Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Nissan Sentra:

May 202020

Sentra

Driving down the freeway then all of a sudden my car lost 90% of power and could only go about 25mph. There was no warning. Car jerks violently steering becomes harder. You try to punch down on the gas and nothing happens. Also was forced to take city streets due to not being able to go a safe speed to stay on freeway/highway.

- Redlands, CA, USA

Jul 122020

Sentra

When approaching a red light and stopping quickly, the car completely stopped even though I was going 10 miles per hour at 1000 RPM, traction control light, oil light, battery light and seat belt light all turned on. The only way to get the car to move was to turn it off and turn it back on. This happened a second time while returning to our home. As I was getting off the interstate and stopping for another vehicle, the same thing happened again. It seems to do this with a hard stop at 1000 rmp or 10-20 mph.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Oct 142019

Sentra

2012 Nissan Sentra was bought 3 weeks prior with no problems. While traveling 60 - 70 mph on a highway the car suddenly stop running and the power steering went out and the vehicle was unable to steer out of the troubled area on the highway. The vehicle broke down in the middle of a highway. After research it seem to be the same actions that has happened to thousands of other Nissan Sentra. The defected cvt transmission causes this to happen. Luckily my son was not killed during a accident that was caused after he was rear ended and the vehicle was totaled.

- Orange Park, FL, USA

Sep 012019

Sentra

Number 3 cylinder low compression with only 83K miles on the vehicle. Rough engine driving and check engine light on. Codes P0300 and P0303 displayed. This kind of engine failure shouldn't happen with such low mileage

- Littlestown, PA, USA

Nov 012018

Sentra

My check engine light triggered and I brought the car to my local Nissan shop. The car had been running rough, loosing power, and burning oil. The mechanic told me I needed new spark plugs and a new boot. After agreeing to pay the $500, I received a phone call from the shop. The mechanic explained that the problem was not fixed, that actually I needed to replace the entire engine. After the $500 in work had been done, the mechanic performed a compression test. The test indicated a bad engine. So the work was done on a bad engine. The car had about 100,000 miles on it and has always had proper maintenance. So why is it bad already" and why was I mislead to pay $500 on a bad engine" this is not right. Please let me know if you need more information. Thank you for your time.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Aug 122019

Sentra

While driving on the highway, the car will stop responding to the gas pedal and lose power. You will either have to pull over or maintain a much slower speed. This becomes a hazard and can cause an accident.

- Spring Hill, FL, USA

Jul 042019

Sentra

When driving on the highway in my 2012 Nissan Sentra it sometimes deaccelerates gradually to the point where you can't go past 60 mph and when trying to accelerate it is sluggish

- Macomb, MI, USA

Apr 262019

Sentra

The car turns off when stopped like at a red light or stop sign. Battery was replaced by the dealership a week ago. Alternator was checked and is good. I have to turn the key to the off position and start it again.

- Manassas Park, VA, USA

Dec 012018

Sentra

The contact owns a 2012 Nissan Sentra. While driving various speeds, the vehicle jerked and stalled. Additionally, there was an abnormal whistling noise emerging from the vehicle. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who stated that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was taken to Nissan of norwich (691 w thames St, norwich, ct 06360, (860) 892-6000) where it was diagnosed that the belt needed to be replaced and there was metal in the transmission, which needed to be repaired. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and provided case number: 35185453. The manufacturer stated that they would assist with sixty percent of the repair costs. The failure mileage was 57,000.

- New Haven, CT, USA

Mar 012019

Sentra

I am having issues with the transmission. It appears that the engine is not changing gears automatically. Or it could be a problem with the fuel injection of the vehicle. Also there is a problem with the airbags deployment system.

- Galt, CA, USA

Jun 202018

Sentra

I have a 2012 Sentra that I bought in 2014. I started to experience random loss of power on highway, and RPM would up at random times, like it was stuck in gear. Last yr I discovered that my cvt transmission was going bad and already had to replace the transmission (bought used). Less than a yeat later, im starting to experience the same problem. Nissan needs to extend the warranty thru the 2012 mdels, on any cvt transmission to 10 yrs. Very aggrivating considering I'm still making payments! I would never recommend this vehicle to anyone.

- Olathe, KS, USA

Jun 302012

The temperature reading goes up to 3/4

- San Diego, CA, USA

Aug 252018

Sentra

Car stalls for no reason when stop at light or stop sign

- Paisley, FL, USA

Jun 012018

Sentra

My Nissan Sentra has 85,000 miles on it and my transmission is completely broken. The cvt transmission they put in my car has an extended warranty in it for known problems with it. I was driving with my two small children on a very busy highway when it stopped moving and I had to pull over and restart it. When I restarted the vehicle T again would not move. I finally got it to move to where I got to a mechanic and they told me my transmission was completely broken. I took it to Nissan and they are not going to help my fix it 100% fully knowing that the cvt transmission they put in the car has problems. I spoke with Nissan customer affairs and they told me that because my car is out of their warranty there is nothing they can do to help me when this is not my fault. They keep producing cars that have this transmission in it and keep having to replace it except for my car. I have two small children that I need a car for. I have a loan out for the car that now I have to pay for that does not work! I can not afford to fix the transmission that Nissan put in that is known to fault out!

- West Milford, NJ, USA

Nov 162017

Sentra

While driving on the highway to go to work, the transmission went out. When I tried to accelerate, the car would rev but wouldn't go faster. Luckily, I was able to slow down enough, put on my hazards and stop without being hit by oncoming traffic. Had a cop not been nearby when it happened, I could have been. I had to wait in the middle of the highway for an emergency assistance response man to come and push my car to the side of the highway. Then, to add insult to injury, I had to wait 5 and a half hours for a tow truck to come and take my car to a shop.

- Kent, WA, USA

Aug 052017

Sentra

After a 1.5-2 hour drive on the highway, my car would not accelerate beyond 60 mph. It drove fine after getting home and getting some rest. No lights came on this first. Similar event happened a couple weeks later - much shorter drive approx. 20 minutes, slower speeds, but main inclines. All lights (check engine, oil, emergency brake, battery) came on and the car would no accelerate at all. I pulled over and turned the car off then back on again and it was completely fine.

- Medway, MA, USA

Jun 172017

Sentra

Engine stopped working with no warning while at a stop light on a city street, restarted after 5-10 minutes going back & forth through the gears back to drive. Temperature 115 on this day in las vegas, Nevada

- Henderson, NV, USA

Jul 052017

Sentra

Ses light threw code 0420 indicating that both O2 sensors need replacing. I bought the parts and took to a shop to replace. Shop had trouble reaching the upstream sensor and was worried it might be threaded and suggested I take to the dealer to replace. The dealer said the port was indeed threaded upon removal of sensor, and the only fix was to replace the exhaust manifold. Seems like quite a design flaw that replacing a $70 sensor causes the need for a $1000 manifold. Manifold isn't broken, only the O2 sensor port is threaded so therefore a new sensor can't be put in, necessitating the entire replacement of the manifold.

- South Bend, IN, USA

May 052017

Sentra

I have owned this car for 2 years. Every year, as it starts to warm up in the spring, the same problem recurs. I have had it to several repair shops, only to be told that it cannot be fixed. As I am driving on the freeway, it will suddenly start to decelerate, and I must pull off the road and let the car sit, turned off, for 20-40 minutes. Last week, the check engine light came on, and when I took it back to the dealer, they want $3000 to fix the car. This has been a problem since the first summer after I bought it.

- Pocatello, ID, USA

Feb 242017

Sentra

The issue first started last summer. I had a car full of 4 teenagers and we were heading out of town and the engine began a loud whistle sounds and then the gas pedal quit working - we limped off the highway after almost getting hit and got a tow truck and rental car. The mechanic had us pay for a whole new motor. We thought the issue was fixed. Then a couple months later I again had 4 teenagers in my car heading out of town and the whistle noise started about an hour into the trip. Then it got louder. Then the car would decelerate going uphill. Then, as we got to the next exit, the gas pedal stopped working completely. We again almost died, barely made it to the gas station and realized there was an auto zone next door. So we went and had the codes read as the check engine light had just popped on...when I turned the car back on, everything worked fine but it had sat for 30 minutes. Research led us to the cvt issues with an extended warranty that had passed. We tried a transmission cooling device and did not drive the car over an hour. But this past week I tried again with 2 teenagers in my car...one hour in to a trip, it happened again. This is not ok for a car transmission to decelerate and put my children and my life at risk.

- Spring Hill, TN, USA