Most common solutions:

1. engine replacement (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid:

Feb 282020

Sonata Hybrid SE

Starting on 02/28/2020, the engine all of a sudden started knocking for no known reason. I thought a belt was loose or something like that. Unfortunately I was leaving for vacation the next day and did not want to drive the vehicle from Philadelphia to JFK Airport in NYC, so I left it home.

Upon returning from vacation on 03/11, I towed the vehicle to a Hyundai dealership. Being that they only have one hybrid tech, they said it would take a week to even get looked at,.........fine. Then the pandemic went into full swing and the dealership closed for over a month. So sometime in April they got back to me and said that the vehicle needs an engine replacement at the cost of $14,000. Yes, $14,000! They said that it’s not covered under warranty because I am not the original owner, but to help me out, they would cover half the cost, so I would be responsible for paying $7,000 as if I just have that kind of money just laying around.

They said that this is a common problem with the vehicle, however, the recall is only involving the 2.0 engines. I contacted the national customer service to complain about the price, to which they responded, “that’s the decision and it’s final”. So I let the car stay at the dealership while I pondered my options because I’m not paying for a car that I cannot drive. I contacted the national customer service again a few weeks later and explained that when I got the car, the seller told me that it was fully warrantied 10 years/100,000 miles and that this is a known, common issue with this car. Also that $7,000 is an insanely high. I’m an unemployed, single father of four, please reconsider your decision to cover the cost. A few days later, a manager called me back and took all my information. He said that he would be in touch with the dealership and get back to me with a decision. I haven’t heard anything yet, but if they don’t cover the cost, I’m just gonna let the bank take the car back. I cannot pay such a high car note for an non-driveable car.

Also note, there was never a engine warning light and I’ve had regular oil changes.

- Maurice B., Levittown, PA, US