8.0

$510

Most common solutions:

1. replace window regulator (29 reports)
  3. new window assembly (3 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Kia Optima:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Kia dealer.

Aug 282022

Optima EX 2.4L 4-cyl

One month after I paid $450 to have the rear passenger window regulator replaced (because both the car warranty and certified insurance warranty are expired), and 19 days after my driver's side window regulator failed on August, 10, 2022, the rear driver's side window regulator failed. My grandsons and I were going to take my car through the car wash. Pulled up to the window to pay and gave my grandson sitting in the back seat behind me gave the attendant my card. I couldn't give the attendant my card because MY window can't be put down as it's jimmied with wood sticks since the window regulator failed and the part is currently out of stock.

Once we pulled away from the window I went to put the window up before going through the car wash and it didn't budge. Had to back up, go back around to the attendant and tell her what happened. A guy came out, rolled up 4 of their brochures and stuck them in my window. After leaving there, my grandsons and I went to Walmart and got some wooden rulers to use instead of the brochures. I have now filled out THREE complaints on this site for the same car, THREE window regulator issues all in the span of FOUR weeks. I'm OVER IT!!!

So let's add this up... just assuming all THREE windows will cost approximately $450 each to repair... that's $1350 I'm going to have to pay out-of-pocket. What's next to go wrong with this car?? I saw there's a class action suit against Kia about this very problem. How do I get in on that??? Kia KNOWS this is an issue and I want to be reimbursed!!!

Aug 102022

Optima EX 2.4L 4-cyl

Ten days after I paid $450 to have the rear passenger window regulator replaced, my driver's side window regulator failed on August 10, 2022. Went to a fast food drive-thru and after getting my order I went to put the window up and it wouldn't budge. With the first window regulator failure, I learned from the dealer that both the car warranty and certified insurance warranty were expired, so I knew I had to find this part myself and pay out-of-pocket AGAIN to have this one fixed as well. Can't find the part anywhere. Every place I've called, including the dealer, have said it's on back order.

So for the past 3 weeks I've had wood sticks jimmied in my window to keep it up. I can't go to drive-thru restaurants, and when at the airport to buy a ticket to go see my mom who just had a stroke, I had to get out of my car, go to the window to hand the attendant my credit card, and pay for parking. How long is this part going to be out of stock??? How long am I going to have to drive not being able to put my driver's side window down??? SOOO inconvenient and feel like I'm driving a hoop-dee instead of a nice car with leather seats and panoramic sunroof.

Jul 222022

Optima EX 2.4L 4-cyl

At the end of July, 2022 I noticed the rear passenger window was down, so used the power button to put it back up and it wouldn't go up or down. Called the dealer where I bought it and they told me as of March 2022 my warranty was up and the repair would not be covered. It is a certified pre-owned car, so asked about that warranty coverage and was told that the window regulator replacement would be covered, however, that expired June 2021. Paid $450 to have it replaced.

Sep 192022

Optima EX 2.4L

The right rear window broke, then three weeks later the left rear broke.

- Jerald T., Suffolk, US

Sep 182022

Optima Limited 3.2L

I took my car in for a standard oil change and alignment on Saturday, 09/17. After the service was performed I was informed by a 3-party mechanic that the Driver's side window is now stuck in the down position and will not go back up. They told me that this is due to a malfunction in the regulator, which is a Kia only part that can they can not get until Monday. They get the part from Kia on Tuesday to the tune of $542, fix the window and I am out the door for $822.67.

This morning, Thursday, 09/22 on my drive into work the back Driver's side is slipping down WHILE I AM DRIVING! This is a serious issue that Kia NEEDS to address. Not only is it a safety issue but it makes the vehicles a target to be stolen. I guess I am now out another $800 for a piece of plastic that Kia deemed to be worth over $500. This is absolutely ridiculous and should fall on the shoulders of the manufacture.

- Laura H., Altamonte Springs, FL, US

Jul 152021

Optima EX 2.4L

1st it was my the back driver side window. It wouldn't go back up, taking almost 2 hours trying. Then 2 weeks later the back passenger side window wouldn't go back up. I did a price check on Ebay. It cost almost 200.00 for each side. You have to buy the whole regulator kit 🥴🥺😢

- Keshia P., Salem, US

Jun 222021

Optima Limited

ALL 4 WINDOWS STOPPED WORKING DURING THE YEAR AFTER MY WARRANTY ENDED!!! In 40 years of driving cars with power windows, I never had a single window stop working. The ONLY solution was to replace the entire window mechanism. The plastic gear is a design flaw and cannot be replaced alone, you have to replace the entire internal window mechanism!

Crap from Kia. It is dangerous knowing windows could stop working and trap you inside. It cost $450 EACH to repair from a third party but you can only use Kia parts. I replaced the front two. THERE SHOULD BE A VOLUNTARY RECALL BY KIA IF A LEGAL RECALL IS NOT DECLARED.

- Alan S., Longwood, US

Jul 022022

Optima T-ECO 1.6L Turbo

Both my left rear and right rear windows failed within about two weeks of each other. I ordered parts from Rock Auto for my mechanic to install. However, the parts that I got did not fit my car at all - be careful when ordering the window regulator and/or window motor assemblies... match the picture of the part to be purchased exactly to your existing part(s).

I believe that this failure, based on my current issue and MANY other similar window regulator-related complaints, warrants a recall. There is no reason on earth that both of my rear windows should have failed - they might have been used less than a total of 10 times since I bought the car brand new. I use this car as a commuter vehicle, with me as the only occupant 99.9% of the time. I only lower the front two windows and have never had an issue with those. What gives? Why would the rear windows fail when they are almost never used at all? They should be factory new... something is really wrong here.

- William B., Palm Bay, FL, US

Nov 042021

Optima SX Turbo

This is my 4th window regulator to fail on this vehicle, I am the original owner and hardly use my windows, luckily for me the driver's side occurred under 60,000 miles and thus they were covered under warranty - but 6 months later both windows on the passenger side failed and it's now costing me over a 1,000 bucks. This is a problem with this vehicle and should be considered a recall.

- Cindy R., Richmond, TX, US

Feb 012022

Optima LX V4

click to see larger images

window regulator failure

Furious over this issue of falling down windows. It's the worst Kia dealership ever... Daytona ( FL ).

Back window started falling down as I was driving, so I took the car in to the dealership and was told it would be $149 to assess the situation. I said there no need to assess anything! The friggin' windows are falling down DUHHHH. Then I came back days later and the other side ( back window ) was also sliding down. The solution the dealership had? Rip me off for $149 and brought the car back with duct tape on the windows. Yep, DUCT TAPE.

I was told it would be $900 for parts and I must pay up front or they wouldn't order them. $ weeks later I call and am given the run around about the parts. Another month passes and still no call from the dealership to update me. Finally I call California Kia headquarters and a week later I get a call and the parts are in. By this time all 4 windows are malfunctioning!! ALL FOUR. So if I get pulled over by police I have tinted windows ( live in Florida) and will not be able to roll down any window. And Police will likely pull a gun on me since they can't see and I'm not opening a window! If I'm at a stoplight someone can approach the car, see that the windows are duct taped and simply yank it open and rob or assault me.

I went to the service manager to complain and he turned his back on me. At this point I'm really angry and tell them I'm taking the complaint to the regional manager of Kia, they refuse to give me a name or contact mail. Suddenly the next day I get a call that they can replace the front window with a small plastic piece and will only cost me labor. Back windows were over $600 each.

Feel like they ripped me off and replaced the motor when all they had to do was replace the plastic part that was malfunctioning. I could hear the motor in the back windows hum when I pressed the down button.

This is an ongoing problem with Kia Optimas (esp. 2016's) and Kia needs to step up and reimburse me.

- Paula S., Ormond, US

Apr 162021

Optima EX

My back window regulator on the passenger side went out in April - I got that one fixed for $198.00. Then 5 months later my back door on the driver's side went out and then a month later the one that I had fixed is no longer working - and now the passenger side window doesn't work and all the motor does is make noise. This just doesn't make any damn sense to me - out of all the cars that I have had, I have never had any problems with the window regulator. I have 3 windows that don't work and I fear that my driver's window might go next.

I really like my car but who can I make a complaint to, because this is just ridiculous - this just doesn't make any sense. Kia is always emailing me that they want my car - with this s** I got going on, they can have it. But the problem is they want to give me something with house note payment but if I have to deal with this s** I don't want another Kia. I'm normally the one that's always bragging about how good a car Kia is but after this I don't think I will anymore and it's sad that Kia won't see this as a problem - they'll just blow it off and say they have never heard of this and no one never complained. I'm sure customers have been complaining about this problem - why hasn't there been a recall on the window regulators in these cars? Kia needs to listen to their customers and fix this problem.

- Shawndena H., Gretna, FL, US

Sep 212021

Optima V6e

Well, my 3rd Window has lost power. I've been riding around with two of my windows tapped up since NOVEMBER when my engine went out. I had to have my engine replaced but the loss of power I'm thinking caused my back windows to go out. Now my driver window just stopped working and will not roll up. I'm AM SO OVER THE KIA BRAND! #SingleMOM!

- Constance L., Opelika, US

Jan 022020

Optima

This is window number 4 that has needed a regulator. I have yet to receive a recall notice on this issue. There is definitely a problem. I will never buy another Kia - they are rude and once the sale is made, they don't give a damn. Recently I heard they do not hold their value and the their own salesman call them disposable cars. Never again, and this car was bought as a college graduation present for my granddaughter. You have also lost her as a customer for life - and at 22, she has many more cars in her future.

- Marcia G., High Springs, FL, US

Aug 112021

Optima EX 4 Cylinder

I have a 2016 Kia Optima that I have had for 3 years with very little problems. The first problem I had was that the antenna shark wing blew off. That was replaced by the dealer. Then the cruise control would not work. The mechanic said it would be $126.00 for the part plus the labor. Then sometime in August 2021, the right rear window would not go up. Took it to the mechanic and he told me it was the regulator. I stuffed cardboard between the window and door to keep the window up.

Get this... Then the drivers side window stopped working. Same problem, window regulator. I had it fixed $385.32. Now the passenger window regulator is bad also. ALL FOUR OF MY WINDOWS DO NOT WORK BECAUSE OF FAULTY WINDOW REGULATORS.

I am 80 years old and have probably owned 30 + cars in my life and have NEVER had a window regulator go bad. I contacted Kia Customer Relations and they told me to take it to the dealer and have them analyze what is going on. Today is October 20, 2021. I will keep you up to date as to what Kia will do for me. Any comments are appreciated.

- Earl S., Fort Lauderdale, FL, US

Oct 232021

Optima SXL 2.4L

Windows are falling down. 38000 miles on my 2016 Kia... This should be a recall. I definitely researched and there are a lot of people with the same problem! First one happens, then 2 months later another.

I took to my Kia dealer and had it fixed... And a week later the driver window went. Just waiting for the 4th one now... It's very inconvenient and an expensive problem to fix. I loved my kia until this... I wanted a K5. Not happy now... DO THE RIGHT THING KIA!

- baci3as, Lake Worth, US

Aug 212021

Optima LX 2.4L

Now I am pissed. I just got in the car today and now the driver side front window will not go up or down.

I am now four for four. This is crap, Kia. Two months ago I was singing the praises of Kia as I had never had a problem. Heck, I got my step son to buy 2 Kia's as I had never had an issue. Now I am down 4 window regulators and 2200 to get fixed.

This must have been a defective part and Kia should pay me back. To have all four window regulators go out within 35 days is simply a manufacturing flaw.

KIA have you issued a recall for these cars or are others having to pay 2200 to get them fixed? Simply not right.

Aug 042021

Optima LX 2.4L

Now the front right passager window has failed. I am holding it up with Duck Tape as it will be 3 weeks before i can get the car into the shop. It will cost another 550 to fix. (550+550+550 = 1650) This MUST be addressed Kia. At this rate I will spend 2200 to fix the windows. 3 of 4 have now failed.

Jul 282021

Optima LX 2.4L

Ok, this was the second window regulator to go out. This was about 2 weeks after the first one. This was the driver side rear passenger seat. One I understand, two is a huge pain in the ass. Now each of the back window regulators have gone out and cost 550 each to repair.

Jul 222021

Optima LX 2.4L

Ok, this is the first of 4 window regulators to go out. It was the right passenger seat. Not many people have ever been in the back of the car. About 84,000 miles. Cost 550 to fix.

Sep 022020

Optima LX 2.4L

4th window out of 4 that have had the regulator fail. The round white plastic part is all crumbled. The wires are messed up. I never misused any of the windows. The worst part is you can't just replace that small part, you have to replace the entire panel just to fix that one issue.

- Norma R., West Palm Beach, US