Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2019 Volkswagen Jetta:

Feb 112020

Jetta

Car makes grinding noise when going between 20-40mph, every car I test drove made this noise so I assumed it was normal. Not as loud in the sport mode but noticable in eco mode more. My car has 4000 miles on it. VW says it is a normal sound. Also breaks squeal very loudly when backing up, again they say normal.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Feb 082020

Jetta

I previously filed a complaint, complaint number 11306864, with reference to my 2019 Volkswagen gti autobahn, manual transmission, purchased as new on January 17, 2020, with reference to low-speed engine stalling. I have since discovered that my vehicle was reported to the NHTSA as repaired by VW service action code 24 fd, published on December 6, 2019. However, low speed stalling intermittently continues as I have experienced three further instances of it over the last ten days since I reported this troublesome behavior. In other word VW service action code 24D apparently has not rectified the problem. Thank you. Daniel rutenberg

- Tampa, FL, USA

Feb 032020

Jetta

When the vehicle is accelerating in either normal or eco mode, when it approached 28mph and shifts gears the engine makes a scraping/grinding sound. This happens consistently in the same driving session when accelerating with this gear change. This will happen on highways under rapid acceleration or on local streets under light acceleration. This is a great cause for concern as the sound could distract the driver and represent damage overtime to the engine.

- Mountain View, CA, USA

Jan 122020

Jetta

The vehicle has a high pitched whine coming from the engine area under acceleration. Dealer can not find issue and fix. VW has sent engineer out twice so far.

- Liverpool, NY, USA

Dec 022019

Jetta

I have had a Volkswagen Jetta 2019 for 3 months and I have noticed a grinding sound coming from the engine. It starts the noise at 30-40mph at 1000-3000rpms, it's louder in eco mode but can still be heard in drive mode vary faintly but still noticeable. I looked it up and found out a lot of people already know about it so I decided to take it to the dealership, told them about the noise, 9 hours later I receive a call from the dealership to tell me it was normal. That the noise was part of the turbo they called it żturbochargedż. IżM no scientist but I know what a turbo sounds like and they donżT sound like that. I just want this problem fixed or a new car because I know for a fact that it going to cause bigger problem that might not be covered by the warranty.

- Oxnard, CA, USA

Nov 182019

Jetta

Grinding noise from transmission when travelling at 30-40 mph. Sound is loudest in eco mode. Having the same issue that many others have stated online with the 2019 Jetta, and it sounds like VW is aware of this problem but say it's normal since all of the 2019 Jettas are doing this.

- Minooka, IL, USA

Jan 012020

Jetta

The vehicle is a 6-speed manual transmission. The vehicle will stall out when coming to a stop. Not user error, since the stalling happens when the car is in neutral - coasting to a stop. Stall out is very soft - akin to just shutting off the engine. This happens nearly every stop after running the car for about 15 minutes. This phenomenon is repeatable and extremely unsafe.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Nov 092019

Jetta

I was waiting for a parking space and was placing the car in reverse to give more room for the person to back up and the car would not move. I put the car in drive and again the car would not move. I placed the car in park then back in reverse and the car would not move. I again put the car in park, turned the engine off, restarted the car put the car in reverse and the car went in reverse..this happened to me twice. The other incident was I was reversing out of a parking spot and the vehicle brakes jammed on..I checked for vehicles/people prior to backing up and there were no vehicles/pedestrians present but the brakes engaged anyway. The second time this occurred I was traveling at 40 mph and the brakes jammed on again for no apparent reason. I called the dealership and they said they had heard about this "phantom" braking" but didn't know why and as far as the vehicle not moving, just shutting down they said that they received an email saying that there is an issue with the computer chip and I am still waiting to hear the outcome.

- Venice, FL, USA

Dec 162019

Jetta

I recently started a lease for a 2019 Jetta SE. I started to notice a strange sound like scrapping and grinding as the car accelerated and particularly around the 20-30 mph mark. It is almost like a shallow howling and seemingly from the transmission. Please also note that I brought the car new about 25 miles on it and the noise started almost instantly. The VW dealership I went to gave no good resolution and informed me that the noise was 'normal' of this transmission. A noise coming from the transmission of a new car should never be taken as 'normal'. I have enjoyed driving the 2017 model the last 3 prior years and am very disappointed with this response and the way the vehicle is functioning. I hope VW does the right thing with either a proper fix or a recall. I am very concerned about the longevity of this issue and what it means safety wise now and down the line.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Dec 022019

Jetta

Engine burning through over a quart of oil before 10K oil changes.

- Guyton, GA, USA

Nov 302019

Jetta

Car is brand new with less than 1000 miles driven and has either a vibration or grinding sound coming from in the engine compartment. IżM sitting at the dealership and Iżve been told by the dealer that VW is aware of the issue and they think it's the turbo but there is no fix is available yet. It sounds like loose/bad bearings or a bad pulley rattling. It happens when it shifts through the gears while taking off from a standstill under light acceleration and at a low RPM. It occurs every time between 20-35 mph. It is easy to replicate.

- Richardson, TX, USA

Feb 022019

Jetta

Everytime I accelerate past 40km my vehicle makes a loud grinding sound somewhere in the engine. I can be on any terrain and in any driving mode and it still does it. I have been to 2 dealers and neither will accept responsibily to fix it. This has been an ongoing issue since then second I bought it in February 2019.

- St.George, CA, USA

Nov 052019

Jetta

I purchased a 2019 VW Jetta SE automatic with 38 miles on October 11, 2019 one month later as I was driving in traffic on the freeway to working heard and felt a grinding, sounding like it carne from the engine. I didn't want to jump to conclusions so I continued driving but it sounds a bit louder so I took it to the dealer and they told me 4 days later the sound is normal. I'm not comfortable though. I read up on this and there's a class action suit for similar issue. Now I'm afraid for my safety. I traded in my Chevy Tahoe and that was a great vehicle. I have a warranty and I just want it fixed. Feels like I'm getting the brush off.

- Norwalk, CA, USA

Oct 072019

Jetta

The wipers screech when operating headlights are not aligned properly wrong gear is displayed on the instrument cluster sometimes slight metal grinding noise when the clutch is depressed (can only he heard from the outside). Engine has soft hissing noise and shakes a little when the running cold (can be only heard from outside). The dealership has failed to acknowledge this. Car shakes when reversing with gas.

- Columbia, MD, USA

Nov 212019

Jetta

Vehicle will stall at times when coming to complete stop, or when coasting in neutral, with clutch pedal depressed. VW dealer reset ECU adaptations. Issue still remains.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Oct 092019

Jetta

2019 Jetta gli with less than 500 miles equipped with the dsg (automatic) transmission - engine stalls out as soon as the speed of the vehicle reaches 0mph - whether on the highway (bumper to bumper traffic), stopped at red lights, stopped at stop signs, or changing gear to reverse in parking lot or street to get in driveway. The stalling happens regardless of the "auto stop start" feature being disabled or enabled, and happens approximately once every three or more complete stops but usually not for the first 3 when the car is first turned on. The car also makes an audible grinding sound when engine stalls. In all instances once the car has stalled it requires a manual restart by putting the vehicle back in park, and pressing the vehicle start button with brake depressed. In addition to the above stalling, the car has once turned off when started remotely and no passengers inside. I have approached the vehicle approximately 30 seconds after remote start was engaged, opened the truck, loaded a few items, and car turned off. A check engine light came on. Using a vag505 scanner I was able to find 01-engine fault code 15080 and 08-auto HVAC fault code 1048838. Videos of the aforementioned issues have been uploaded to youtube and can be made available via request.

- Miami, FL, USA

Oct 252019

Jetta

Car randomly shuts stalls. I've had the car 6 days and it's done it four times. Three when stopped or going 5mph or less on highwayy off ramps. Once when going about 20mph in traffic. The car is a manual and all times the clutch was fully depressed.

- Homewood, IL, USA

Oct 222019

Jetta

2019 Jetta S with 1.4L engine and 8 speed automatic transmission, grinding noise when shifting from 4th to 5th under light load. Noise is audible in all drive modes but especially in eco or normal drive modes. Dealer said it was normal operation of the torque converter and that no further service was needed. This noise does not sound safe or healthy for the car or for the occupants within the car. Volkswagen needs to recall and fix these faulty torque converters before they damage cars or hurt someone.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Oct 192019

Jetta

On 10/18//19 I purchased a Volkswagen Jetta S. the next day I started hearing a grinding noise at acceleration speeds of approximately 20-35 mph. In 10/21/2019 I took the Jetta to royal automotive in birmingham al. And after inspecting the car the mechanic (jamey mcelroy) informed me this was a normal sound and was related to the air intake. The scope of work said they did not hear the noise and I made them change the wording as jamey said they did hear the noise. I felt they were covering up the truth by making the paperwork say the noise didnżT exist. Please hold Volkswagen accountable and make them fix this problem. I have read several other Jetta owners complaints with the same problem and Volkswagen is turning a blind eye to any repairs. Thank you in advance for your help!

- Hoover, AL, USA

Oct 062019

Jetta

When vehicle reaches 30-40mph, there is a loud rattle sound on the driver side of the vehicle. Sounds as if pipes are loose under the hood or under the car. The rattle sound happens during acceleration randomly at any speed. The sound is reduced when in sport mode and does not make rattle from 0 to 30-40mph, but does make the rattle sound during acceleration. During my research I've noticed there are a ton of my same model vehicle that are having the same issue. I took the car to the dealer two weeks after my purchase to have if checked out, the mechanic brushed me off and said it was normal. My brand new car should not should like pipes are loose and rattle during acceleration. Its really embarrassing and I hope this does not cause a safety issue in the future.

- Dallas, TX, USA