8.0

$770

Most common solutions:

1. replaced rear hatch window (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Lincoln MKX:

Jan 192016

MKX V6

While driving to work this morning (temp -16 celsius with windchill) the rear hatch window on my 2014 Lincoln MKX exploded without cause!!! I heard a loud noise and looked in my rear view mirror to discover my rear window completely shattered and a large hole on the lower left side of the window itself. The interior heater was on at 21 degrees celsius and the rear defrost was NOT activated.

After gathering myself (it nearly caused me to go off the road) I immediately pulled over thinking a projectile of some kind must have hit the rear window however when I checked the interior of the vehicle there was no evidence of such that could explain the explosion. Upon closer inspection the window was still making loud cracking noises and glass could be seen inside the rear of the vehicle as well as a small amount all over the bumper. The perimeter of the window was absolutely shredded and pieces of glass were missing from the bottom and sides of the window itself. The remaining glass (which held in place although it completely shattered) was bubbled outward which adds weight to the evidence that the window had exploded without cause FROM THE INSIDE!

When I contacted the Ford Dealership where the vehicle was purchased to see if the damage was covered under warranty I was told it was not. I voiced my concern to them, having only purchased the vehicle less than 1 month prior with a full bumper to bumper warranty, and thankfully they conceded and agreed to pay for the damages. They were great to me, under the circumstances! However after doing some research on line I discovered that this has also been an issue with the Ford F150's and the Edge's. I also checked the Lincoln MKX recall list to see if this may have been a recall issue and discovered it is not. Thankfully I was not injured, albeit extremely frightened, however had I had small children in the vehicle at the time they could have easily been hurt by the glass pieces from the explosion.

I also contacted Ford Canada and expressed my concerns to the Client Service Manager (who was also excellent) and I plan to write a letter of concern to Lincoln Canada on the same issue. I am highly concerned that this is a design flaw and will continue to happen if not addressed in a timely manner by Ford Canada and Lincoln Canada.

BEWARE!!!! If you drive a 2014 Lincoln MKX be aware that you may experience this same inexplicable isse. thing!!!

- mkxlover, Edmonton, AB, Canada