8.0

$5,100

Most common solutions:

2. new engine installed (5 reports)
  3. repair engine's oil consumption (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Hyundai Sonata:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Hyundai dealer.

Aug 282018

Sonata SE 2.4L

Noticed at the first oil change, the mechanic said your oil was low, a little over a half quart. I was not happy to hear that. Kept an eye on it and now have to add about a quarter of quart about ever 1000 miles. I check oil cap was tight and the dipstick to make sure it was properly seated. I have contacted Hyundai about this problem - they did nothing, a wasted call . I bought this at approximately 23,800 miles. I am very upset to pay that price for car with low mileage and find out the dam thing burns oil and I continue to have to watch and always add oil. I feel Hyundai needs to recall and fix the problem.

- Rodger Y., Andover, US

May 142021

Sonata

I have to keep getting oil changes and add oil. I don't know what to do - I took it to the shop and they said it wasn't a leak, and to take it to the dealer.

- LATOYA W., Haledon, NJ, United States

Jan 202020

Sonata Sport 2.0 Limited

Car ran out of oil and ruined my turbo. Brought to Sterling Hyundai in Lafayette, LA. They told me they did not know why it ran out of oil and the turbo was covered under warranty so they changed that. Since then, I've brought it in multiple times for oil changes and mentioned every time that they needed to find out why it keeps consuming oil. I have to carry oil in my car. They tell me the same thing every time.

The last visit, they told me the warranty was up on my engine. Came home and checked and it is not up. I have 100,000 miles or 10 years on my engine. When I got mad, one of the workers came whisper to me that it wasn't just me, it was the car. So, they basically have been lying to me since January of 2020.

I am in the process of trying to file a complaint with Hyundai Motor to get a new engine. Not having much luck as of yet. Refuse to bring my car back to them.

- Clara H., New Iberia, US

Jan 102019

Sonata 2.4L

My Sonata Sport was using a lot of oil, and when taken to the dealer where I bought the vehicle, I was given nothing but excuses. I had the valve cover, timing chain cover and oil pan resealed at 79,860 miles. Skip ahead to 1/26/22, when my car began sputtering at a VERY busy intersection. I checked the oil, and it was barely touching the dipstick. With only 1,540 miles on it since my last oil change. I added oil and contacted consumeraffairs@hmausa.com. Tony from Hyundai contacted the dealer I purchased the vehicle from and Tarr Hyundai in Morristown, TN stated my warranty was now out and I would be responsible for 100% of repair costs to fix an engine that has known problems with Hyundai. Had they repaired my engine when the problem first started, or even 1 of the 11+ times I was there for the problem, I would still be WELL within the very expensive extended warranty I purchased when I purchased my vehicle. I have owned Hyundai's for 28 years, always swore by them, and my dad even purchased one. But this car has ruined me on Hyundais.

- Jennifer S., Mascot, TN, US

Oct 112021

Sonata SE 2.4L

The car burned 3 quarts of oil in between oil changes with only 66,000 miles on it. The issue started at about 40,000 miles but of course Hyundai being Hyundai, they just swept it under the rug and did nothing about it. Now my warranty is expired and I’m SOL. The rest of the car was starting to fall apart too, so I just ended up selling it to Carmax because I didn’t want to deal with it anymore. This was my first and last Hyundai.

- Gage H., Indianapolis, US

Jul 012020

Sonata Sport 2.4L

• CVT transmission

Hello. I have 2015 Hyundai Sonata Sport 2.4l with excessive oil consumption. I bought this car used with about 15,000 miles on it. It takes me everywhere I need to go, and the car runs great as far as reliability. The first major problem I had is that the transmission failed at 99,000 miles which was covered under warranty, so I didn't pay out of pocket. My other issue is the engine consumes a lot of oil, probably a quart every week. This oil consumption started around 100.000 miles. It has an eternal engine oil leak somewhere, so I just deal with it.

The car now has 151,000 miles, so it's not worth fixing, but other than that it runs great. I just have to keep oil in my trunk, I'll just end up trading it in for another vehicle, not Hyundai brand.

- The X G., Hollywood, FL, US

Jan 152020

Sonata GL 2.4L

I wish i bought a Toyota. Hyundai is a good car but not the engine.

- Roman S., surrey, BC, Canada

Jan 012019

Sonata Sport 2.0L

I've been informed by corporate Hyundai and local dealership that I will have to " wait it out" before they will repair vehicle. I'm concerned about my safety and family.

My car currently has 65000 miles and dealer believes I'll get about 25000 to 30000 more miles before car will qualify for engine replacement. Currently, it is using 1quart per 1500/2000 miles. Hyundai policy is oil consumption must exceed 1 quart per 1000 miles. I have that in writing as per their service bulletin.

Needless to say, I'm unhappy dealing with this problem. I wouldn't have bought car if I knew the engine was defective. I have a lot of anxiety and, recently, rented a car for out of town trip. I'm not sure what I'm going to do........really wish Hyundai would give us options. I'm really stuck at this point since I'm not able to sell or get full value of my vehicle.

- Lauraine D., Evans, GA, US

Aug 222019

Sonata

2015 purchased brand new and always maintained. Engine knocking noise started & took it to have it checked. Turns out the oil solidified like jelly. Engine had overheated and caused this issue with oil. Engine was burned! Lucky it did not catch fire. Had to replace engine. Found out this is a common problem with the Hyundai, especially after 60K miles. No warning what so ever! Never did the engine light turn on to indicate a problem. Car is still under warranty, and a complaint was filed with Hyundai, HMA Campaign Reimbursement. So far, it's been over a month and no reimbursement. Never again.

- Teri P., Inverness, FL, US

Feb 012019

Sonata Se Limited

BOUGHT THE CAR LESS THAN 2 YRS AGO, THINKING OK... LOW MILES (32000). PAID $15,000. I'M GOOD FOR A WHILE. NOPE WRONG! I'M PISSED! I PAID CAR OFF IN MARCH. I BROUGHT THE CAR IN FOR MY FIRST OIL CHANGE SINCE THEY OFFER FREE OIL CHANGE. I BOUGHT FROM CAR DEALER. AFTER FIRST OIL CHANGE, I NOTICE 3 QTS LOW, SO I WENT BACK TO DEALER AND THEY HAD SOMEONE CHECK IT. THEY SAID IT WAS FINE. THEN THEY DID ANOTHER OIL CHANGE TO SEE. WELL, IT HAS NOT ENDED. I PUT 2 QTS IN EVERY 7- 10 DAYS. SICK, SICK OF THIS CRAP. 63000 AND I'M AFRAID SOMETHING IS GOING TO GET WORSE. I CAN'T AFFORD TO DO THIS AFTER PAYING IT OFF!!! WHAT DO I DO? I EVEN CALLED HYUNDAI AND THEY SAID NO RECALLS YET. MANY, MANY ARE DEALING WITH THE SAME CRAP. IT NEEDS TO BE RECALL. I'M SICK TO MY STOMACH ABOUT THIS CRAP!!!

- Bernadette S., Bausman, US

Jun 112019

Sonata Limited 2.4L

Bought vehicle from CARMAX so thought it had been thoroughly checked out. At 27000 miles should never have to check oil. WRONG. Just on a whim I decided to check it and found it down 1 Qt. I had only driven it 2100 miles since purchase. Took it back to CAR MAX and they were nice enough to change the oil free of charge. Service manager said they may need to do a consumption study. Further investigation has shown this is not uncommon and Hyundai will maintain it is within specifications. Another 2000 miles and another Qt.

Normal? Maybe for a junker with 200,000 miles, but not for a 3 yr old vehicle with 30,000 miles. My Jeep sitting next to it will not even use 1/2 Qt between 5000 mile oil changes. I think there is a lesson to be learned here.

- Philip B., Kennesaw, GA, US

Apr 022019

Sonata Limited 3.21

I bought a 2015 Sonata Limited brand new. From the very first oil change, I was always told that my oil was low. I never thought that this could be a problem since the dealership noticed and just did standard oil changes and sent me on my way. Repeatedly, at every oil change I was low but had no leaks and no smoke. Other than a mystery, I just took note but drove it normally.

At 48,000 I noticed the oil was black and thick sludge all on the oil cap. I was informed for the first time by a manager of an auto parts store that he was aware of this problem with other Hyundai cars. I contacted the dealer and was instructed to participate in an oil consumption study. As instructed, I returned to the dealership after the first month and was 1 quart low after 1100 miles, I am currently driving the car to reach the next phase of the study. I am expecting to be low again since I've done some research and have discovered the exact same problems with this model.

I will need to get this resolved because this is a factory defect and I'm still paying a high car note and expected a quality car for my investment. I will keep you posted as this case progresses.

Update from Jul 25, 2019: I finished the 3 - 1000 miles oil consumption test study.Each check, everytime it was at least 1 quart low, the dealership did right and changed my engine. They handled this matter with utmost awesome customer care. I was provided a loaner car while my car was in the shop for 3 weeks. I will continue to monitor my oil but hope that the new engine solved this problem.

- Dawn S., Metairie, US

Mar 012017

Sonata Limited 2.4L

We bought our 2015 Sonata Limited 2.4L new in October 2014. Car was great until about 55k when wife got stranded in limp home mode due to something with the manifold / sensor. That was fixed but we noticed loss of power afterwards car never had any more pick up and go as it used to. Since about that time we noticed that car is burning 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles or so.

Took to dealer they did an oil consumption test that confirmed it was burning oil. I was told this was in spec to this motor and model and that they would escalate to Hyundai motor company but most likely nothing would come of it. Dealer tried to tell me that its my fault for using after market filters and full synthetic oil. Motor is loud, burns oil and has non consistent idle at standstill, still no power.

- Carsten F., Clayton, NC, US

Mar 152018

Sonata ES

Background: 2015 Hyundai Sonata 74000 miles, purchased from dealer with 34,000 miles. No accidents.

My last oil change I had very little oil on the stick. I thought this was just a fluke. Had my oil changed and 6000 miles later 1/4 inch of black oil left on the stick. 74,000 miles on car. There is black inside and on the lip of the exhaust. This has been a good car, can't complain, but this is a significant problem. I see others are having the same issues. Has anyone had their problem addressed?

I spoke with the dealer and we are going to change the oil, do an oil consumption test every 800-1200 miles x 3. Then they will get with Hyundai and address. I paid a small fortune for an extended warranty that I am still within the parameters, hopefully I'm covered one way or the other. I'm sure the warranty will push for Hyundai to step up before they pay.

- Charlotte Z., Union, US

Oct 202016

Sonata SE 2.4L

I just want Hyundai to fix this problem with my car. Consuming oil is not a good thing, in the long run it will cost more money to customers and lost of sales to Hyundai. I just took a trip to St. Louis, Mo. 285 miles later, I need it a quart of oil. I'm I constantly checking the oil level because I don't have other means to drive to work 55 miles round trip.

- Oscar M., Cicero, US

Nov 012017

Sonata SE 2.4L 4 cyl

Okay, we bought our 2015 Sonata in May 2016, thinking we bought a nice car. We were wrong. The car was perfect in every way till about October or November of 2017. It started consuming a quart of regular 5W-20 oil every 1000 miles. So we switched to 10-W30 Full Synthetic and the oil changed every 3000 miles. It helped but not much. It now consumes a quart of 10-W30 about every 1700 miles. Better, but still unacceptable for a normal engine.

Update from Jun 18, 2018: So, oil consumption is random, sometimes it’ll do great, sometimes it’ll consume a quart in 800milez. At this point I don’t know what to do p, besides trade that piece of garbage in for something like a Camry. I’ll tell you one thing. After this, we will NOT be buying another to Hyundai.

Update from Jan 20, 2019: Well. solution found at 86k miles. just buy a new car, a Camry or an Accord should do ya good. :)

- mountaintroll04, Owenton, US

Aug 012017

Sonata Limited 2.4L

2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, bought new, engine 2.4l. around 30000 miles. Checking the oil, as is my habit, I was surprised to find oil level very low before the 5000 km oil change time limit. Reported to the dealer but they did not want to acknowledge. We agreed to keep it under observation for the next oil changes. They said they did a leak compression check (but I don't see any evidence that they actually carried out) and said the leak is good. Now before the oil change term the level is under min after 4000 km driven. Let's see what they will say now.

If somebody has had this problem let me know. Thanks

- Daniel C., TORONTO, ON, Canada

Jan 122016

Sonata SE 2.4L

First oil change down a half quart oil consumption test report 4450 miles driven down 1.3 QUART They say this is normal unacceptable NEW CAR BLACK soot coming from tailpipe MILES PER GALLON ( 20 ) 4 cyclinder STICKER says 25 city 37 Highway not even close NEW problem today 06/12/2016 transmission stopped shifting no acceleration none THIS car is a lease good for me I want OUT without losing a ton of MONEY NEXT STEP LEMON LAWS!!!!

- Mark R., Palmdale, CA, US

Feb 242017

Sonata ES

Don't understand where oil is going but at most oil changes there's nothing to drain, it makes values rattle a lot.

- kls09, Martinsville, US

Aug 102016

Sonata Limited 2.4L 4 cyl

Car had less than 11k miles and burning about half qt. oil between oil changes, 3k miles

- skips, Omaha, AR, US