8.0

$2,400

Most common solutions:

1. repaint (6 reports)
  2. body shop paint job (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Hyundai Sonata:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Hyundai dealer.

Aug 282020

Sonata 2.4L

I've been a faithful Hyundai customer for 15 years. I bought this 2017 Sonata Sport on July 17, 2020. It was a beautiful white car. This was the first white car I had ever purchased. It was my 3 straight Hyundai purchase. I love the car but, after 4 weeks, the paint started peeling off the roof after a car wash. Not knowing of the previous problems, I took it to a local body shop. I received an estimate that I would pay for. But, after they started sanding the whole roof peeled off. Hyundai has blamed me for taking it to a local shop, I only wish that all of their customers were like me. BUYERS BEWARE! Hyundai is a great car but, the warranty is a JOKE!!!

- Mike M., Wheelersburg, US

Jun 302021

Sonata Sport V6

Started in June 2021 with a .25" long chip on hood. Began bubbling paint around it. (Has grown to 3'). Went to Hyundai to check warranty or recalled on paint. They said 3 yrs warranty (too late) and no recall.

I went to a body shop yesterday and ask about the now 3 holes in hood and a 10" peel above window shield. Ugh... Shop owner said he could see E-coat under peeled paint so he said primer let loose. Metal was not scuffed enough to have primer hold. They said it was a known issue w/ White pearl Sonata's on hood and roof.

The car is 4 years old. Going to check with Hyundai dealer today. I'll let you know...

- Mark B., Melbourne, US

Mar 212021

Sonata Sport 2.0t

paint peeling paint peeling

My car is barely 4 years old. There is only 17500 miles on it. The warranty for paint is only 3 years. I just retired and can't afford to have my car repainted but this problem will seriously compromise the durability of my car. This has to be fixed or it will rust. I love my car but this is unacceptable. I have owned 3 Hyundai's over the past 25 years but don't think there will be a 4th if this issue isn't fixed.

- mpetersheim, Reading, US

Dec 012020

Sonata ES 3.2L

click to see larger images

paint peeling paint peeling paint peeling

I called Hyundai and was told by one person that there was a problem with this color paint but was then contacted by the National office saying that it was out of warranty.

- Benita K., Pasadena, MD, US

May 012020

Sonata

I have a large spot where right above the windshield peeling. It looks really bad. I just realized that this problem is widespread among sonata owners and I will be contacting the dealership to see if it is covered under warranty. What a hassle.

- Sean B., Orlando, FL, US

Nov 022019

Sonata

i just want to not have to ride around in a car with paint peeling off, i pay too much money for this car and its a defect on hyundai's side that needs to be corrected because no one expects to buy a faulty car.... i've been team hyundai for many years , i just cant believe this.

- Kimberley S., Houma, LA, US

Jul 052019

Sonata Limited

Purchased my Hyundai Sonata 1 yr ago. Noticed a few months ago that I had a couple of minor chips in the paint where the roof meets the windshield. Last week the paint on the roof looked like it was starting to bubble. Now the paint is peeling off in big swatches all the way to the primer/frame!! I contacted body repair, only to be informed that this is a WIDE SPREAD problem that Hyundai is aware of and it is faulty manufacturing!! I was advised that too repair the roof paint it would be $2,000 !!! Are you kidding me??

Advised to contact Hyundai as they should pay for the repair. I contacted Hyundai customer service and was advised the paint was only covered for 36,000 ! Are you F-ING kidding me??? Advised me to contact a local dealer. I then researched to see if other people have had this problem and the internet is full of "peeling paint" issues from Hyundai! I'm LIVID!

There was a class action lawsuit that was dismissed for some reason, and never refiled (even though the judge encouraged plaintiffs to refile the lawsuit). I say we get legal representation and file a new class action lawsuit against Hyundai. Had I known of this issue, or of the "exploding sunroof" issues I would NEVER have bought this car- or any car from Hyundai! Best warranty in the business? GIVE ME A BREAK !!!! And I purchased an extended warranty !! For what??

- Kimberly H., Georgetown, KY, US

Dec 212018

Sonata ES 2.4L 4 cyl

paint peeling

I can see after a little research that this has been a problem with Hyundai cars. This is the second new Hyundai I have purchased. The first was a 2004 Elantra that I put 214,000 miles on with only general maintenance. That lead me to stick with Hyundai for my new purchase. This just happened yesterday on the hi-way coming home from work. As long as Hyundai covers it under warranty I will still be very pleased with their products. We'll see?

Update from Jan 21, 2019: I took the car to the Hyundai dealership and they repainted the problem area. They did a great job and also took care of 2 recall issues while i was there. All done at no cost to me. Very satisfied.

- Peggy E., Pembroke Pines, FL, US