Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2021 Hyundai Elantra:

May 252022

Elantra

Sometimes, for no reason my car will not accelerate (no amount of pedal to the metal will help) and then when it does accelerate, it surges forward at random points and tries to overpower the brakes. This has happened multiple times and the dealer claims they have never heard of this happening. It could cause a serious accident when it happens. I have to find a place to pull off and shut down the car and restart it. This started happening around the 5k mile marker...and now I am almost at 12k.

- Sevierville, TN, USA

May 092022

Elantra

While driving on the freeway around 70 mph the car seems to reboot, it slows down and coast and the dash computers shutdown and restarts.

- Chino Hills, CA, USA

Mar 152022

Elantra

Two matters: 1) The recall notice "Campaign 216" regarding my 2021 Hyundai Elantra has not yet been remedied nor has Hyundai announce a timeline for a remedy. It is regarding the windshield. 2) Secondly, my horn stopped working 100% and I took it to Hyundai last week and they said a lot of 2021 Elantra's were coming in with broken horns. They ordered me a brand new part that seems as though they redesigned the horn system. It will be replaced this week. I asked if I missed a recall and they said no, the horn problem has not yet required a recall but they seemed to suggest that the horn issue is a real matter effecting their Elantra's. I would hate for other 2021 owners to suffer a horn failure when they actually need it in a real life safety situation. The horn just stopped working. The horn is a safety function and if that is broken what can one do in an urgent matter "yell", not likely. No warning ahead of time...just one day it stopped working with no indicators.

- Burlington, WI, USA

Jun 012021

Elantra

Wireless Apple CarPlay frequently disconnects at random during drives. I-€™ve got the latest iPhone update, done every reset in the book, and spoke with my dealership and there is NO solution. It is also impossible to use a wired CarPlay function despite a data-USB input. It is a totally unnecessary move to force users into using this failure of wireless technology. The screen will frequently black out for an extended period of time creating a challenge if you are following the navigation. Additionally, you must tap through 3 warning pages before being able to access the streamed maps or other content again. It is distracting, unpredictable, and continuously more frustrating as neither Hyundai nor Apple have provided a solution that works and instead resort to a -€śblame game-€ť of each other. Furthermore, both companies act surprised when hearing about this issue, but a quick Google search shows many users struggling with no solution in site! This started the week I bought my car (brand new) and has only gotten worse since.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Nov 132021

Elantra

In the middle of crossing the Verrazzano Narrows Bridge in New York City, the forward collision warning came on and the braking system automatically engaged REPEATEDLY. I was traveling about 30 MPH and had about 4 car lengths between my car and the one in front. The system kept engaging no matter how much room I put between myself and the car in front of me, and as I was in the middle lane of a bridge in heavy traffic I could not pull over. I always keep a good distance in front when driving, but because of the system inappropriately engaging I almost got rear-ended about four times. I was terrified and this continued to happen until I got off the bridge. I use my car mainly on the weekend, and also travel this bridge almost every weekend and this was the first time this happened but it was terrifying and EXTREMELY DANGEROUS!!!!

- Forest Hills, NY, USA

Nov 132021

- Forest Hills, NY, USA

Aug 082021

Elantra

Son was in a crash on freeway. He got cut off and hit into rear of vehicle. Elantra is badly damaged. No collision warning. No airbag deployment.

- Poway, CA, USA

Jul 262021

Elantra

When using Android Auto via wireless connectivity, and when using Map navigation (tried both Google Maps and Waze), the connection will drop over time. This is a distraction concern for folks using navigation assistance in unknown areas, such as when on business trips. When connected via physical cable the issue does not occur.

- Lawton, OK, USA

Feb 042021

Elantra

Wireless phone projection while using apple iphone xr continuously drops while using maps feature. When it disconnects I have to push two buttons on screen. Ok and then the button to reconnect. Sometimes this happens as much as every 5 seconds. I have nearly crashed while trying to constantly reconnect. Especially when I am in an area I do not know. There is no option to connect carplay via usb wired connection. This issue feels like a safety issue. As it is very distracting while driving.

- Lakeland, FL, USA