4.0

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Hyundai Sonata:

Oct 022020

Sonata

With the headlights set to auto, when using using the turn signal the headlight turn off occasionally. This happen more often when signaling right turn or lain changes. Link to video the file is to large to upload. This happens daily now. Https://youtu.be/-goigz3tbhy

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Oct 312019

Sonata

On 3 separate occasions while driving between 45 and 60 mph, on a Arkansas state hwy and a us hwy both head lights went completely off and then came back on. Twice in Oct. 2019 while changing from high beam to low beam, once in Nov 2019 head lights went off with out using high beam to low beam. Taking car to dealership on 12/4/19.

- Melbourne, AR, USA

Sep 052018

Sonata

Bulbs burn out due to overheating. Emergency lights stopped working due to overheating

- Hermitage, TN, USA

Aug 012019

Sonata

Rear tail lights keeps burning out. This seems to be consistent with other consumers and Hyundai has not done a recall. See forums and videos online from other complaints. Https://www.youtube.com/watch"V=9mjxfa1tmti they had this issue with older models and now it's happening with newer models. Can we have a recall"

- Worcester, MA, USA

Jul 192019

Sonata

Headlights go out when using the turn signal at night time.

- Johnson City, NY, USA

Jun 032019

Sonata

The contact owns a 2016 Hyundai Sonata. On three separate occasions, while driving various speeds, the headlights failed to operate and then returned to normal on their own. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The dealer and manufacturer were not contacted. The approximate failure mileage was 48,000. The VIN was invalid.

- Lewisville, TX, USA

Jan 102019

Sonata

The contact owns a 2016 Hyundai Sonata. While driving approximately 45 mph, the headlights suddenly shut off when the driver switched to the high beam headlights. The failure was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The local dealer was not notified. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 58,000.

- Carthage, AR, USA

Jan 102019

Sonata

Hi, the Sonata lim the light issue is not only terrible, but I feel extremely dangerous. We brought in the car this week for this issue and with the service team, determined that it is a problem with the limited's only. The non-limited version, if you look at the light assembly, although it looks the same, the entire bulb is encased in the metal/aluminum. When looking at the Sonata limited one, you will notice that the top edge of that same housing is cut off. The dealer ordered another light assembly as they didn't have a limited in their lot, and he just called to tell me it looks identical. I will happily join any movement to get this rectified.ited

- Burien, WA, USA

Jan 011917

Sonata

My alarm horn dont work, my overhead light does not shut off properly, doors dont lock back shows opned when closed. Water in back door latch froze and cracked my casing. This all happemed at the same time. Drained my battery and they replaced a box in door. Now battery dies again and it is doing it again. A constant problem since last year. It is not dependable for me due to disabled and senior citzen.

- Nampa, ID, USA

Aug 162017

Sonata

Hard shifts when in sport mode and when it doesn't do a hard shift the vehicle will shut off on the highway causing the headlights and power steering to not fiction cause a possible crash have to stop and put in park to restart engine

- Redfield, AR, USA

Oct 022016

Sonata

Issue #1 seat belt safety-choking incident filed separate tracking # 10935641 issue # 2 bought vehicle Sept. 29, 2016 with zero mileage on car. Happened October 1, and 2nd, and random. On October 3, 2016 brought vehicle into maintenance because the vehicle is making thumping sound while driving. Sometimes when driving on the street, less than 25-30mph car spontaneously does this sound. I pull over to the side of the road, look under the vehicle, to see if something is dragging. Nothing is there. I start driving again, the sound returns, pull over, again nothing found outside of vehicle or underneath. Inside the vehicle I notice that the emergency parking brake light is on as a signal on the dash board. I did not turn it on. It smells like something is burning on the vehicle. I lift the hood. Nothing found. I return the vehicle to the dealership on October 3, 2016 for inspection at the Hyundai gerald dealership in North Aurora Illinois where vehicle was purchased. This has happened several times same scenario since purchasing up until December 4, 2016. Hyundai maintenance found no problems. Issue # 3 incident has been happening since about 1 week after vehicle purchase at start of car and while driving. Interior car lights randomly come on. This can be interior driver side, interior passenger side, and interior rear lights. Unable to replicate happens sometimes while driving as well. Usually fixed by depressing button. But, button was not originally pressed to turn this light on. Has been reported to dealership and Hyundai manufacturer. Manufacturer or dealership has not resolved or found the issue. These issues are documented in vehicle maintenance reports anytime vehicle was taken for service. Issues have been reported to Hyundai manufacturer. No resolution has been offered.

- Plano, IL, USA

Nov 302015

Sonata

On a dark or dimly lit road the low beam headlights create a sharp boundary looking through the windshield with headlight illumination on the lower area and darkness on two thirds down from the top of the viewing area. It is as if the windshield has a line horizontally across it two thirds down in the field of view. The line bounces when the car bounces and dark upper portion can not be properly viewed through to see the road ahead. It is a safety issue due to poor visibility. The dealer has said a few times there is no issue and no reported issue. This is a continuous flaw in the car from when we first purchased in Nov 2015.

- Hopkinton, MA, USA

Sep 142016

Sonata

Highlights when to auto mode do not turn on when wipers are turn on as required by Florida statute 316.217(1)(B)

- Sanford, FL, USA

Sep 012015

Sonata

My car has been in motion at nighttime with the head lights on, while driving at 55 to 75 mph the light is spread up on my sides instead of being directly in front where the focal point is needed the most. I have taken this unit back to dealership several times and still the issue is not resolved, I am told its a problem with the design. I travel mostly on interstates and have 20/20 vision. My previous cars lights did make my path known to me, with this car, I am seeing defused light and it scares me. I've made it known to my lawyer that if I have a wreck at high speeds, then an investigation of this make and line of cars should be looked into. Am I in a car that is waiting to have an accident? otherwise, I love this car.

- Terrytown, LA, USA

Jun 092016

Sonata

While driving 65mph at 10pm on a the interstate, I heard a pound "thunk" and thought I had a tire issue, so began to steer toward the emergency lane. I quickly realized I had no power to accelerate, no power steering and the dash was blacked out...car was dead. Only ever thing working was radio, emergency flashers and dome light. Door locks did not even work. Called for roadside assistance and car was towed. I have no further information about the car's disposition as it was a rental. It was terrifying and could have ended catastrophically in serious injury or death. The reason I am filing this report is to insure it will be investigated thoroughly. I did report it to Hyundai.

- Greenville, SC, USA