7.6

$610

Most common solutions:

2. press emergency release button (8 reports)
  3. replace shifter assembly (5 reports)
  4. dealer fixed gear shift for free. god is good! (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Nissan Altima:

Feb 012022

• CVT transmission

Shift stuck in park. I brought it to the mechanic and it will cost $1000.00 to fix - I can only get part from Nissan which is stupid and the whole shift assembly needs to be replaced just for the shift solenoid. Horrible customer service on Nissan's part since this is an ongoing problem. I am just using a mini screwdriver to shift out of park for now until Nissan decides to do something for their cheap part.

- Tracie G., Breaux Bridge, US

Nov 292019

Altima 3.5 V6

I am beyond upset. I have had this car for only 3 years and just barely made it over 100K and now the gear keeps getting stuck in park. Called the dealership and they acting as if this is the first they have heard of this issue. Clearly I am not the only person that has been having this issue.

$1000 fix to replace.

- Jeanna M., York, SC, US

Aug 142019

• CVT transmission

I am very disappointed that Nissan didn’t issue a recall on this issue. I am still making payments and I have to use a screwdriver to put my car in drive... real classy, Nissan.

- Dawn C., Pompano Beach, US

Oct 122019

Altima SV 2.5L

All of a sudden the autoshift stick got stuck in parking. I have to press emergency release switch next to the stick to release the lock. This happens every time I put it into a parking position.

- Syed Intikhab A. R., Springfield, VA, US

Dec 222019

Altima SV 2.5L

• CVT transmission

Worst car ever! Stay stay stay clear away from Nissan. After 65k my shifter module unit needed to be replaced. Shifter was stuck in park and had to use a pen to shift into other gears. I also couldn’t use my heated seats.

Dealership stated it wasn’t under warranty because I had spilled soda and it was considered negligence on my part. Contacted Nissan Motors and they refused to help me at all. Finally took it to another dealership and they replaced the part for free.

- Daniel Anthony P., glendora, CA, US

Sep 212020

Altima SL 2.5L

The gearshift suddenly failed to move from "park" into "reverse" this week... without prior issues of any kind. I was able to release the locked gear shift by pushing the shift unlock button and drive the car to the repair shop. The locked gearshift also sent faulty messages to the truck release button, as it failed to open as well.

The replacement part (gearshift assembly) was over $600 dollars and is available ONLY from Nissan, there is no aftermarket part available. Nissan is aware of this issue, yet has not issued a recall. The repair shop has had to replace this part on numerous Nissans.

My 2013 Nissan Altima SL 2.5L had only 26,380 miles on it when this part failed.

With the number of complaints with this specific issue, you'd think Nissan would step up, address the issue and make the corrections without charge.

- Tina B., Lecanto, US

Oct 202020

Altima 2.5SL 4

Car won’t move out of park. Gear shift seems frozen and I can’t drive the vehicle.

- Duane P., Ventura, US

Feb 252017

Altima S

• CVT transmission

So many people with this problem yet Nissan does nothing to help its customers. Never ever again will I purchase a Nissan or recommend one. Awful awful car.

- Melanie D., Bullhead City, AZ, US

Feb 292020

Altima SV 3.5L

• CVT transmission

I feel that this should be a recall & should not have to be paid for out of pocket & if it's 1 of the issues the dealership told me, it's about $800. I'm VERY DISAPPOINTED & on top of that my windshield is leaking every time it rains under the carpet & it was NOT in any kind of accident or anything... I thought after they replaced the motor after I got it, that it was going to be fine, little issues @ different times...

- cblove, Raeford, US

May 102019

Altima SV 2.5v

Cannot shift the gear from Park. Stuck there like 8 out of 10 times.

- Peter F., Santa Clara, CA, US

Nov 052018

Altima

So when I purchased my car 2 years ago it was well under 60k miles. I am not just over 65k miles. Suddenly I put my car in park in a drive thru and couldn't get it out. Found the manual way and parked it at home. I bought a warranty with my car that was bumper to bumper which we were told included electronics now I am being told its going to cost me 346.00 to fix it because its not covered!! WTF Not to mention I have seen this car with this problem online EVERYWHERE and mostly under or around 60-70k miles..why are we paying for this and why is a recall not been issued to fix it...I'm livid!!

- Chloe J., Topeka, KS, US

Feb 212019

Altima S 2.5L

My 2013 nissan altima has given me NOTHING.... NOTHING but trouble. I've already had the transmission replaced at 66,000 miles. my clutch is stuck in park so now they tell me my shift assembly needs to be replaced $750 and theirs more......

- Tina A., High Point, NC, US

Dec 172018

Altima S 2.5L

SINCE EXPERIENCING BEING STRANDED OUT IN THE RAIN WITH MY NISSAN RUNNING BUT STUCK IN PARK, I HAVE RESEARCHED ON THE INTERNET. THIS SEEMS TO BE A COMMON PROBLEM CAUSED BY NISSAN ORIGINALLY INSTALLING A CHEAP PLASTIC PIECE. NISSAN HAS PAID FOR THIS REPAIR IN THE PAST FOR SOME OWNERS, BUT NOT FOR ALL. THERE SHOULD BE A NISSAN RECALL FOR THIS COMMON ISSUE WITHOUT REPAIR EXPENSE TO OWNER..

- Diane M., COLLEGE PARK, GA, US

Nov 012018

Altima SL 2.5L 4 cyl

• CVT transmission

I have had several problem with this car. Purchased new in April 2013. Have kept it serviced thru dealership since purchase. I am currently having to use a screwdriver to get it to shift out of park. Very inconvenient every day. Dealer says at least $500 + to fix it. You cannot find the part thru a parts store or in a salvage yard. This is an ongoing problem with this model and make. So many complaints that it should be a recall as I've spent a fortune on this car in the last 5 years. Why can't Nissan just step up to the plate ant admit it has it's faults and take care of them.

This was my first and last Nissan. I actually love the car but I hate it as well. I've read all the complaints listed here and I've experienced all of them with a couple of exceptions only I can add more complaints that I've had since I first purchased it new. Under warranty it was in and out of the service department and I will say this. . . Almost everything it was put in for was never fixed and even to this day I still experience the same issues. If I could have gotten a decent trade in I would have done so. I paid $31,000 for this car. It came with all the bells and buttons most the SL models don't have. It came with all the problems as well. I'm stuck with it because it's not worth trading. Looks can be deceiving. It's a beautiful car. I wish I could list all of my complaints on this one part as I just don't have the patience or the time to go into detail nor does this website have the space for me to list them all.

- stilsunshine, Little Rock, US

Oct 012018

Altima S

I guess I am like everyone else........why isn't there a recall on this problem. I will never buy another Nissan again.

- nissan13, Prattville, US

Aug 152018

Altima 2.5S

• CVT transmission

My car started having issues after 50K. My car gear shift was stuck in park due to faulty Nissan part. Dealer was asking $900 to fix the issue. Nissan also did not help with this as vehicle was out of warranty. Lot of customers are having same issue but Nissan has not recalled for this part. Will never buy Nissan again.

- Ish C., San Jose, CA, US

Jul 152018

Altima SL 2.5L

I have never had any problems with the Altima until the gear shift lock started to act weird. I am just unable to move the shift gear from Park. For now, I use a screwdriver in order to press down the Shift Lock button to bypass the lock so I could change the gears. It sucks to do that every time it happens.

What makes the problem worst is it happens sporadically, like 6 out of 10 times so when I go to a mechanic, it may not act up and thus it is very unpredictable. It usually works fine when I don't use car for a day or two. But then, it starts acting up again. The brakes light and dome light work without out any issue.

The Nissan dealer wants $168 just to diagnose it and another $800 to replace the entire shift lock assembly if that is the problem.

- Polks M., San Francisco, US

Jan 012018

• CVT transmission

Shifter would not shift from Park despite brake being depressed at around 60,000 miles. Took vehicle in to the dealer and was told that the only way to fix it was to replace the entire assembly. Out the door, cost around $750 dollars after parts and labor. Fortunately I was able to continue driving the vehicle while the gear shifter stopped working by using the emergency release, this must be done every time the vehicle is started and to shift.

- nicholan21, Tucson, AZ, US

Jan 022018

Altima

Called corporate in Massachusetts, I think, and they said our dealer would charge $100 to diagnose the problem. Well we've already called them and over the phone they diagnosed it as a $750 fix. They have magical powers, I guess, or a crystal ball that can diagnose this problem without looking at it. I'm betting it's a fuse, a cheap fix, but I know nothing about fuses other than what I've read online about this Nissan fix.

RECALL!! We've already been to the dealership three times on various recalls for this car. Why not another?

- Gud .., Los Angeles, CA, US

Aug 012017

Altima SV 4 cyl

• CVT transmission

Bought my Altima brand new. Not even paid off and the gear shift has "worn out". I have NEVER heard of a gear shift wearing out! It just goes from Park to Reverse to Drive to Park a couple times a day, how does it wear out after just a couple years? The dealership I bought it from would not comp the part for me and I refuse to pay for it as it appears Nissan has used a cheap part. This is my family's 3rd Nissan and LAST! I have to use a bobby pin every time I use my car to get it in gear with the emergency brake release. What a great car, NOT. Would never recommend a Nissan

- Lindsay B., Greenville, US