9.2

$1,040

Most common solutions:

1. replace control arm (17 reports)
  3. replace control arms, spring, sway bar links and alignment (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Nissan Altima:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Nissan dealer.

Jun 142020

Altima SL 2.5L V4

control arm broke while driving

So to keep it pretty short, I was driving to work Sunday morning I made a right turn to get to the highway and for some reason my car started to fishtail from the rear. I didn't know what it was at first. I took it to a near by Pep Boys and they showed me that my rear lower left control arm is broken. I was baffled because I didn't hit no potholes and my car is barely over 76,000 miles.

- Jose H., NEW YORK, NY, US

Jun 042020

Altima S 2.5L

control arm broke while driving control arm broke while driving

The lower control arm rusted out broke off. Of course it was at night in the middle of know where. Nissan said price of living in New York State who use too much road salt. With the CVT troubles I guess this is going to the scarp yard.

- Michael X., Hornell, NY, US

Nov 012019

Altima Sedan

control arm broke while driving control arm broke while driving

I was leaving work at 2am. I hear this noise, I pull over out of middle of road to see what it could be. It was dark, I didn't see much. As I was driving my rear lower control arm snaps! Had to sit and wait on insurance and service, then tow truck. Call dealer they tell me issue with a lot owners. Wait and see what's going to happen with recall. I see online this has happened to a lot people. I'm frustrated because I have no car. They are telling me I need to fix. This isn't my fault. Terrible service!

I do not have money to repair. Why Nissan can not fix. This is terrible..luckily I didn't get hurt!

- Twanna S., Sycamore, IL, US

Oct 032019

Altima LS 2.5L

• CVT transmission

Was driving about 30 MPH on a road near home when rear begin to fishtail, thought it was a flat tire. Inspection revealed to suspension had collapsed. Hired a tow truck to take it to a near garage. Lost use for almost a week. Research revealed that this is an acute problem with this year and type of car. I will be seeking reimbursement for repairs.

- Wayne S., Deerfield, NH, US

Sep 062019

Altima

Control arm broke about two weeks ago. They also said the other side is going to do the same thing. Think this is crazy that they don't have a recall on this.

- Tabitha G., Nesbit, MS, US

Aug 202019

Altima SL

The control arm broke while I was doing 55 mph on a major highway with a lot of traffic. I was in the left lane of a three lane highway and when it broke my car pulled right so hard I could not straighten my car and drifted quickly to the right and was able to pull over an area where another highway was merging (NOT SAFE). If another car had been to my right or behind me when this part broke it would have caused a serious accident. It was not only the control arm that broke. In total due to the control arm breaking I had to have my car towed, the lower control arms replaced, which meant I needed the control arm hardware, stabilizer links, gas charged shocks, an alignment and my steering angle sensor set.

The auto shop made me aware that they have had many Altimas come in with this same problem and they were surprised it was not recalled yet. I have been a faithful Nissan car buyer but this recent incident has caused me to reconsider, especially since it seems the maker is aware of this issue and has not done anything to resolve it. If my infant son had been in the car with me I would have been beyond upset about this and would likely never go back to a Nissan vehicle.

- Brandi Y., Ballston Lake, US

Aug 272019

Altima SV 4 2.5L

Me and my daughter are lucky we weren't hurt. I was travelling down a hill and heard this loud bang on the right side of the car. Luckily I was able to bring the car back into my lane and slow down and got off the road. I had the car towed 115 kilometers to my mechanic. The rear right was completely broken off and the left side was cracked. I had to have both replaced at a cost of $ 2,031.74.

Really annoyed at Nissan because there is no recall even though there has been 374,000 reports that have been documented

Update from Aug 30, 2019: They were the lower control arms. Both sides.

- Gary H., Dundas, ON, Canada

Jun 292019

Altima SL V6

click to see larger images

control arm broke while driving control arm broke while driving control arm broke while driving control arm broke while driving control arm broke while driving

HAD THE CAR 2 YRS BOUGHT IT USED FROM DEALER, HAD A CARFAX ALL CLEAN. DRIVING DOWN THE ROAD ONE DAY AND THE REAR WHEEL ALMOST CAME OFF! IT WAS BENT AT AN ANGLE. HAD IT TOWED TO A SHOP AND THEY SAID THE WHEEL WAS ABOUT TO BREAK OFF AND THAT THE WHOLE REAR SUBFRAME WAS RUSTED OUT ON BOTH SIDES. THE OTHER SIDE WAS ABOUT TO DO THE SAME THING! I LIVE IN AN AREA THAT IS NOT FLOOD PRONE AT ALL AND PARK IN MY DRIVEWAY. THIS IS GOING TO COST ME BAD! HOW COULD THE CARFAX SAY IT WAS CLEAN,YET AFTER OWNING THE CAR FOR ONLY 2 YRS IT COULD BE ALL RUSTED OUT? I'M GONNA BE IN THE HOLE FOR THOUSANDS!

Update from Jul 29, 2019: correction the conrol arms failed at 89,000 miles.

- Lenore V., Cherry Hill, NJ, US

Oct 022018

Altima SV 4 cyl

control arm broke while driving control arm broke while driving

My wife and I were getting ready to drive to Savannah, GA from NJ the night this happened. My wife was traveling on a major NJ highway when suddenly and without warning the driver side rear control arm snapped at the weld point due to excessive rust and corrosion. Thankfully she was able to gain control of the car and did not hit anyone and no one hit her. She was able to pull into a rest stop and compose herself. She called me and I was ready to call a tow truck but somehow she managed to drive it to our mechanic some 10+ miles away.

When I met her at our mechanic we immediately saw the left read wheel well sunken very low over the tire and saw the tire was at approx. 10-15 degree angle. Our mechanic placed it on the lift and immediately saw the broken control arm. His words were how she wasn't in an accident and was able to drive it to him was a miracle.

I am just thankful my wife was not killed however just 3 months early the car was at our local Nissan dealership where I always take it for oil change and maintenance. I feel that this type of issue should have been caught by them via their "Complimentary Multi-point Inspection" in the section of Under Vehicle specifically Rear shocks/Suspension it was checked off as PASS along with the rear subframe also marked as PASS.

We tried calling corporate Nissan, they blew me off and told me to go to the dealership, my wife just went to the dealership and spoke to the service manager, he blew her off and said, "Not much I can do". ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!? She could have been killed and this is their response?? You are going to tell me in 3 months the rear control arm rusted and corroded that much that NO ONE saw during the last "inspection". Yes I live near the ocean and I know all about salt air, etc, etc But I personally blame two things, the Brines that they now put on the highways in the winter along with the salt from the snow storms but also a crappy weld job because again my mechanic pointed it out, the control arm snapped right at the weld spot.

This is now the 3rd welding issue diagnosed with my car but Nissan sees nothing wrong with this. I not done with my complaint on this. I plan on complaining to the NHTSA, the local BBB, local news if I have to, anyone that will listen. I will not be ignored or dismissed and my voice will be heard. Someone should have caught this and suggested service on it instead of now blaming my wife that when this occurred why didn't we bring it to the dealership to be fixed. Are you kidding me?? Something like that happens and you are just happy to be alive not, "Oh, maybe I should get my car to the dealership now" instead of, "OH MY GOD!!! I'M JUST GLAD I AM ALIVE".

I find it appauling and disgusting that Nissan feels like this is not an issue and that they can just ignore it and it will go away. They need to be responsible for the vehicles that they put on the road.

- Michael C., Leonardo, NJ, US

May 182019

Altima

Suspension control arm broke off, luckily while backing up in the Driveway - The mechanic ended up replacing both - because I told them to check both - When I went to pick up the mechanic showed me the two control arms and pointed out the crack that was beginning on the other one...

I've had older vehicles than this. The mechanic indicated that they would be certainly looking out for it!

This could have been a lot worse!

- James P., Orangeville, ON, Canada

Apr 282019

Altima LS 3.5L

click to see larger images

2013 Altima SUCKS!!! I've owned the car for less than 2 years - it's a 6 year old car with a single previous owner, always lived in a garage, well maintained, etc. I was driving home ON THE FREEWAY one morning and suddenly my steering wheel yanked out of my hands, swerved to the right, and locked up. I could barely keep the car in the lane and had to drive like a video game, constantly shaking the steering wheel back and forth. I tried to make it one more exit, but couldn't safely so I pulled over.

Going 60+ mph and losing control of your car is not a fun feeling. Thankfully I was driving right behind my parents, so they turned around and came back to help me. When we first looked at the car on the side of the exit ramp, we could not determine what the problem was. Only had to test drive it ~20 feet before we realized the drivers rear wheel nearly fell off. Driver of the first truck that came (needed a flat bed but they sent a tow) looked underneath the car and saw the control arm had snapped and broken off due to rust.

Sure enough in the shop, my mechanic found that BOTH SIDES had completely rusted and both had to be replaced to safely drive the car. And Nissan continues to claim there is no problem and that this issue is entirely caused by road salt in snowy areas - this is complete BS. This problem is 100% due to a faulty design of the control arm that allows water to pool on top and not drain - the water sits on the control arm in a divet and the metal rusts away, unnoticed unless you know to look for completely rusted garbage parts on a 6 year old car.

Fortunately, my mechanic cleverly fixed the problem on the replacement control arms by welding a plate on top to prevent water collection and future rust. Nissan is complete garbage and is unethical and dishonest with its customers. I was a loyal customer but NEVER AGAIN!

- Elizabeth D., Cleveland, OH, US

May 172019

Altima 2.5L

Driving home on interstate 81 in moderate traffic going 72 mph when all of a sudden my car is swerving all over the road; I thought another car had hit me. Got it under control and off the side of the road; didn't see anything out of order, so thought I'd limp it home. Nope. As soon as I pulled off the shoulder, the car yanked me back on the side of the road and almost hit the guard rail. Called for a tow. Pretty obvious when he drove onto the roll back that the rear tire and wheel was the problem. Control arm broken. Shop called today and said it was rusted badly and broke. Said he was surprised the car was only 6 years old - usually a problem with older models.

Said the dealer has part in stock because it's a common problem. Recall????????????????????????????

Better have them checked out on your Altima - it's a wild ride when it breaks going 72 mph......

- Lon S., Marathon, NY, US

Mar 142019

Altima SV 2.5L

• CVT transmission

REAR CONTROL ARM $235.00/each. REMOVE & REPLACE KNUCKLE AXLE CARRIER - BOTH SIDES $230.40/each side

Ended up spending $1100 but this is dangerous. Nissan should do a recall

- Ch R., Tolland, CT, US

Mar 072019

Altima

MY CONTROL ARM ON THE REAR PASSENGER SIDE BROKE 5 MONTHS AGO. NOW THE SAME THING ON THE DRIVER SIDE REAR. VERY DANGEROUS SITUATION, AS THE WHEEL COULD TOTALLY FALL OFF. THANKFULLY I WAS ABLE TO DRIVE STRAIGHT AND SLOW TO REPAIR. VERY UPSET WITH THIS AND NOW FEELING THAT NISSAN CARS ARE NOT RELIABLE AT ALL.

- Sue S., Syracuse, NY, US

Mar 202019

Altima S

Just happened!!! Had no idea. Turn corner, heard clunk. Then wavy, sloppy driving. Pulled over safely. (Thank goodness) and looked at left rear tire. It was all catty-wompass (technical term) Control arm broken. Now waiting for tow. Grrrr! Now what?

- Mark J., Westville, IN, US

Jan 162019

Altima SV 4 cyl

• CVT transmission

Wife came home from work and said that her car was all over the road and hard to control. I took a look at it and found that the left rear lower control arm had broken, letting the wheel move forward and back. Towed to a local garage to inspect since the car has 61000 miles and is just out of warranty. The mechanic put the car up on the rack to inspect and not only was the left side rusted out, but the right side was about the same it just hadn't broke yet. There was an earlier model Altima on the rack next to mine and the rear control arms were made from aluminum not sheet metal. This repair cost 1800 dollars. I have lost what little confidence I had with this brand. You would think for $26K you could get a little more than 60 thousand miles or six years use out of it.

- moplinger, Norton, US

Mar 012019

Altima S 2.5L

control arm broke while driving

Terrible car. First I had to replace the transmission. Now the lower control arms broke while driving. Very dangerous!

- Bill C., Delmar, NY, US

Mar 082019

Altima 2.5S 2.5L 4 cyl

control arm broke while driving control arm broke while driving

Driving about 60mph yesterday when BOTH rear lower control arms snapped. The rear end suddenly kicked out to the driver's side and I thought I was going to roll the car. Somehow managed to straighten it out and get it off to the side of the road. Had it towed to a local shop who said that the breaks in the arms were clean, with good metal in the center, so the parts weren't corroded through. Tech said this was at least the 5th time he'd seen this issue with this model year. Nissan doesn't trust the word of non-Nissan employees so I now have to have it towed to the dealership....which doesn't have service hours on Sunday. Looked up the issue and it's apparently very common, but no recall yet. Thanks, Nissan.

- cusewick, Liverpool, US

Feb 152019

Altima V6

Was driving on a city street in Milwaukee, WI when without warning, I lost control of the ability to stear the car in a straight line. Thankfully, I was on a city street and able to pull over. I am not sure what would have happened on the expressway at high speed. Left rear tire was cocked at an angle.

- Don W., Delafield, US

Mar 022019

Altima SV 2.5L

• CVT transmission

Driving down the road going approximately 45mph my car suddenly drifted to the left hard. I thought I had hit a patch of ice but then noticed that the back of my car kept swaying and my steering wheel was cocked to the right a lot. Also my traction control light was on and not turning off. I knew something was wrong so I pulled over and looked st my car.

The back left side was very low and the left wheel looked like it was coming off as it was positioned in a weird angle. Luckily I was only 15 minutes from home and was able to call a friend of mine who is a Dr Mechanic (my nickname for him because he knows his sh*t) . He took one look and said it’s my control arm and refused to let me drive the car anywhere else.

So my car is now sitting at his house waiting to for the parts to come in and get fixed. This was a very dangerous situation. I’m thankful that I not anyone else was injured when it broke. It could have been very bad as I was on my way to pick up friends in Milwaukee from Racine and I was close to getting on the freeway and heading to Green Bay.

- Sheryl L., Racine, WI, US