8.4

$120

Most common solutions:

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Kia Optima:

Jan 012021

Optima SLX Turbo

Just love the car overall and I've had a lot, both US and foreign. Nicely outfitted with driver conveniences etc. Since they had an issue with the engine blowing up and extended my engine warrantee, I'm good with that, BUT the issue of having to add oil every 1000 miles or so should not be happening. After all, this is a high tech industry (car engines, trans. etc.) What happened to the testing of their engines? Adding oil ever so often isn't the worse thing in the world but, Please KIA, lets get this high tech issues in line with the rest of the world.

Many thanks, for Carcomplaints.com.

Capt. Rich Warren

- Richard W., Silver Spring, US

Jan 012019

Optima LX 2.4L

Kia Optima 2016 LX consumes around a quart of oil per 1000 miles. Kia seems to think this is okay. Manual recommends oil change every 7500 miles but Kia dealership recommending oil changes every 3000 miles. Constantly having to check oil levels and a few months ago had to get the valve cover gasket replaced. Also owned a 2017 Kia with under 20,000 miles on it and the same issue was happening although to a lesser amount due to low mileage.

- T J., Pompano Beach, FL, US

Jul 012018

Optima LX 2.4L

Talks to dealer where we purchased the problem and was told that there was not a recall for this problem. Soot in tailpipe and on floor of garage indicates considerable oil consumption. One quart every 1000 miles or so.

- Ocie H., Mansfield, GA, US

Mar 282021

Optima LX

My 2016 Kia Optima is burning oil like crazy. At least a quart every 500 or 600 miles. I drive 112 miles a day for work. Seems that this is a common problem that is not being addressed by Kia.

- danacavalier, Pierre Part, US

Nov 192021

Optima EX N/A

had gone to Jenkins Mazda of Ocala over a month ago to trade in my 2012 Mazda3 car and got a 2016 Kia Optima EX. About 2 weeks after I got the vehicle, my oil light came on. Turned out, there was NO oil in the Kia when I checked it so I had to put a quart in and drive to the Mazda dealership. Come to find out, the neglected to tell me the the oil consumption is common in the Kia's and they said that my warranty on my engine had expired and my new extended warranty didn't start until December 5, 2021. Well, it's been over a month and they still haven't done anything to fix the problem and still haven't returned any of my phone calls and my first payment is tomorrow December 20, 2021.

- Jennifer P., Ocala, FL, US

Mar 022016

Optima 2.4L

My 2016 Kia Optima burns oil like crazy, costing me money. I brought this car brand new. I won't buy another new car ever.

- Willie L., Rochester, US

May 252020

Optima LX

I have been having to take my car back in roughly every 2000 miles for oil changes because after I get over 1500 miles out of an oil change the oil light comes on. Each time I am being told that I am 4 quarts low. The second time, in May I took the car back less than a week and was already 4 quarts low. This has been going on since at least November.

I have already had 3 oil changes this year.. of course nobody wants to tell me how to stop this from happening but... they keep charging me for oil changes... I think its time to get rid of my Kia once and for all.... I am done with them at this point.

- Kristina F., Hagerstown, MD, US

Jul 052019

Optima LS 4 cyl

BOUGHT TWO CARS USED FROM SMITHHAVEN USED CARS IN MEDFORD, LONG ISLAND, NEW YORK. I DROVE IT FOR 5000 MILES AND TOOK IT IN TO HAVE OIL CHANGED AND THE DEALER TOLD ME IT WAS 4 QUARTS LOW. I HAD HIM CHANGE IT WITH SYNTHETIC OIL AND LEFT. THE SAME THING HAPPENED EVERY TIME I HAD THE OIL CHANGED. I WENT TO A KIA DEALER WHO TOLD ME THERE WAS NOTHING HE CAN DO. NOW I AM AFRAID TO DRIVE THE CAR

- Raymond P., Nesconset, NY, US

Aug 302018

Optima 4

Bought this car used because Kia has a 60k mile drive train warranty, and since the car only had 16k miles on it, sounded like a safe bet. Shortly after we bought it, we noticed wiff's of black smoke out of the exhaust, and that the car used oil - slightly under a qt per 1000 miles. I couldn't believe it, a car with this few miles burning oil. Figured it wouldn't be a problem since it has plenty of warranty left. Well, boy was I wrong.

Took it to the Kia dealership (who wants to help, but are required to follow Kia's guidelines), and they did the oil consumption test. Kia's decision was that it uses less than a qt per 1000 miles, and that there's no "engine knocking", that it's perfectly acceptable. This car will not pass an emissions test if taken in the morning, because of the smoke that it emits, but Kia finds this to be ok? This car is hypothetically always low on oil, but that's not a warranty issue according to Kia.

This car obviously has ring problems, or valve seal issues, but Kia won't repair it. I can't believe it. I also own a Nissan with about 200k miles on it, and it doesn't burn a drop of oil. On a scheduled oil change, I will have burned and replaced about 3 of the 5 quarts. This is total insanity that Kia thinks there's nothing wrong with this car. I'm furious with Kia about how, in my opinion, they are NOT honoring their warranty.

- Thomas S., Daphne, AL, US

Nov 302018

Optima

The car stutters and acceleration is awful, mainly on highway. Car has stalled a few times and completely shut off randomly. Had the recall for drive shift and it seems like it didn't work. Car feels like it shifts gears on its own and not at the correct times. Then a month ago, the car completely shut down with no warning. Every light came on and it took a few times to turn car over. Went to the garage and there was not a drop of oil in car. Since, the car has been burning oil rapidly and is back in the shop today. I am leasing the car and I am beyond annoyed with this. My 3rd Optima but this year model is not good.

- Erin F., Warwick, RI, US

Feb 252017

Optima LX 2.4L

Hi got this 2016 kia optima 2.4 auto trans new iv always been a vw person because I worked on European cars but there warranty was sad and I got a good deal on this and more options so I thought well ill try a kia boy I'm mad. Car has 2881 miles on it now everything has been fine but at 26xx miles the car was half a qt low on oil figured ok brake in what not. Now I'm at 2881 and it's another half qt low. Kia says to change the oil every 3700 miles. I have not even mead it to the first oil change and already used 1 qt of oil not ok my 2002 jetta with 200k doesn't even use any oil between oil changes. Iv checked the kia over top to bottom there is no loss of oil on the outside of engine. I called kia where I got the car from trying to figure out what the dealer says it can use talked to some guy that had no clue what was going on kept telling me 5.1 qt had to keep telling him that I didn't need to know how much oil it holds. Anyways long story short got to talk to someone and they told me 1 qt per 1000 miles. What are you kidding me so up to 3 qts per 3000 miles I'm sorry but if your car uses that much oil there is a leak or something is not right inside the engine. If it keeps it up I'll be dropping it off at the vw dealer. I mean what about people that don't know about cars you get a new car you shouldn't even have to open the hood but to put washer fluid in

- Dan A., Osceola, US