7.4

$210

Most common solutions:

1. replace door handle (30 reports)
  2. replace handles (7 reports)
  3. replaced handle (6 reports)
  5. replace the door handle (4 reports)
  6. replaced handles (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Hyundai Sonata:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Hyundai dealer.

Dec 022016

Sonata SGL V6

door handles fall off

It is ridiculous that this is the 3rd handle now that has come off this car. Shortly after I bought they car one came off and I replaced it. I do not remember what it cost. Then a year or so ago another came off and my daughter had the car away at college and it was a back door so I didn't want to spend the $300 plus dollars they quoted me to fix it. Now a 3rd handle which is the front passengers door broke off. Pretty soon we won't be able to get in the car because all the handles have came off. I am 56 years old and got my first car at 16. I have never had car loose 1 handle let alone 3. I am looking to get them replaced today but I would like some compensation from your company. Nor sure what they are going to cost but this is ridiculous and I'm sure you want me to talk positive about your vehicles not complain to people about handles falling off.

- Laurie M., Brooklyn Park, MN, US

Oct 232016

Sonata SE

My driver door handle broke this time. Extremely frustrated. I was carrying several things and literally used my pinky finger to open the door, the door swung open but I heard that horrible snap. I now have three broken handles and have to either leave my window rolled down to open it from the inside or crawl in from the rear passenger side door, though there's apparently a pretty good chance that's going to break too. Its infuriating that Hyundai has declined to admit to this issue. I'm clearly not the only person experiencing this. I will definitely be selling this car in the near future and am definitely never going to buy a Hyundai again. Examining the handle that snapped off entirely revealed that its just weak, cheap plastic. Its a shame I can't even buy a metal replacement to avoid future issues. I've so far declined to fix the passenger doors because at this rate, they're just going to break again. Now that the driver door is broken I have no other choice.

Feb 102016

Sonata SE

The front passenger side door handle broke off completely. It was a little icy, and some of the doors weren't opening, but I didn't pull hard, just went to open it as usual, the door handle came with my hand but the door itself stayed put. Extremely frustrating that two handles broke less than six months after I purchased the car. I've never had this issue with any other vehicle!

Dec 032015

Sonata SE

My rear driver side door handle broke, completely disengaged but still attached. I put my dogs in the back, drove to the post office, and when I went to let them out, the handle was already broken. It was fine when I put them in, there was no hard pulling accompanied.

Sep 042016

Sonata ES 4

This is the SECOND door handle to come off in the past year. Last year it was the rear driver's door. In September 2016 it is the rear passenger door. From reading the complaints on this website, I can now expect the other two door handles to come off. The first time I had it fixed at a cost of over $300.00 (that's what happens when you live in Northern VA - prices are higher than the rest of the country). Now I have to pay another $300.00 for the other handle? The ironic thing is that the back doors rarely get opened so why would they break before the front handles? They weren't yanked hard either. After so many complaints, why hasn't Hyundai done anything about this issue? It may make me think twice about buying another Hyundai if they can't take care of my current vehicle.

- Stella M., Springfield, VA, US

Jan 282014

Sonata GLS 2.5L 4 cyl

This was the first of all four handles that have fallen off under warrant. Today the fifth handle fell off this is the one that was replaced at 36667, I now have 61620 miles on the car so after putting less then 25000 miles on the car this handle needs replacing again. Each handle seems to fall off about every 5000 miles or less. I have filed a complaint with Hyundai and I am sure it will get me no where but what a shame that they don't own up to this obvious defect and change the handle type it is one of the oddest things I have ever encountered on a low mileage car.The local dealership is cutting me a break as they know I have replaced all of the handles already but still it is $194.74 I could spend elsewhere.

Here is the order that the handles fell off passenger side front door came off at 36667 miles 1/28/14, drivers door handle came off at 41068 7/07/14, left rear door handle fell off at 45032 12/03/15 and rear door handle fell off at 46154 1/06/15. Warranty ran out 4/15/15, warranty is five years or 60000 miles. I guess I have gone the longest this time over 15000 miles without a handle falling off!

- Gayle L., Sa, FL, US

Aug 012016

Sonata GLS 2.4L I4

This is an excerpt from a letter I just wrote to Hyundai America, the local car dealership where I bought the car, and the South Carolina Department of Consumer Affairs. Perhaps an actual written (hardcopy) letter will bear fruit. Nothing else seems to be working.

TO: Hyundai Motor America P.O. Box 83835 Phoenix, AZ 85071-3835

CC: South Carolina Department of Consumer Affairs (SCDCA) PO Box 5757 Columbia, SC 29250

CC: Florence Hyundai 1721 W. Lucas St. PO Box 4027 Florence, SC 29501 Attn. General Manager

RE: Design Defect of 2010 Hyundai Sonata Outside Door Handles

Dear Sir / Madame:

I am writing this letter to document my multiple attempts to have Hyundai assist in correcting an obvious design flaw regarding the outside door handles of your 2010 Sonata model year. Identical instances of what I have experienced can be found here: http://www.carcomplaints.com/Hyundai/Sonata/2010/accessories-exterior/door_handles_fall_off.shtml

The problem is bad enough that a YouTube video has been created that shows exactly how to install a new door handle (same make, model, year, and color of my Sonata)! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uX0LAE40P4

I am the original owner of the 2010 Sonata GLS, purchased locally at Florence Hyundai in SC, VIN (deleted), that has exhibited the problem.

Unfortunately, I have had two separate instances in which the exterior door handle has fallen off under minimal use/force. The first time it was repaired by Prime Hyundai of Saco, Maine at a cost of about 150 USD +/-, approximately two years ago. That occurrence was the driver’s side rear. Last month the passenger side front came off in my hand, again, under minimal force. The steps I have taken to remedy this include the following:

1) Contact Hyundai America via their online contact form and advise them of the problem, which was met with no response. This is quite unprofessional. 2) Bring my vehicle to the original dealer where it was purchased (Florence, SC) and request a quote since there is no recall for this issue. This was met with a quote for $456.48 USD for labor, material, and tax. The service manager was contacted and confirmed the amount. While I appreciate her attentiveness and follow-up, the quote of over 450 USD for the replacement of a door handle is absurd. Quote is attached. The average repair bill for this is 168 USD (see Appendix).

Given the unsatisfactory responses I have received, the second instance of this design defect observed, and the multiple complaints by other owners of the 2010 Sonata for the exact same issue, it is my hope that Hyundai Motors will take this flaw more seriously now that I am involving the SC Department of Consumer Affairs.

Note that while I was a satisfied Hyundai owner at one time, this feeling has soured. Based upon Hyundai’s lack of responsiveness/accountability of defects, and what equates to price gouging over seemingly minor repair at the local dealership, it is unlikely that I will purchase another Hyundai in the future or seriously consider a vehicle from Florence Hyundai/Efird.

I am requesting that this repair be made for me at no cost.

Hyundai, please honor your public pledge below: Our goal is to give you one-on-one, personalized service and provide you with the best possible solution in the shortest amount of time. That’s our commitment to you. - Hyundai Website, 4 September 2016 - https://www.hyundaiusa.com/complaints-lemon-law-concerns/

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Regards,

- James W., Effingham, SC, US

Jun 202016

Sonata

Update to my last complaint. About 3 weeks ago I go to open my passenger side rear door. Guess what goes flying Yep the door handle. So now I have 2 rear doors that can not be opened normally.I have them both duct taped. I cannot believe after searching again on the internet that there are no recalls on this problem. I agree with many other people's comments that I have read , if hyundai does not care about it's customers by owning up to the problem then they are not getting my business again. This was my 3rd hyundai car but it will in all likely hood be my last.

- John C C., Middle Village, NY, US

Aug 142014

Sonata

Leaving work I went to open the back door, behind the drivers side to put my back pack in and the handle just comes flying off the door. I was really dumbfounded. I was 60 y/o at the time and have had cars since I was 17 and had never ever had a door handle come off. Never period, and when my wife took the car to the dealer for another recall they told her that it was not covered and would cost with the paint job around $200. I knew that was without tax . It amazed me that after I contacted the dealer again that he insisted it was not covered. I calmly told him that my back door was not used enough times ,or even used roughly for this to have happened. Once again no help. At that point I refused to spend money to fix a door that I hardly ever use. It was not about the money but the principal of the matter.

If you are reading this you can continue to my second problem same as the first in my next posting.

- John C C., Middle Village, NY, US

Apr 152016

Sonata GLS 4 cyl

I replaced one door handle already on the driver side rear door. NOW the passenger side front door handle has also fallen off. This makes no sense. It must be a cheap piece of crap.

- Wanda F., Lakeside, CA, US

Apr 202015

Sonata GLS 4 cyl

Door handles are not supposed to fall off in your hand under normal use. There must be really cheap workmanship holding it in place.

- Wanda F., Lakeside, CA, US

Nov 202014

Sonata SE 2.0L V4

Frustrated ... I've had both exterior door handles on my driver side break, there was no accident or excessive pulling, they just snapped when the weather changed from warm to cold.

Driverside front

&

Driverside rear

Worried about the others all breaking as well, not an easy thing to replace and match to the rest of the exterior.

- David T., Keller, TX, US

Apr 162016

Sonata GLS 2.4L

First I have heard of a door handle falling off. After reading the reviews, I guess I am lucky I just happened. I really do not want to spend 200 dollars to repair a piece of crap.

- Neil B., Plantersville, MS, US

Sep 012013

door handles fall off

That Is SUPER ANNOYING! Didn't pull hard just trying to open the door. Didn't personally hit, knock, or tap anything or anyone that I knew of but wrote it off as possibly something of that nature even though no scratches on handle. But weird accident no less. Never experienced anything like that before in any of my previous vehicle's.

Update from Jul 24, 2016: CORRECTION UPDATE

MILAGE

the first door handle fell off during 2nd yr ownership in 2013 being a 3yr old vehicle

with 64,000 MILES

Miss read and put current milage when filing complaint.

Mar 072016

Sonata

When my daughter was driving the car, the driver side rear handle came off. She had it replaced, and it came off again. I've been driving it for a couple of months now, and the passenger rear handle fell off yesterday.

- Andrew B., Johns Island, SC, US

Feb 152016

door handles fall off

COMPLETELY CONVINCED THIS CAR IS A LEMON!! WITH ONLY ONE DOOR HANDLE LEFT, I FEAR WHAT HAPPENS AFTER THE LAST ONE DOES INDEED COME OFF? WITH STILL A YEAR AND HALF LEFT OF PAYMENTS, I ALSO WONDER WHAT HAPPENS AFTER THAT? TOO MANY THINGS WRONG WITH ONLY 30000 MILES DRIVEN PERSONALLY TO HAVE HAPPENED! FEEL RIPPED OFF PAYING WAY TOO MUCH! AS SECOND SONATA OWNED WILL WITHOUT A DOUBT BE LAST!

Update from Jul 24, 2016: UPDATE TO MISSING 3! DOOR HANDLES Took to local Hyundai dealership, requested assistance from Hyundai USA... DEINED claim!! There are SO MANY COMPLAINTS with this problem its ridiculous to me that Hyundai wouldn't claim ANY ownership on this problem and WANT to back up their product of a major purchase like this. Something that should most certainly be made durable! Got quote on factory replacement. ... $40.00 for part $100.00 for labor AND $85.00 to paint to match car THATS $225.00 !!! EACH! ! ! ! DOOR HANDLE!!!!! SO FOR 3 OF THEM THAT'S A WOOPING $675.00! !! Or $420.00 for 3 black handles to be installed by factory. My solution, searched for hyundai part # for my Sonata, found BRAND NEW four door handles matching model # in Hyundai box shipped from Korea where made.. for $40.00!!!!!!! Found video on YouTube made from other (s) with same fate and fixed it ourselves.

Update from Jul 24, 2016: Will be LAST Hyundai ill EVER buy or invest in! When a company will not back up their product and production to be actually used by customer or care when its not

May 012014

door handles fall off

Okay now the SECOND DOOR HANDLE. This time the DRIVERS DOOR much more frustrating as I now know it's nothing but the broken piece of plactic on the worst car.

Update from Jul 24, 2016: UPDATE CORRECTION

VEHICLE MILAGE

73,000 MILES When second handle fell off in 2014

Feb 112016

Sonata GLS

It started with one of the rear door handles and now ALL 4 door handles have broken off in the coarse of a year or so (cheap plastic handles). I have temporarily fixed the front two with twisted coat hangers and zip ties.

- Eric S., Sadieville, KY, US

Feb 182016

Sonata LS 4

All three exterior door handles failed on the 2010 Hyundai sonata over the course of the past year. Reported to Hyundai America, they said it was not under warranty, but scheduled a free service at the local Hyundai dealership. They in turn said they could not fix the handles under warranty. After months of back and forth communication and no resolution, I had the handles fixed at my local garage. I was tired of climbing into the car to get it started and forgetting to leave the windows down so I could reach in and open the door from the inside. I have never had a car where the exterior door handles failed to work. Do not think I will ever buy a Hyundai again.

- Liz A., Wells, VT, US

Feb 032016

Sonata LX V6

I was going to get in my car in a driving rainstorm to go to work and my damn driver's side handle came off in my hand when I pulled it to open the door. This makes door handle number two failed!!!! I had no choice but to rent a car because I had no access at that point! I contacted Hyundai consumer affairs thinking they would cover the cost of their inferior parts. After being assigned a case number and giving them time to contact the dealer, they "denied assistance at this time". Door handles should not fall off regardless of the year and mileage of the car, period!!!

- rhianna, Theodore, AL, US