Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Hyundai Sonata:

Feb 272021

Sonata

I had to replace the battery within a month of getting the car, then again 6 months later. The radio and back up camera went out after a year of having it. The headlights kept going out, and eventually the wiring started burning. Battery went out again along with the alternator now. Mid drive the lights would cut off, speed thermometer would be off by 15, and almost impossible to turn the wheel.

- Aberdeen, MS, USA

Dec 302020

Sonata

At stop sign to turn left, started and steering wheel would not turn. Felt like loss of power steering. Fortunately, no other cars around, I put gear in reverse to back up before hitting ditch on other side of road. I turned off car, restarted and wheel worked. Stopped on major highway to turn at light, happened again. Manage to get car to pohanka Hyundai svc dept.. next day, was told it was a sensor. Car drove ok for a couple of days and then happened again, two different times. Waited until after christmas to call pohanka but decided to research recalls on this model. Dec 30th, stopped to turn left onto street, steering locked up, almost went in ditch crossing over 2 lanes. Cut off engine with key, restarted car, backed up and managed to get off road to keep from being hit by oncoming vehicles. Researched to find many complaints with steering since 2017! this is dangerous and want Hyundai accountable. I want to know what the problem is and if it can be fixed or if car needs to be replaced.

- Fredericksbg, VA, USA

Oct 232020

Sonata

On Friday night, October 23, 2020, I was driving East on E. main street in mesa, AZ headed to the red mountain 202 freeway. The light was green as I approached the intersection and I made a right turn onto the freeway frontage road to head southbound. I was driving approximately 25 mph as my car's steering became rigid and felt like my power steering had gone out. I could barely complete the right turn causing my car to careen into the concrete side barrier causing damage to the front driver's side of the vehicle. Many of the dashboard lights were on with many different alerts as I pulled over with my passenger. We pulled over immediately after the collision to assess the damages and our well being for a few minutes. I then proceeded to drive to my place of work a few miles away and park the car so I could contact the dealership who had worked on my car three days prior. The next morning, October 24, 2020, I called the horne Hyundai dealership and left a message at the switchboard for a service manager to call me. I informed her that I had been involved in an accident. On Monday morning, October 26, 2020 I drove the car to the dealership to be inspected. On Wednesday, October 28, 2020, I was informed by matt colton, service manager from horne Hyundai, that it was not their issue and that I 'needed to turn it into my insurance.' As a result, I have not driven my unrepaired car, it is securely parked at my place of employment as to preserve it for inspection.

- Queen Creek, AZ, USA

Nov 112020

Sonata

Driving along at street or highway speeds steering becomes sticky. Wondering about power steering pump or steering column. Please advise.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Sep 022020

Sonata

I had a power steering fail. While driving I lost my power steering, power steering light came on, and due I was able to get my car into the emergency lane. The traction control light came power steering..

- Princeton, TX, USA

Mar 252020

Sonata

I was driving on the street when I made it to a very busy intersection I proceeded to make a left turn and the power steering went out. I was almost hit by 3 cars trying to get out of the way. Prior to that my wife made the comment that it had happened to her and she had to get help to get out of the middle of the intersection because the steering was to hard for her to turn it alone. This is a very very dangerous issue. I see that there was a recall on the 2010 and 2011 models the problem still persists in later models. They're an great amount of people online that have reported the same issue.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Jan 202020

Sonata

I was trying to back into a park and the steering wheel locked up and wouldn't turn. An indicator light with a steering wheel inside of a circle with a ! came on along with traction indicator.

- Plainfield, IL, USA

Nov 042019

Sonata

11/4/19 I had a power steering fail. While driving I lost my power steering, power steering light came on and due to traveling in the slow lane I was able to get my car in to the emergency lane. The traction control light came on only to indicate I was hitting the emergency grooves outside the lane. I turned the car off and while in process of contacting aaa - I started the car and the power steering light was off and I was able to drive home. I took the car to tarr huyandai the next morning and there were 3 codes present. My steering angle sensor was recalibrated. My concern is what caused the fail and no one seems to have an answer. This situation created a major safety hazard had I been driving in heavy traffic and this occurred and me unable to steer the car in manual mode. I contacted huyandai and apparently this has been a problem with 2016 Sonata models but my car was mfg at a plant that wasn't on recall. So at this point - the mfg plant where my vehicle was mfg apparently has the same problem with mine being the first reported. I feel totally unsafe in this car esp traveling on interstates, night time, etc since no one can answer why my power steering quit and reset when I turned the car off. This needs to be addressed before someone is killed. I was traveling on hwy 160 in morristown tn when this occurred - I am also concerned when I told tarr the power steering failed and the traction came on when hit the off road grids they listed traction control lamp was on and did not mention the power steering. That is important to remember with this case.

- Morristown, TN, USA

Jul 142019

Sonata

The power steering quit while driving at highway speeds and in city driving you have to try to get vehicle off highway turn car off and it will reset

- Goldsboro, NC, USA

Jun 182019

My steering is melting

- Brunswick, GA, USA

Jan 212019

Sonata

The steering wheel locked failed during cold weather. Steering wheel lock would not release when trying to turn key, even though I was able to turn the steering wheel while trying to turn key. Worried wheel lock could fail while driving. Also, I see this car had other recalls which I never received info from Hyundai about, I am second owner of vehicle bought from Hyundai dealer in northhampton, MA.

- New Marlborough, MA, USA

Dec 172018

Sonata

Vehicle exhibits sticky steering and engine has stalled 3 times. Steering is very difficult to control as it sticks severely when trying to steer or maneuver the vehicle on any local road or highway. Vehicle has stalled 3X already when coming to a complete stop. Vehicle shakes when brake is released moving from a complete stop.

- Lithonia, GA, USA

Feb 192018

Sonata

I got the car inspected and balance, but the steering wheel can't be upright, is always to the left side and nobody can fix it yet.

- Spring Lake, NC, USA

Mar 272018

Sonata

The power steering failed on this vehicle while in drive mode on 3/24/18, 3/27/18. On 3/27/18 while on I495 highway going 35-40 mph the steering will suddenly locked. A tractor trailer had to swerve in order to avoid hitting myself and my children. The vehicle was taken to the Hyundai dealership who stated that it is an eps failure.

- Washington, DC, USA

Dec 042017

Sonata

My cars engine has completely shut down while driving several times. If I turn the car off and restart it fixed the issue for the time being. The second issue is my steering wheel has locked while I've been driving making it impossible to control the car.

- Washington, DC, USA

Nov 122017

Sonata

I purchased this auto in Sept 2917 used, a few weeks later my wife was driving on a city street when the electric steering assist failed and a red steering wheel indicator appeared on the dash she managed to drive it home, when I turned the car off and restarted it everything was ok. On 11/12 2017 the same thing happened to me as I was turning onto a side street from a city street I was so surprised I didnt turn fast enough and almost hit 3 teenagers on a sidewalk. I immediately shut the car off and re started it and every thing again was ok.I am afraid there is a malfunction in the control I am sure it will happen again and the result may not be as easily solved.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Aug 032017

Sonata

Without clear cause this rental car's power steering stopped working while driving at slow to moderate speeds- the first time we were in a parking lot so able to pull into a safe place after a tow company checked it out and it seemed to have spontaneously resolved we tried to drive it a short distance at slow speeds and the dashboard started to flash on and off and the power steering cut again.

- Boston, MA, USA

May 142017

Sonata

While driving I notice that the steering wheel seems to stick slightly so that you have to turn the wheel either left or right slightly then it resumes steering properly for few seconds then it sticks again. It doesn't do it all the time but when it does it makes me think that the steering wheel is getting ready to lock up. I notice this mostly on highways and it really wears you out trying to drive and worrying that the steering might lock up. This happens a lot.

- Morehead City, NC, USA

Jun 092016

Sonata

While driving 65mph at 10pm on a the interstate, I heard a pound "thunk" and thought I had a tire issue, so began to steer toward the emergency lane. I quickly realized I had no power to accelerate, no power steering and the dash was blacked out...car was dead. Only ever thing working was radio, emergency flashers and dome light. Door locks did not even work. Called for roadside assistance and car was towed. I have no further information about the car's disposition as it was a rental. It was terrifying and could have ended catastrophically in serious injury or death. The reason I am filing this report is to insure it will be investigated thoroughly. I did report it to Hyundai.

- Greenville, SC, USA