Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2018 Hyundai Sonata:

Apr 222021

Sonata

2018 Hyundai Sonata sport. Purchased vehicle 03/20/2021 and it has been in the shop 5 times for the same issue. Car starts to smoke and make a loud knocking noise, when checking the oil, it appears to have no oil in the engine at all. Every single time they have changed the oil and replaced it and within a 1,000 miles the oil has completely dissolved in the engine. They performed a consumption test and stated that they did a top engine cleaning for the combustion and that it should not happen again and if it did that they would reach out to Hyundai to start the process of replacing the engine. Took it back at the 1,000 mile mark and they stated that it was fine, but after only a few weeks to a month the car started smoking and knocking again, took it back and yes the engine was bone dry again no oil at all on the dipstick. This vehicle has been in the shop more than I was able to drive it. The oil light keeps jumping on and off and the dealer is aware of this issue and they stated that the manufacturer is aware of this issue as well. But it seems that they are refusing to rectify the issue with a new engine and just keep patching the problem, that I would have to keep taking back every 1,00 miles for a consumption test. The oil ight was present when they sold me the vehicle but the dealership stated that they had performed an oil change and it needed to be reprogrammed but that did not fix the problem.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Apr 012021

Sonata

The contact owns a 2018 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated while driving 55 mph, the check engine warning light illuminated. The contact stated that the change the oil was changed every 3,000 miles instead of ever 3,500. The contact stated that there was no oil leak found. The contact took the vehicle to the local dealer who was unable to determine the cause of the failure. The manufacturer had not been informed of the failure. The failure mileage was 37,291.

- Olathe, KS, USA

Jun 052021

Sonata

6/5/21 2018 Hyundai Sonata - less than 20K miles Turning left into parking lot at very low speed Car completely lost all power and brakes - all dashboard lights etc went out No warning of any kind - nothing evenly remotely like this has happened before Was able to glide into parking spot and stop but only with extreme pressure on brake Key was still in on position - put car in park, set parking brake, turned key to off Car started again and was able to drive about 1/4 mile back home Immediately called dealer from whom we purchased and had car towed No diagnosis as of yet

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Mar 122021

Sonata

The oil consumption is out of control for their vehicles I've had more oil changes that I've ever done on a vehicle I've done oil construction tests and they always say it's just at the 1 quart that they allow who's is bull I've checked my oil cold and it's hardly on the stick and the oil light has come on numerous times I'm no genus but I do know it's more than a quart low when your oil light comes on. At 1,100 miles it was 2.5 quarts low and I was forced to do another oil change when I only had 1,100 miles on this one. The first pic I've attached is cold oil level at 1,100 miles after oil change. The car only has 53K on it and I want to know how many times do we have to do oil consumption tests to get it fixed under the lifetime engine replacement and forget about the roadside assistance from Hyundai they tow 20 miles that's it and the rest is on you how is that fair when it's not your problem to begin with.

- Norwich, NY, USA

Jan 182021

Sonata

I was driving began my Sonata in moderate to heavy traffic.without warning the vehicle began lurching. I was unable to control it. The Hyundai had a mind of its own. I got the "check engine" light on & some message on the screen that I could not read because I was driving. I pulled off the road & had the car towed to a Hyundai dealer. Upon return of the car, the dealer explained that Hyundai took control of the car as a "safety precaution" for the engine. This is an unsafe safety precaution. They not I controlled the car.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Jan 032021

Sonata

While driving car on an interstate highway engine power suddenly declined and vehicle had no pickup. I was unable to keep up with the highway traffic, I had to tow the car to the dealership for repairs. I was informed by the Hyundai service department that my car required a computer software upgrade to correct the condition. Apparently they are aware of this problem but there are no recalls concerning this problem.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Dec 072020

Sonata

I was driving in another city and my car went into limp mode. I had it towed to nearby dealer and they said I was low in oil, after having it changed an month before. They did oil consumption test and found it to be 1 quart per 1000 miles and left there and 2 months later had another consumption test done after seeing my car was one in the class action on engine and bearings. They found this one to be 1.1 qts per 1000 miles. Dealer said no way will they send info to get a new engine under warranty. A qt a 1000 miles seems very excessive. Dealer said that you need to be at 1.5 qt per 1000 which would be almost no oil when I go have an oil change. The vehicle is only 3 years old and 100000 miles. This seems like too much oil to be burnt. And they know they have engine issues and will not rectify

- Vancouver, WA, USA

Dec 032020

Sonata

In Feb 2020 my Sonata went into safe mode after exiting highway and dealer ended up replacing "knock sensor". in December 2020 my engine "stuttered" throwing me forward as if I had hit brakes hard. No warning lights or messages occurred and after a few seconds car acted normally mostly. A few days later after exiting highway again the engine warning light (orange) came on along with error message "possible condition with engine control system" has been detected. Car did not go into "safe mode" and seemed to be operating normally. I contacted dealer who assured me safe to drive over hundred miles back to dealership in this condition to check. I drove back from East coast fl to West coast fl to turn car in. I believe engine issue experienced is related to the theta engine issue and repair would be covered under settlement. Dealership disagrees and has indicated issue is with fuel pumps (both are being replaced) and charging me $2300.

- Naples, FL, USA

Sep 232020

Sonata

I turned on my car and the malfunction indicator light turned on my dash board. I put the car in reverse and ignored it. Kept driving. The car turned off completely when I was turningin in a busy intersection. I turned it on again and it didn't want to excelerate.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jan 202020

Sonata

I rent this car from tower rentals I paid 1300$ day before easter no one would come get it fix it I'm in queens I got money tolls and gas took to their repair shop in bronx yesterday after 4 hours they told me nothing wrong sent me home after they did 50 min inspection which it failed. They have caused me tons of money parts jumps travel time loss of work and do not care or reimburse me the car sits X time won't start again without jump I sent numerous emails asking my yearly receipt all I've paid still not given it to

- East Elmhurst, NY, USA

Feb 102020

Sonata

Everytime I accelerate my SUV makes a very loud grinding / ? noises and sometimes when I slow from accelerating. Talked with Hyundai mechanic that said their may be a engine problem. Only had it 1 month. I am afraid that it will become very dangerous to drive it.

- Mooresville, NC, USA

Feb 242020

Sonata

I was driving my car at about 45mph on my way to work on a highway road and out of no where it jerked and the check engine light started flashing. Car would not accelerate above 2,000 rpms. When the car jerked, it was so sudden it injured my lower back. My back has been very sore since this incident. I then took to dealer and they said it was a known issue and Hyundai had not recalled my specific car. Dealer was able to replicate the issue. The cleared the check engine light and sent me on my way. One mile down the road exact same thing happened. Car is currently at their shop with no eta of repair.

- Topeka, KS, USA

Jan 222020

Sonata

This car has a mind of it on when I turn on heat the radio station goes static very bad engine light keep coming on go to dealership they keep on reset instead of fixing it yesterday my starter burn out.just out the blue with no warning sign it was going out

- Hampton, VA, USA

Dec 032019

Sonata

The car buck going threw lights it had no power. It would bog down when you lease expect it. This doesn't always happen. But once happen at 1:30am. The light been on for awhile. I go threw a green light the car went lip and the semi laid on his horn at 1:30am. Because he didn't know I been having this problem for months.the next morning I went to the dealer just as they got there no appointment I just walked in. I was pissed. They changed the knock switch. It almost worked for two weeks.

- Riverhead, NY, USA

Dec 192019

Sonata

My 2018 Sonata will not start when temp drops below 20 deg F. it has happened 3 times this winter and when it warms back up to 40 to 50 degree it will start. When I turn the key on all the lights on the dash light up like normal. I can move hear selector and turn wheel. But the starter will not engage nothing is heard not a click or a shirt. Is this common problem?

- Schenectady, NY, USA

Jul 062019

Sonata

On five separate occasions while driving on the highway the vehicle will loose power and ability accelerate with a flashing engine light. These incidents have almost caused me to be rear ended three times because you are not able to accelerate above 60mph in rush hour traffic on a busy interstate and the ability just stops quickly with no warning. The vehicle also has been having the rpms drop to 0 and shoot back up while braking, and while driving it is tough to accelerate and then you will feel a noticeable 'kick' and the rpms will shoot up drastically before it will accelerate. I have had 2 software updates done, a new wire harness, knock sensor cleaning and a knock sensor replacement. The engine code is always the same 1326.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Nov 062019

Sonata

On 2 different days the car killed on the highway. Both times the Hyundai service dept. Looked at it. The first time, they said the software update that was worked on a few months previous, had a glitch in it. The second time they said they didn't know why it happened. While driving the rpms will race up but the car doesn't move much. They said it didn't do that when they drove it. Also since the first software update was done, if I drive 80mph (on the interstate hwy.) the seats shake.

- Mandeville, LA, USA

Jun 032019

Sonata

June 2019, at about 11,500 miles took car in for an oil change and was told due to a recall, a software update needed to be done. At about 13,500 miles, engine light came in, car was jerking in motion on highway and lost power. Car would not accelerate last 62 mph. Car was serviced and block sensor wire harness was replaced. Car was returned and again while in highway engine light came on, lost power, car was jerking while child was in the car and while car was in motion. Car was serviced and block sensor was replaced. At about 18K miles, engine light came on while on highway and again with child in the car and car lost power and also was jerking while in motion. Car was serviced and engine replaced. 3000 miles later, again while in the highway, engine light came on, car lost power and was jerking and would not accelerate. Car was serviced and the following day, while on the expressway in Chicago, the engine light came on and the car lost power and was jerking hard while in motion. Car was towed to dealership in rockford il. After the 4th attempt to repair, lemon law claim was filed with Hyundai motor America which they denied due to mileage. This car is unsafe to drive. When it loses power there is no warning, no brake lights come on to notify cars behind, and while in the busy expressway in Chicago was very dangerous. Also dangerous to have children in this vehicle. Hyundai motor America refuses to do anything but repairs and is ignoring the dangerousness this problem. This occurred all 5 times while the car was in motion. The code that reads for this is 1326 per the service records.

- Beloit, WI, USA

May 152019

Sonata

The contact owns a 2018 Hyundai Sonata. While exiting the interstate at 60 mph, the vehicle went into limp mode, jerked, and failed to accelerate. In addition, the check engine warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was towed to auffenberg Hyundai (located at 1300 central park dr, O'fallon, il 62269, (618) 622-9001) where it was diagnosed that the nox sensor failed and needed to be replaced. The contact stated that the vehicle was repaired for the third time. The contact also stated that the technician reset the computer, the wiring harness was replaced, and the nox sensor was cleaned; however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was also taken to an unknown dealer in tx, but the failure code could not be recreated. The dealer reset the computer and replaced the nox sensor, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified and provided case number: 15894913. The approximate failure mileage was 15,000.

- Caseyville, IL, USA

Jul 112019

Sonata

The contact owned a 2018 Hyundai Sonata. The contact was alerted by the police and fire departments at 4:00am that her vehicle caught fire. The vehicle was destroyed. The fire department extinguished the fire. A police report was filed. The contact wanted to obtain a fire report to verify if the fire originated from the engine. The insurance company was not notified. The contact later received notification of the manufacturer's service campaign number: 953 (ECM & cluster update-engine monitoring logic product improvement). Rogers auto group Chicago (2720 S Michigan ave, Chicago, il 60616, (312) 620-1340) was contacted and was waiting for the manufacturer to provide guidance within 48 hours. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was not available.

- Chicago, IL, USA