6.7

Most common solutions:

2. recall engines & replace engine with extended warranty (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2018 Hyundai Tucson:

Jun 292022

Tucson LS V4

One day our 2018 Hyundai Tuscon began to make a clicking sound, or like something was loose on the exhaust rattling underneath. Then the next day we were supposed to take it out of town to the dealership, but as soon as the vehicle was started, it showed warning lights. We contacted the dealership, and we told them we weren't sure if it was safe & operational to drive down there out of town down a 70-mph highway. They told us on the phone that they thought we could make it down there okay, but we didn't even safely make it out onto the highway! We went through our town & proceeded to get onto the on ramp to the highway, tried to make it to a 60-70 mph speed to enter highway, but the car immediately went into an automatic 40-mph limp mode as we got onto the highway. Surprisingly we didn't get hit or run over due to not being able to accelerate. Yes, we were doing 40-mph on a 70-mph highway, so we had our hazard light flashers on all the way to the next exit ramp. Luckily, we made it back to our house in town in the Hyundai automatic limp mode & then called a tow truck (thankfully we had AAA) to have it towed to the dealership 27 miles out of town.

They had the car for 4 days saying they had to run a bunch of tests on it, one being a diagnostic test. The first update call they gave us about the vehicle, they said, "that it may need the whole engine replaced & that there's been trouble with them burning (consuming) oil too fast once they reach 60-70,000 miles"! This is the same dealership that just changed the oil 2,000 miles prior & has had regularly scheduled oil changes there too. The whole time they had it for the 4 day we had to rent a car at our expense. We contacted the dealership on the 3rd day they had it & we said, "look, Hyundai (the dealership) should provide us with a free rental if you're going to be looking it over for any further days!" Finally, then on the 4th day they called saying, "you can pick up your car, we discovered it was extremely low on oil & that's why it went into this limp mode."

We got down there to pick it up and they told us we owed $79.00 for the diagnostics test, we said, "we should not have to pay for this test because it's a problem with Hyundai Tucson engines consuming oil!" They said, "you can't take your car until you sign & pay the bill", so we demanded to speak with a manager, but they told us he was out sick with covid. We needed the car badly, so we didn't have to keep paying for the rental car, so we payed the bill to take the Tucson back to return the rental, but as we were handed the keys the service guy at the dealership told us to check the oil regularly and add oil because it will continue to burn oil!

So here we are with a claim made to Hyundai about this whole problem & we've had to add 3 quarts of oil so far, with premium synthetic oil being $9-$10 per quart. What a miserable experience this has been and continues to be, because they want the vehicle brought in for an oil consumption test now! It's where they change the oil & have you drive it 1,000 miles and bring it back in for them to determine how much oil it consumed or burned. The whole problem with this is, is that after a few hundred miles driven now it's consumed or burned enough oil that more has to be added so it doesn't go into limp mode again! Every time we go to add a quart of oil, we take off the oil cap and it has smoke rolling out.

What a disaster Hyundai, please recall these engines!

- dado t, Logan, US

Nov 162020

Tucson

My vehicle goes through oil quick, even with insufficient driving. I make sure that I keep the level at the maximum but I find myself adding more every month or so. I will never buy another Hyundai.

- Juston W., Bensalem, US

Jan 182022

Tucson

I purchased my Tucson certified used from a Hyundai dealer and within 5 months my mechanic told me I was almost out of oil at my 3000 mile oil change. This vehicle is FOUR years old!!!

- Elizbeth G., Harleysville, PA, US