$5,200

Most common solutions:

2. new head gasket and cylinder replacement (1 reports)
  3. replaced with new engine (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Kia Sportage:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Kia dealer.

Jun 192022

Sportage FE 2.4L

click to see larger images

engine failure

We were driving home from vacation, and at the almost top of a mountain, I tried to give it gas, and it wouldn't accelerate, and the check engine light came on. It went off at the top as we coasted down, but would come on every time I touched the gas. We barely made it to the dealership to drop it off. It would sputter every time we had to stop or come to a near stop. After almost 2 weeks of them having it and a $900 diagnostic fee, the tell me that the exhaust valve on cylinder 2 has broken and destroyed the cylinder head and head gasket. They quoted $5,200 to fix, or "around $9,000" for a new engine.

- Marki M., Charleston, WV, US

Aug 202021

Sportage SX

2017 Kia Sportage SX Turbo with all the bells and whistles: Engine has always been a little funky, in that the transmission seemed to "slip" when accelerating quickly and the engine would roar, and not go. Then it would "catch" and pick back up to be the speed it should have been. Nearly cost me my life when I was going across an intersection and relied on getting across quickly.

However, three months ago, the engine started "sputtering." I took it to Kia dealer, and $200 later they switched out the spark plugs. This was at 92,000 miles. (Spark plugs had been replaced maybe a year earlier). THEN... yesterday at 96,000 miles, SPUTTERING STARTED AGAIN and CHECK ENGINE LIGHT and a warning display came on the touch screen monitor. Took it in to a repair place, and they said the cylinders were misfiring, that two of the four cylinders were "scored" and the ENGINE NEEDS TO BE REPLACED!!

Now it is sitting over at the Kia dealership for said REPLACEMENT. Car is going to be traded in for something that I rely on. And that's not a KIA. I thought it was cute and enjoyed it, but it has been a lemon since I bought it and I've put up with it until it FAILED.

- Laurin E., Chapel Hill, US

Sep 262020

Sportage

Was driving down the interstate and it started smoking and shut down... I'm very irritated.

- Sonja R., Antlers, OK, US

Feb 062021

Sportage EX 2.0L 4 cyl

Oil service tech found oil filter full of metal and anti-freeze.

- Craig S., New Albany, IN, US

Nov 152018

Sportage SX 2.4L I4

I was very satisfied with my 2017 Kia Sportage SX AWD when I drove it brand new off the dealer's lot back in Feb 2017. It was a joy to drive. Up until January 2018 I was teleworking 4 days a week and put very few miles on the vehicle. As of Jan 2018 I was teleworking 1 day a week. As of November 2018 I have about 14,500 miles on the vehicle.

I brought the vehicle into servicing at regularly scheduled intervals. I was due for service in Nov 2018 so I scheduled a service date for Nov 26. Unfortunately, the vehicle didn't make it to that date. Around Nov 15th the car started sputtering and a voice warning message was saying there is a problem with the engine and the engine light remained on. I was barely able to get the car home and into the garage. I was not able to start the car. I called a tow truck to arrange for a tow to the Kia dealer on Nov 20.

As of now the dealer has not been able to identify the problem. I was told by the dealer that they have a call to the Kia Tech line to speak to the engineers.

This problem sounds like the problem Kia and Hyundai had a few years ago that resulted in a major recall.

Update from Dec 3, 2018: The engine failure was caused by a defective spark plug that broke in the cylinder and damaged the engine. Kia will install a new engine under warranty.

- Genesio Z., BerthoudBerthoud, CO, US