$640

Most common solutions:

2. replace crankshaft sensor (3 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Jeep Patriot:

Feb 012020

Patriot High Altitude 4WD 2.4L

It started acting up Feb. 1, 2020 not long after I bought it (Nov 8 2019). It would work, then it wouldn't. It is a hazard to drive because it stalls out or chugs along at a snail's pace until you can pull off the road to shut it down and restart it hoping it accelerates. It is still an issue (Aug 2022). I have not been able to drive it for 2 years even though I am still paying on it because it is just not safe for myself or others on the road. It is a hazard all the way around. I keep checking for recalls, but the sites say there are none.

How do I get this looked at and fixed under the recall?

Aug 262020

Patriot High Altitude 4WD 2.4L

Still same issue... It started acting up Feb 1, 2020, not long after I bought it (Nov 8 2019). It would work, then it wouldn't. It is a hazard to drive because it stalls out or chugs along at a snail's pace until you can pull off the road to shut it down and restart it, hoping it accelerates. It is still an issue (Aug 2022). I have not been able to drive it for 2 years even though I am still paying on it because it is just not safe for myself or others on the road. It is a hazard all the way around.

I keep checking for recalls, but the sites say there are none. However, finally there may be a ray of hope in solving this awful mess. I just got an email last week from CarComplaints.com about this same issue. It listed the 2016 Jeep Patriot as having that issue and being recalled. The Manufactured dates listed there are May 9, 2016 to July 15, 2016. My door sticker says build date 7-16 MDH 071000 486AA.

How do I get this looked at and fixed under the recall? I HAVE NOT driven it since August 26, 2020. It is now Aug 7, 2022. I am still paying on this and can't drive it because it is unsafe to travel anywhere chugging along and being a hazard.

Jun 012020

Patriot High Altitude 4WD 2.4L

Still same issue... It started acting up Feb 1, 2020 not long after I bought it (Nov 8 2019). It would work, then it wouldn't. It is a hazard to drive because it stalls out or chugs along at a snail's pace until you can pull off the road to shut it down and restart it hoping it accelerates. It is still an issue (Aug 2022). I have not been able to drive it for 2 years even though I am still paying on it because it is just not safe for myself or others on the road. It is a hazard all the way around.

How do I get this looked at and fixed under the recall?

Apr 012020

Patriot Latitude 2.0L V4

• CVT transmission

For last couple months my Jeep Patriot has intermittently lost power while driving.

The first time it happened I was coming off the highway. When I turned onto the street, the car lost all acceleration. I pressed the gas pedal and nothing happened. Luckily it kicked back in and I was on my way.

Then it happened on the highway while I was driving 60 MPH. The car completely lost acceleration. I slowed down quickly and pressing the gas pedal did nothing. Then a few seconds later I was able to accelerate. a couple times it stalled when I stopped at a light. After looking at recalls, I saw there was one S89 on 2016 Jeep Patriots, that sounded like exactly what was wrong with my vehicle. I informed the service department and they said my Patriot wasn't included in that recall and then gave the recall information paper back to me. He called me later and said it was the ABS system causing all the issues so I had them fix it. Then when he called me to tell me my car was ready, he said they also had to replace the crankshaft sensor, the very issue I told him it was. They fixed the ABS, then when they took it for a test drive it stalled on the highway and then the other code came up for the crankshaft sensor. They should have test driven it in the first place. Now I wonder if there even was a problem with my ABS. I also paid for a diagnostic test that apparently, according to them, is what triggered the ABS code. I have requested a printout of the diagnostic test, we'll see what happens.

- D.M. G., Cleveland, OH, US

May 042019

Patriot Sport 2.4L

I noticed my 2016 Jeep Patriot "sputtering" a bit when I would accelerate to make a light & it stalled once while backing up but didn't seem like a big deal. At 29,500 miles on 5/7/19 while turning in a large, busy intersection the red engine light started flashing, abs light came on & the lightning bolt (throttle) light comes on - car starts sputtering & slowed with maybe 20 cars on all sides of this intersection. After a week wait for repair, rental car, BS drama getting the warranty co. to take responsibility (Compass-American Guardian) - the report is "faulty motor", vacuum leak, throttle body failure. $100 deductible. So - I had to PAY for part of the repair even though it's a Jeep Failure.

- Erin L., Santa Fe, US

Apr 252016

Patriot High Altitude 2.0L

vehicle gas stops working and traction control lights up

The vehicle, after going around a curve, will not accelerate when you hit the gas. It started only happening for a few seconds but has gotten increasingly worse in the span of only a few days. The most recent occurrence happened on a busy highway. I had to pull off and put the car in park, turn it off and then restart the vehicle for it to work again. The last time when it occurred the traction control light also came one. I had not hit the brake and was not overly accelerating. I was going around a small curve in the road at 45 mph. This issue has occurred at all different speeds but always happens after a curve or turning left or right.

You can imagine the safety issue when it stops on a major highway or when you are turning over traffic and you can't get out of the way because the accelerator stops working.

- Erica D., Greenville, SC, US