Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2018 Toyota RAV4:

Apr 302021

RAV4

Car was on cruise control, due to a car in front, it was driving 10 mile below the cruise control speed. A new car came in between my car and the previous car in front, my car started speeding up suddenly. I hit the break and canceled cruise control immediately to prevent crash. This has happened at least 6 times do far. Only seem to happen rarely when some new object comes in between.

- Plymouth, MN, USA

Nov 032020

RAV4

While in reverse with foot on brake (stopped) the vehicle was rear ended. While foot still on brake the vehicle had uncommanded forward acceleration (engine revved up like foot floored the gas pedal). Vehicle accelerated forward ~25 ft and hit the front of another vehicle (foot on brake pedal entire time). Upon impact, the vehicle had uncommanded acceleration in reverse (foot on brake pedal still). Was able to turn of ignition and pull the emergency brake to stop the vehicle after moving ~25ft in reverse. At final stop, the vehicle's transmission lever was in the drive position. Note: Tow truck driver started vehicle to go in reverse a few feet for positioning. With engine running, vehicle was put in reverse and gas pedal pressed gently. Vehicle went in reverse (< 2mph) as it should. Foot applied to brake and vehicle put in park in one motion. Vehicle in park and foot on brake the engine began to rev up again. Key was turn off. Vehicle towed.

- Broomall, PA, USA

Sep 082020

RAV4

Car is failing to speed up past 60 unless using cruise control then the car used a lot more gas then normal. I also tried to pass a car to get up to highway speed and was unable to, very dangerous on the highway. Then the car would not go past 40 I tried to switch from eco to sport to normal thinking that maybe the computer was confused but that did nothing. So after trying to speed up multiple times I got a hybrid malfunction light and told to pull over. This has happened to me in the past as well. Toyota dealer was unable to diagnose any issues with it and just reset the computer.

- Lubbock, TX, USA

Jul 032020

RAV4

On 7/3/20 at about 3 pm edt I was preparing to turn left and exit my neighborhood. I was stopped. I pressed on the accelerator and the vehicle suddenly accelerated straight ahead at a high rate of speed. I was unable to stop the vehicle. I travelled about 100 to 150 feet, climbed an enbankment and landed in a small wooded ravine. I was attempting to exit my neighborhood onto a paved road.

- Wilmington, NC, USA

Jun 052020

RAV4

Pulled into driveway and had foot on break. Going very slow to park. Went to put car into park and car lunged forward and hit garage. Backed up and car went very fast so had to move forward again out of road. Put car into drive and cat surged forward and out of control. Able to avoid garage but car went beside garage, and into slight drop off. I was able to stop car by flooring break and putting into park. Called police they made report, called roadside service and towed to downeast Toyota in brewer Maine. It's now going to have information pulled and researched to determine what happened. No pictures. A lot of damage to front and maybe underneath. Car went over a cement block.

- Old Town, ME, USA

Jun 112020

RAV4 4-cyl

My 2018 Toyota Rav4 has 13,000 miles. Driving at 20 mph on a one-lane secondary road when vehicle speed increased on its own. Stepping on foot brake had no effect. Acceleration was constant and non-stop. About 30 seconds later, car slowed as though my foot had been removed from the accelerator. The problem was - my foot had been constantly on the brake pedal. This uncontrolled acceleration has happened only once but I only drove it to get home. Note: Floor mats were properly anchored.

- Norwood, MA, USA

Nov 282019

RAV4

In three separate occasions since purchase January 16th, 2018, the adaptive cruise control has lost track of an SUV in front of me and continued to accelerate. Driver had to intervene. First instance was a brown Pontiac aztec in clear weather daytime. Second occurrence was a blue Chevy encore in clear weather daytime. Third occurrence was a black escalade in clear weather at night. Vehicle cruise control was set to 70-80 mph with the closest distance setting.

- West. Bloomfield, MI, USA

Jan 312018

RAV4

Same problem I had with the 2014 Rav4 is now happening with the 2018 Rav4 starting from a stop at a traffic light or making a turn the car fails to move for moment as if you did not step on the gas and I am now afraid to make turns unless at a traffic light.

- Naples, FL, USA

Feb 012019

RAV4

If you drift away from another vehicle or obstacle (pedestrian, bicycle, etc) that is also drifting into your lane, the lda system (lane departure assist, which is touted as a safety feature) will pull you back towards the obstacle you are trying to avoid. Clearly this is a safety hazard and should be removed as a "feature" from the vehicle. Toyota should also stop calling this a safety feature. Secondly, the radar assisted cruise control will start braking if it sees the vehicle in front is slowing down. However, if the system then thinks an accident is imminent, the crash warning shows up and the cruise controlled braking is then disabled causing the vehicle to stop the braking process, and thereby causing a safety hazard since the car will now coast into the obstacle. Again, this is a surprising and terrible implementation of this system that should be removed or fixed.

- Middletwon, CT, USA

Jan 262019

RAV4

Vehicle was in a parking space; foot on brake. Went to shift the vehicle into park and it accelerated into the glass / building I was parked in front of. Air bags did not deploy.

- Islip Terrace, NY, USA

Sep 242018

RAV4

Toyota rav 4 accelerates on it's own while driving I brought it back to dealership and I was told that the computer shows that it didn't accelerate on it's own. It has happened two more times the latest was today Sept 24. I am afraid for my safety and the safety of my family and other driver because once it took me thr a red light a D today I almost hit a tree.

- Huntington Station, NY, USA