 78,000 miles. I contacted Hyundai and tried to resolve the issue and they were no help whatsoever.

Dec 272021

- New Vienna, OH, USA

- Atlantic City , NJ, USA

Jun 012021

- White Bear Lake, MN, USA

Oct 042021

Apr 122021

Elantra

The car experienced (1) poor acceleration, (2) check engine light come on, (3) engine stalling, (4) Tachometer drops to zero. It was first found the MAP sensor was faulty. After the sensor was replaced, the car ran but stalled again intermittently. It was found the problem was caused by crank shaft position sensor (fault code P0335). After the senor was replaced about three weeks ago, the car has been running fine.

- Bellevue, WA, USA

Elantra

My vehicle had been parked in my driveway and when I went to start the car it wouldn't start, but it began making this knocking noise. I had no idea what caused this, but it was extremely embarrassing and the only thing I could think of was to disconnect the battery. And that's when I heard the noise coming from the engine.

Apr 102019

Elantra

We brought our vehicle in, under warranty, for engine noises and stalling. We were told the previous owner could have neglected maintenance and we should do more frequent oil changes to solve the issue(oil sludge). This went on for months and the issue only got worse. By the time the issue was diagnosed(pistons), we were out of warranty and noone would help us. We later found out they covered some bearing issues, but not piston issues. We did everything recommended. They refuse to give me documents, I have asked many times for them(mcgrath Hyundai of cedar rapids). This was 2 years ago. We entered a class action suit thinking we would get the help we deserved. We aren't getting help from the settlement and they are now saying we were out of warranty upon purchase of the vehicle. If we had the money to replace we would be getting full reimbursement, but we get nothing since we were financially unable. The people that did get the replacement engine are still having issues. I would like this engine to be recalled because I feel it is unsafe and not the driver/purchasers fault.

- Clarence, IA, USA

Feb 262021

Elantra

113,000-114,000 miles on car. Started making a ticking noise that sounded like it was coming from the top of the motor. Sounded like lifters or a hard knocking. Parked as soon as it started it and towed it to a shop. They said the ticking sound was more than likely from the piston assembly. They called it a piston slap. However upon taking the valve covers off they found the timing chain was slapping around, bent valves and a bad piston. Our daughter done all of her oil changes regularly and didn't hotrod the vehicle. She was also going slow up our driveway when it happened. No noise prior to this at all.

- Calhoun, TN, USA

Mar 182021

Elantra

Hyundai has a known factory defective motor for my model of car. It is part of a class action lawsuit called the engine cold engine defective motor case. My model and location makes me eligible for a new motor. Hyundai is denying me a new motor based on a rebuilt title. My car was rear-ended and the body was rebuilt. The engine was not affected by the accident. My engine is knocking and will seize up and quit anytime if my motor is not replaced, which Hyundai is refusing to do. They are knowingly sending me down the road with a factory defective motor that could potentially seize up on the highway. This motor should be recalled by Hyundai so that all of us effected are able to drive safely.

- Mount Olive, IL, USA

Mar 112021

Elantra

The contact owns a 2013 Hyundai Elantra. The contact stated while driving at various speeds, there was a loud ticking sound coming from the engine. The contact stated that the check engine warning light was illuminated. The vehicle was taken to woodhouse Hyundai of omaha (8410 S 145th St, omaha, ne 68138) where it was diagnosed and the contact was informed that the engine short block needing to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was informed of the failure. The manufacturer informed the contact that the vehicle was over 100,000 miles and therefore no assistance would be provided. The failure mileage was approximately 133,000.

- Madison, NE, USA

Feb 192021

Elantra

Engine make tapping noise when a cold starting the noise will slow down will it is worming up but you still hear it was look at by 2 diffrant car shop repair and both said it could be rocker arm or leffters

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Jan 302021

Elantra

Bought used 3 weeks ago and it died while driving on incline, has been making a ticking noise, and sluggish, stereo turned off by itself.

- Elk Grove, CA, USA

Jan 152021

Elantra

A ticking/knocking noise is going on in the engine, powertrain. It's been happening since I bought the vehicle and is worse in cold weather. It is believed to be a valve train issue. The knocking gets worse when I accelerate, also. This appears to be a known problem with 2013 Hyundai Elantras, but there isn't a recall for the engine. I contacted Hyundai and they've been slow to respond. My vehicle is currently with the business that I bought it from. They're using the quick, temporary warranty to get a new used engine, but I'm concerned that the same ticking/knocking noise will occur with the new used engine, because they refuse to use a different brand engine. I'd prefer that Hyundai do a straight up recall for the engines that consistently perform this way - with a knocking noise that hinders the performance of the vehicle.

- Apple Valley, MN, USA

Jan 012018

Elantra

The engine makes piston slap noise when outside temperature is cold around 50 or below Fahrenheit. The engine will make loud clapping noise for about 30 seconds. There is a design flaw. Possible cause is piston skirt being to short causing side to side movement when cold. Hyundai is aware of the problem. In Canada Hyundai has issued a bulletin to its dealers about the problem and has notified them to replace the engine.

- Porter Ranch, CA, USA