Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Hyundai Sonata:

May 022021

Sonata

The airbag indicator light came on while I was driving. I contacted the dealer who was unable to inspect for a period of time. During the period of time, the sensor no longer lit. I brought it to a local mechanic who checked the codes. It appeared the driver's side airbag had illuminated the sensor. He tried to replace but it's on 6 weeks back-order.

- Ballston Spa, NY, USA

Nov 012020

Sonata 4-cyl

Reciban cordiales saludos, el 11/01/2020 dicho vehiculo ES usado como lyft venia de pasajero Y tuvimos un accidente. Las bolsa de aire jamas SE abrieron, echo que agrabo mi condicin. Ya que impacte mi cabeza fuertemente contra el marco de puerta del vehiculo ocasionando mi lesion cerebral. No SE, si este vehiculo forme parte del problema con el sistema takata. Lo que si estoy seguro ES que en el historial de este vehiculo estan reseado 3 accidentes en los cuales SE puede presenciar que el sistema airbag nunca a funcionado ademas de la negligencia por parte del dueo (chofer) ya que estos 2 accidentes han sido en manos de el Y el mismo no ah mandado a inspeccionar el dispositivo de airbag. Ademas de tener unos llamados por garantia incumplidos. El accidente fue ennla 82ne 2av miami fl.

- Miami, FL, USA

Nov 062019

Sonata

Air bags lights keeps coming while we're in seatbelts

- Jackson, MS, USA

Aug 282019

Sonata

Air bag lights keep coming

- Jackson, MS, USA

Sep 032019

Sonata

- sudden accecleration surge when releasing brake. When turning into parking and when light turn green and releasing brake. - spuratic acceleration decrease when driving... most recent: Pulling into parking stall ( left) as I pulled foward and release brake to move up another foot, the car suddenly accelerated. Car went over parking block ( 1-2 feet in front of me) then jump over into a tree. ( 1-2 feet in front of parking block). Force of surge left skid marks on parking block. Air bags did not deploy, but caused serious damage (approx 5K)

- Boca Raton, FL, USA

Jul 212019

Sonata

Head on collision with a deer, going 70mph on highway 49. No air bags released. After taking car to dealership, from receiving a letter of recall in the mail. Motor would shut down when reaching 65 mph, before taking car to dealership for recal. Car was in motion on the highway.

- Neosho, MO, USA

Mar 282019

Sonata

Airbag senor came on. None of the controls work on my steering wheel.

- Stafford, VA, USA

Mar 092016

Sonata

Deer ran in front of my car. Air bags inflated and stayed so for quite a while. When I got out of the car I noticed my foot was burnt with skin off and legs were burning from the powder in air bags. I know the bags should inflat but the smoke from this kept up for quite a while. I did not think this powder should have kept coming out so much and so did passerby people who stopped to help. We had the powder in our eyes.

- Helena, AL, USA

Feb 192016

Sonata

On February 19 2019 I was driving a car rental from hertz driving on the freeway in southern ca driving only 25 mph I crashed trying to avoid crashing into car in front of me kept putting on my breaks and the car would not stopped the breaks malfunction I tried to changing lane I still crashed I was going 25 mph the car was totaled bumper was plastic or fiber glass the air bag "exploded" not deployed. The plastic compartment where the airbags is stored, explode plastic became a jagged knife.it punctured a hole on my legs sliced other part of my legs when air bag explode some of the plastic was released and sliced my legs, air bag releases extreme smoke inside the car all you are inhaling is smoke. Air bag I was in and out of consciousness from smoke inhalation I became dehydrated throwing up trapped from the airbag that is pasted against the driver side door. The airbag when it explode becomes a death trapped!!! instead of saving peoples life the plastic material manufacture the air bag is a plastic material it sticks tightly against the door if you do not have any strength to try to peel off or pull the airbag off the door you become trapped... if the crash does not kill you the smoke inhalation and being trapped by the airbag will! when airbag it explodes the plastic compartment becomes a jagger knife the airbag releases extreme smoke after air bag explodes I was taken to emergency room I was given a technic shot behind airbag and plastic explode. When I got out the emergency room three days later I went to the tow place to take a look at the car and took video pictures and took pictures of the airbag jagged plastic that caused my injury.. car rental is just worried about there car not me I almost died

- Daly City, CA, USA