Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Ram 1500:

Jul 272022

1500

I was driving on interstate and my vehicle was running fine. Without any warning, my check engine light came on and "Service ETC" flashed. Vehicle went into limp mode and would not go over 10 miles an hour. Had it towed to dealer, a gasket on the EGR was bad, had been leaking oil into my turbo for "quite some time" according to the dodge dealership. My turbo was blown and manifold melted. This is a diesel and I only had 108,000 miles on it. Always have done the maintenance. The cost of the repair was $11,971.62. There is no reason why this vehicle should have been fine one second and have a catastrophic failure the next. I am aware of the class action lawsuit for models up to 2016 and my truck is a 2017. I believe that this is the same problem. It was 10:00 pm when this happened on the highway. I am very fortunate that I was able to get off of the highway and not be involved in a serious accident at night.

- Perry, FL, USA

Jul 182022

1500

My Engine light turned on and vehicle kept overheating. Coolant levels we-€™re getting very high. Coolant was not cycling through the engine properly & needs new head gasket. The dealership I took it too said they have 5 other trucks with the same issue

- New Baltimore, MI, USA

Jun 072021

1500

See first uploaded file. File #2 has additional information regarding problem that can become a safety issue.

- Valrico, FL, USA

Jul 162022

1500

On Saturday, July 16th, I was passing a vehicle at approximately 65mph on a two lane road with no shoulder when my engine stalled. Fortunately I was on a straight stretch of the road and was able to coast to a safe location to attempt to restart my engine. After I stopped, I attempted numerous times to restart my engine without success. This stall caused me to be on the side of the road with no shoulder partially sticking out into the roadway. I eventually had to be towed to my mechanic. Once at my mechanic, he found two recalls that had similar symptoms concerning Dodge RAM Ecodiesels- recall W58 and W68 along with TSB 14-007-21. I contacted RAM and was informed that my VIN number was not included in this recall and that they would not fix my vehicle under this recall without me paying in full and their mechanic verifying what was wrong. They were also backlogged and could not even diagnose the issue for 5-8 business days. I elected to have my mechanic perform the work. Once my mechanic opened the transmission assembly, he found that the tone wheel in fact had lost a piece of the magnetic material just like the photo in the service bulletin. He had to repair all the components of the tone wheel and crank sensor assembly just as the service bulleton said to get the vehicle to run again. I have contacted RAM and they stated there is nothing they can do since there is not an open recall on my VIN number even though my truck matches the model and engine type along with affected years from the recall. My VIN should be included in this recall because this incident matches perfectly what the recall states. I have all the paperwork and the actual tone wheel if that is necessary. I am simply trying to get RAM to pay for what they should be obligated to fix on a known problem. They stated that NHTSA is the organization that recalls vehicles and maybe my VIN would be included at some point- of course I know they just don't want to pay for the repair using this as an excuse.

- Needville, TX, USA

Jul 102022

1500

On start up makes a ticking noise. Upon further investigation noticed broken studs on exhaust manifold bolts. This causes an exhaust leak which may lead to possible fire.

- Ridgecrest , CA, USA

May 252022

1500

The contact owns a 2017 Ram 1500. The contact stated that while driving at an undisclosed speed, the vehicle lost motive power. The vehicle was not able to restart. The dealer was made aware of the failure; however, the vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle previously had the throttle position sensor, fuel system, water pump, and engine replaced at the dealer. The failure mileage was approximately 168,000.

- Ivanhoe, TX, USA

May 132022

1500

Exhaust manifolds warp leading to broken mounting bolts/ studs resulting in exhaust leak/ ticking

- Southampton, NY, USA

Feb 202022

1500

Engine blew up with no warning indicators on the dash. Engine oil was full and from what the dealer found it was a bearing either the crankshaft or rod. I've been without my truck for over 2 months and fiat chrysler doesn't know when a motor will be available.

- Chisago City, MN, USA

Mar 142022

1500

Two right rear exhaust manifold bolts broke causing a potential exhaust leak into the cabin.

- Alexandria Bay, NY, USA

Jul 072020

1500

There is a known problem with the 5.7l hemi engines having the exhaust manifold bolts break. This happened to me where the manifold separated from the engine and caused untreated exhaust gases to escape into the engine bay. These gases were then being sucked into the cabin through hvac system due to the close proximity of the cabin air intake vent and the gases escaping in the engine bay and seeping from underneath the hood when at low speed or idling with the hvac system on.

- Southampton, MA, USA

Feb 252022

1500

It-€™s the oil filter housing it-€™s made out of plastic and the heat of the engine cause the seals to leak oil mechanic said to upgrade it with an aluminum housing instead

- Compton , CA, USA

Aug 012021

1500

When the engine was started a ticking sound is heard, this has been happening for approximately 6 months. The ticking would go away after the engine was run for approximately 10 minutes. The truck now has 82639 miles on it and the ticking had gotten worse. I took the truck to the dealer, Dallas Dodge they reported that several of the exhaust bolts/studs have broken (confirmed 6) and the gaskets and the bolts needed to be replaced. My concern with this issue is with an exhaust leak I am worried that this could allow carbon monoxide into the vehicle.

- Sachse, TX, USA

Jan 252022

1500

Chrysler (RAM) truck 2017 3.6 pentstar enjine 3.6L Oil Filter Housing Leak - vehicle has 50 k miles on it. vehicle oil has pumped out of the engine due to this faulty oil filter housing.

- Grantsburg, WI, USA

Dec 112021

1500

Air bag light comes on from time to time wiggle some wires under the seat and light goes away, so I think it disables the airbags cause it says they need to be serviced, also engine knocks when start up the. Goes into a little knock after warm up, continues through driving all day some days worst then ever, weather it be fresh oil or 509 mike's down the rd, to 2000 miles down the rd, I think it's a manufacturer error

- Blaine, WA, USA

Jul 282021

1500

While driving on fwy engine just turn off at 65mph and started again?

- Alamo, CA, USA

Aug 162021

1500

3 bolts holding DPF and SCR together are known to fail and cause issues to the DEF wiring harness. All three bolts have failed on my truck which could cause the exhaust to fall apart while driving. The problem has not been reproduced or confirmed by a dealer or independent center. The vehicle has not been inspected by anyone. The "check engine light" displayed and shortly there after a message popped up that vehicle would not restart in 200 miles. Still waiting to hear back from 1 of 4 dealerships about this issue and have since opened a case with FCA/RAM and have not heard from them either. Truck has not been drivable for 4 days now.

- Menasha, WI, USA

Dec 112021

- Blaine, WA, USA

Jul 282021

1500

While driving on fwy engine just turn off at 65mph and started again?

- Alamo, CA, USA

Aug 162021

- Menasha, WI, USA

Feb 012021

1500

The bolts that hold the exhaust manifold to the engine are breaking leading to a loud "tick" and exhaust gasses being released in the engine compartment. Exhaust leaks can be dangerous while the vehicle is occupied especially when idling. This has been an ongoing issue with the HEMI engine in RAM trucks as evidenced by multiple NHTSA complaints spanning over a decade. Ram has yet to correct the issue and continues to produce vehicles with the same problem. Mechanics talk about it being common, many forums are filled with complaints and websites are dedicated to the issue. My particular truck was inspected by the dealership and I was told it was "a common occurrence with those engines". I'm fine with having to pay the $500 repair bill to correct it, but I feel it should be a recall due to the commonality of the problem and the possibility of a driver or passenger being exposed to exhaust gasses not being properly routed to the rear of the truck. Why are they allowed to keep rolling a known problem off of the assembly line? Maybe this explains headaches after a long drive.

- Cherryville, NC, USA