Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Hyundai Sonata:

Dec 072020

Sonata

2016 Hyundai Sonata hybrid ignition issue the engine is rattling while idling and under acceleration and the check engine light is coming on. Believe it is an issue with either spark plugs or ignition coil. Service dept said both components looked free of damage upon inspection.

- Akron, OH, USA

Jul 292019

Sonata

My right high beam stopped working, I have to add oil to my car every 3 days. Burns more gas going back and forth to work. Going around a fast highway curb, the engine shut down the speed of my car and would not stop dropping down to 45 mph in a 70mph packed highway. Awful experience. Called in the problem to Hyundai and they didn't show any care. I had an accident happen and I don't know if the electrical problem could be a result to the accidents. The case has been closed and nothing but a paper from a lawyer about getting $1000 for my car being at high risk. I have the case number available. It's been nearly a year.

- Neosho, MO, USA

Sep 112020

Sonata

Car runs out of oil well before 2000 miles/2 months. When accelerating the car is sluggish the engine is ticking and feels like the engine is going to seize, no matter if the car is moving 5mph or 70 mph.

- Bolingbrook, IL, USA

Sep 112020

Sonata

When accelerating there is a ticking noise coming from engine. This has been happening for a while after I got the update and new wiring harness from the campaign. I'm scared to drive my car, I accelerate slowly because I get nervous it will blow up. I took this car to a Hyundai dealership and they quoted me over 500 dollars for this repair and it might not even fix it.

- Bolingbrook, IL, USA

Aug 152020

Sonata

2016 Sonata with 103,000 mile. Increased oil consumption. Regular full synthetic oil changes have been followed. The engine burns out oil well before oil change is due. Oil lamp flickers. Mechanic states oils is burning up and released through exhaust therefore no leaks detected. 2nd issue: P2122 check engine code. Diagnostics reveals pedal acceleration sensor faulty. Part was $202. Not sure if this is misdiagnosed and related to sluggish engine due to oil consumption.

- Jasper, GA, USA

Apr 202020

Sonata

After a period of driving, which is random at best, the check engine light will appear and the vehicle will start to shudder and lose its ability to accelerate. This happens when the vehicle is in motion and happens both on the freeway at high speeds, as well as on city streets in low speeds. The only way to get this to stop is try and get to a safe space of the road and turn off the vehicle. It is very scary and dangerous especially in southern California freeway traffic and in mountain passes as you lose the ability to maintain speed in the middle of traffic. This could very easily cause an accident. This has happened to me on 7 different occasions over the past 2 months at random times.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Jan 242020

Sonata

Vehicle is unable to start for about 30 minutes after driving for 60 minutes in any weather condition from very cold to hot. "check hev system" warning comes on when this happens and will not start. Happens after a quick stop while highway driving

- San Diego, CA, USA

Dec 032019

Sonata

I live in stamford ct 06902 I went in a trip with my kids to Virginia beach last summer 2019 then I stopped a rest stop for bathroom when I came back to turn on the car the car was with no power it came on my panel telling me the hybrid system failure I waited 1/2 hour and work again.a week ago happen me the same issue again I am worried because it could happen while I driving I can't rely on this vehicle

- Stamford, CT, USA

Apr 252017

Sonata

I was driving the car and the car started spitting and did not want to go. Then white smoke came out of the tail pipe. I cut the car of and waited in traffic with my baby in the car, then turned the car back on. The engine light came on and the car drove like it had no energy. I was on my way to my new job for the first day.

- Lanham, MD, USA

Apr 122017

Sonata

While the vehicle is in motion and when I hit the brake. A click noise is always coming when we hit the brake till the end. Always happening observing from past 2 months. The other problem is when we hit the brake and and hold the shift knob it is making tick tick noise. Always happens when I showed to the mechanic they are saying it is normal because they have to do it for free of charge. Hyundai gives warranty but the dealers neglect to do. I am getting a mileage of average 10 miles if I even maintain a speed of 45-50 mph. If I put 14 gallons of gas I get hardly 225 miles and I have no problems with the car and I change the oil before the service interval.

- Hicksville, NY, USA