7.5

$130

Most common solutions:

1. jump start (26 reports)
  3. replace battery (8 reports)
  4. new battery (4 reports)
  5. installed all led light bulbs and a stronger battery (1 reports)
  6. new alternator (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Subaru Outback:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Subaru dealer.

Aug 162021

Outback Limited 3.2L V6

I have now bought two new batteries for my 2017 Subaru Outback. The first time I bought a new was about 1.5 years after I bought it. At that point, I did not know about the battery problem, so I bought a new one from Les Schwab and they took the original battery. This was out of pocket at $180. One year later the same problem happened. I never got a warning sign that the battery was low or actually shot. I had to get a new battery from Les Schwab. This time it was under warranty, but it is not right that they have to take the cost on this.

The dealership was not willing to give me a new battery due to the original was not there anymore!!!!!! That is not RIGHT!!! I did not know about this problem when I bought a new battery, so I did not save the old one. It looks like I will have to buy a new battery every year and hoping I am not up in the mountains without cell connection when the battery dies again!

- venka, Chelan, US

Sep 102016

Outback SW LIN 3.6L R-V6

Had to get the car jumped a number of times and this delayed travel. Finally I took it in and they said the battery had to be changed and did so and charged me. The problem was still there and the said I needed to change the battery again and they did as it was still under warranty. I still have the problem and something is draining the battery siting in the garage. I have been keeping the keys to the car covered in Al foil because I think the FOB is talking to the car and draining the battery. The second battery has failed too.

- William B., Morrison, CO, US

Sep 242022

JUST NEED MY MONEY BACK.

- Hubert S., Valdosta, GA, US

Jan 212022

Outback ES 3.2L

6 Months after purchasing the vehicle (used), the battery died while on vacation. Had to purchase a new battery.

1 year later same issue. Had to purchase a new battery.

And on January 2022, the same issue - I had to purchase a new battery.

- Jim B., Lexington, US

Nov 012021

Outback Premium 2.5L I

Dead Battery, Can't hold a charge... I called local Subaru dealer, they say they will test battery. I asked about any battery complaints/recalls. They said no. I said there are many complaint on the interest and even some legal actions against Subaru connected to Electrical and Battery issues... she at the service department responder by saying "there's a lot of misinformation on the interest." Ugh! Electrical issues?

- Michael J., Eureka, CA, US

May 022022

Outback

Bought the car brand new in 2017 in Texas. Moved to North Carolina in 2018. This is the third time this has happened. We replaced the battery after the first time and the second time we thought it was a bad battery and got it replaced again.

- Ricky R., Pinehurst, US

Apr 302019

Outback Touring 3.6r

Returned from trip and the damn battery was dead in airport parking. Subaru has known of the battery issues and should have issued a recall.

Dec 302021

Outback Touring 3.6r

Ugh. I need a reliable car. Car dead and the Midland dealer had to saw off the terminal base on my battery. Three months later and my car is dead in the middle of nowhere west Texas.

Mar 212022

Outback Touring 3.6r

2017 Subaru Outback and I’m on my 4th battery and I have spent more than $500. The last battery lasted 3 months and my car died on the highway. Subaru needs to fix this parasitic drain.

Jan 172022

Outback ES 2.5L

• CVT transmission

The battery is constantly discharging and the vehicle requires a jump start. This issue has happened in both warm and cold months of the year.

- gwyther33, Asheville, US

Aug 222018

Outback Limited 2.5i

Second time we have had the battery drain while camping thing happened while camping, despite the fact that we did not use lights (including dome lights) or other radio (etc) at all. The car was parked for 3 days with no lights or radio used, but with power tailgate opened at times for access to camping equipment. We see from internet that a design flaw results in battery drain when the tailgate is open, even though there is no dome light on. Apparently Subaru (and its dealers) refuse to acknowledge the issue, and there is a class action suit underway.

Aug 222017

Outback Limited 2.5i

Battery drained while camping 3 nights in a remote location, even though no lights (including interior dome lights) or other accessories (e.g., radio) were used. We did have the power tailgate open at times, which we now understand is badly designed to drain the battery. Dealer (and Subaru corp) did not provide adequate explanation for why a battery would drain (especially when only 3 months old). Same thing happened while camping a year later, after which we insisted (requiring considerable argument) on a larger battery. But same thing (drained battery, despite no use of aux elect) just happened on another 3-day camping trip this past week. (In all 3 cases, car was parked for 2-3 days with no lights or radio used, but with power tailgate opened at times for access to camping equipment.)

Jul 252020

Outback Limited 2.5i

This is the third (!) time this has happened, and we just learned that the tailgate being open (even when dome light is not on) is likely the problem, because the dealer (and Subaru corp) have not provided adequate explanation for why a battery would drain under the conditions we have experienced. Apparently a class action suit is underway.

Jan 082022

• CVT transmission

We are experiencing consistent battery drain if we don't drive our car for 2+ days. We've replaced the battery 3+ times and have jumped it numerous times in-between each battery replacement. It's independent of outside temperature and the only factor is if the car sits for 2 days. We've been experiencing this for about 2 years with increasing frustration, with the latest leaving me stranded in an airport parking lot late at night.

- ryan_suzy, Neenah, US

Oct 162021

Outback Touring 2.5L Four cyl

• CVT transmission

Bought a 2017 Subaru Outback new in October 2016. I'm currently on the third battery, and had to get the main electrical fuse replaced because something is draining the batteries to uselessness, but the dealer only looks for the simplest of answers. I only have 24,000 miles on the car that I've owned NEW since retirement.

After owning Subarus for the past 25 years I'm done! I had better luck with my 2003 Subaru Outback with the blown head gasket. I've had cars sit idle for months that have started upon demand. Subaru is making garbage, foisting them upon consumers, and then refuses to listen because of arrogance. Hope they go the way of Daewoo! Expensive trash!!

- Dan B., Sequim, WA, US

Sep 262021

Outback Stanard 2.5L

Vehicles failed to start after idling for 30 minutes. Replaced own battery on 9/26/2021 vehicle ran find until 12/9/2021 with the same problem. Turn key and vehicle cranked but will not start.

- John S., Leominster, MA, US

Oct 202021

Outback Limited 3.6L

Car was off and tailgate was opened for about 10 minutes and the battery went dead. This is probably the seventh time in one year that the battery has gone dead. We have had the battery replaced. It didn't matter. The same problem recurs and the dealer claims "maybe you had the key close to the car". Yeah, and maybe aliens drained the battery. Or, how about the obvious?

There is a parasitic drain on the Subaru battery due to an electrical system design flaw that will allow the battery to quickly run down when the vehicle is off but electrical systems are in use. We've been stranded multiple times due to this "feature" and the dealer refuses to acknowledge the design issue to avoid massive recalls. Instead they are just slowly destroying their brand reputation due to poor design, but perhaps worse, not having the integrity to own up to the flaws.

- Andy M., Davidson, NC, US

May 052017

Outback Limited 2.5L

• CVT transmission

Several days after I bought my Outback from a dealer, the battery died for no apparent reason. Then it died if I inadvertently left on an interior light. Then it died if I left the tailgate open too long. I was ready to return the vehicle. I started to carry around a battery jumper which saved me several times, and then had the idea to replace all interior light bulbs with very low wattage LEDs, plus the next time I went in for service the dealer replaced the battery with a more high-power one with many more cranking amps (under warranty). It's been almost 3 years now and thankfully I haven't had a dead battery since.

Update from Jun 20, 2022: Update: It's been 5 years and the more powerful battery that the dealer installed (under warranty) has not failed me. No more dead battery issues. Suggestion: Replace all your interior light bulbs with LED lights. Much less battery drain.

- Frank L., Oak Park, CA, US

Jan 062020

Outback LTD 2.4L, 4

Dead battery after 30 min of listening to the radio, after 30 min of an open rear trunk door, after 3 days sitting on driveway, etc. I thought it's a weak (3 yo) battery, brought it to Advanced Autoparts - they tested and told me that the battery is absolutely OK. For a while I have to have a jump battery with me. Not a good solution for my trips to the mountains, hiking.

- Sergey K., Greensboro, NC, US

Feb 012021

Outback 3.2L V6

Beginning in December 2020, when the car was 4 yrs old, the battery started getting drained. After 2 incidents, we assumed the battery had gone bad and we replaced it. We continued to have issues with the car slow starting, or the battery being dead after a few days of sitting in our garage. We initially assumed there was a light on or the hatch had been left open.

In late Feb and again on March 8 we noticed that when we went into the garage at night the car would have some sort of fan or pump running. I started the car and then shut it down and the noise stopped. Then on March 29, the battery was completely dead again. I took it to Subaru and they told me that it was a command module that needed to be replaced because it was draining the battery. However, the command modules were backordered and we could not get the repair completed. They also wanted to charge me $100 for diagnostics.

- rdlcda, Coeur D'Alene, US