Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Volkswagen Routan:

Jul 022020

Routan

My drivers side back seat door will not close all the way and will open back up if it does not latch correctly. The engine wiring will make my cars dash lights all come on and make the wipers go off. The door only does this while stationary however, the dash lights go off while in motion on a regular street going less than 40mph

- Desplaines, IL, USA

Apr 042020

Routan

While driving car it turns off. Has to be restarted. Faulty ingnition switch. Noticed a past recall.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Mar 022020

Routan

There are two issues that keep occurring that may or may not be related. First, sometimes when I start the vehicle every single light on the dash will be lit up, the wipers will be on, the radio won't work, and none of the gauges will be working. I have to use my gps just to know what my speed is since the spedometer doesn't work. I also can't turn on my defrost when this happens so I'm stuck sitting in the parking lot waiting. Eventually it will randomly switch back to normal and then everything works. My second issue is that I will lose all power while driving. This happened in a roundabout once which almost caused a crash! I lose ignition, power steering, everything. I have to get to the side of the road, put it in park, and turn the ignition off and back on again. One of these days this is going to cause a crash and then I will be suing Volkswagen when my babies get injured because of this. From the looks of the other complaints this is happening to a lot of these vans!

- Weston, WI, USA

Feb 122020

Routan

I take my VW Routan to finish the recall.becaused my door open when I was driving from Georgia to Florida with my 2 daughter in the back seat and driver rear slide door open at 70 miles.. VW dealer talk me no have the parts but they fixed and when I take to different dealer they talk me they ready did the recall and replaced the harness.. Thursday my wife driving and has the same problem door open when she driving.. take the mini van to shop and they talk me dealer never did the recall... I alway have the mini van and no one touch dear before...

- Tampa, FL, USA

Sep 012019

Routan

There are so many complaints for the same thing yet VW refuses to admit it is a problem. My electrical will shut off completely. I will normally loose anything electrical, throttle, sometimes power steering. Then the electrical comes back on and all the lights on the dashboard cluster come on. It will continually do this, even when you are on the freeway. They are going to continue to deny this until somebody is killed or severely injured due to this malfunction. I bought my 2009 VW Routan used and the service department is dodging replacing the tpim/ignition switch, probably because it is expensive. VW should also take responsibility for this since it is hazardous to drive. Please if you are reading this and have a VW Routan with this issue, make a report and bring this to light.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Nov 152019

Routan

We purchased this used in February 2019 and have since experienced numerous issues with the radio, backup camera, and dvd player not working. Recently the car now just shuts off while driving down a mountain road, power steering freezes and brakes are very limited which was very scary. It happened earlier in the year when pulling out of a parking lot and leaving the driveway and I thought that the issue was behind us and our mechanic couldn't replicate it. When I called the dealership they didn't know anything about it and weren't aware of any recalls. As of today I contacted VW and they said that our van ignition switch was previously repaired as part of the recall and it is now outside of the warranty period. I understand that the warranty can't last forever, but this is now occurring frequently 4 more times in the last few days, normally just after starting the vehicle and driving taking off for the first time. It restarts when put in park, but the starting process cranks more than usual. Depending on the situation it is merely an annoyance or extremely dangerous and there is no warning, just turns off and the steering stiffness is the first indication. The van is now parked as it is not safe for my family to drive.

- Jones, MI, USA

Aug 112011

Routan

Even after rebuilding the entire transmission, every time the vehicle is placed into reverse, there is a pause, then a jarring as it slips into R gear; but every time acceleration is attempted in R, there is a delay, followed by consistent lag; if attempting to R up an incline, if speed is not already over a specific minimum, vehicle then assumes action as if it is in N. even an incline slope of simply backing into a driveway, if vehicle is not entirely across the incline, it's not possible to continue controlling a reverse movement, though engine responds as though in N. this has been an ongoing issue; that has persisted even after rebuilding the transmission. Another issue that began several years ago; is that the door's locking mechanisms for several of the doors, no longer operate properly. Locking via key fob, or door panel, does not actually engage the door to lock. Nor does unlocking the doors via key fob, or door panels.

- Moorestown, NJ, USA

Oct 012019

Routan

Tipm box needs to be replaced, VW dealership says it is faulty and has glitches that need to be repaired but it exceeds my warranty. I purchased this van 3 weeks ago and the radio will go out or stay on, the wipers will come on by themselves and the tire pressure light will come on.

- Burlington, NC, USA

Oct 122019

Routan

I just purchased the 2009 Volkswagen Routan. I have had it 3 weeks it randomly died when test driving the van and all the alarms and lights came on. We just thought I didn't have the fob in right. Then it started to randomly not start, even the remote start will not work. The lights, radio, alarm, windows and door locks work like they normally should. Usually if I wait like 20 minutes and keep trying the key (taking it out of the ignition and reinserting it) until it starts. The check engine light came on for 7 days. Thursday 10/10/2019 nothing worked let it sit overnight and still nothing tried to jump it and it finally started. Took to place I purchased jd byrider in janesville, wi and they believe it was the starter because it was not turning and it was replaced on 10/11/2019. Then 2 hours later the car again would not start again. The dealer came to rescue me and we tried the actual key and at first it didn't work, we pushed the gas and it as as the gas pedal got stuck for about 30 seconds but started. Then driving down route 26 from johnson creek, wi to janesville, wi, it was making squeaking noises from the engine. We could hear it through the heating vents. Then the tire pressure warning light came on and it kept dinging. When I got to janesville, I checked the tire pressure on all the tires and it was fine. Because I live in rockford, il, I drove down I90 and the car at times started shaking like it was going died. Again, today it won't start not even with an actual key. Also, the driver side passenger door lock is not working and had to have a part ordered. The vehicle has 129,000 miles.

- Rockford, IL, USA

Apr 212019

Routan

Vehicle will intermittently not start even after multiple try's. vehicle shuts off during driving events city and highway. ABS lights come on and stay on. Interior lights come on automatically during driving. Have had the vehicle to a VW dealer 4 times for this issue and they cannot diagnoses, nor remedy the issue. I have spent well over $2,000 for these VW dealer visits. This vehicle was built by Chrysler for VW and Chrysler issued a recall on the tipm for the Chrysler vehicles. VW refuses to issue a recall for the tipm. This is a major safety issue that causes the vehicle to shut off during driving and all power and braking functions are lost. At this time, I have no choice but to pay an additional $1,500 to have VW replace the tipm in the hopes that it resolves this dangerous safety issue and keeps my family safe. NHTSA must investigate this issue with Chrysler and realize that it applies to VW Routan vehicles built by them as well, and force VW to recall the vehicles and fix the issue at their cost and provide full reimbursement to all Routan owners who have this same safety issue. What actions are NHTSA taking on this critical safety issue?

- Lancaster, PA, USA

Jul 122019

Routan

The contact owns a 2009 Volkswagen Routan. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V194000 (electrical system). The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair as the recall notice was received over a year ago. Volkswagen lee's summit (2225 ne independence ave, lee's summit, mo 64064, (816) 282-0022) was contacted and confirmed that the parts were not available for the recall remedy; however, an appointment was scheduled to have the vehicle diagnosed. The manufacturer was contacted several times and was unable to confirm when the parts were to become available. While driving various speeds, the vehicle seized and all the warning indicators illuminated. After several hours, the vehicle resumed normal operation when it was restarted. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed the vehicle and stated that the alternator needed to be replaced. The alternator was replaced for the second time by the independent mechanic. The failure mileage was approximately 129,631. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Blue Springs, MO, USA

Feb 172019

Routan

When IżM driving all the lights will turn on on the dash board then turn off and my windshield wipers will turn in the process when all the lights turn on while IżM driving the van will say IżM going 0 miles per hour

- Camp Lejeune, NC, USA

Nov 102018

Routan

For several months in 2018 our 2009 Volkswagen Routan would not start, windows would not work correctly, etc. On November 10th, 2018, our 2009 Volkswagen Routan was stationary and would not start at all. Called a tow truck to have it taken to the nearest dealership. Tow truck driver messed with the vehicle and was able to start it and we drove it to the dealership. The dealership received our vehicle on 11/10/18. The dealership notified us that there is an open recall on the "win module" and they would contact Volkswagen for the replacement parts. The dealership did not receive the part until 11/15/18 and the part was used/programmed for a different vehicle therefore it was unable to be installed in our vehicle. The dealership then provided us with a loaner vehicle and contacted Volkswagen for yet another unused part. It is now 11/28/18 and we still do not have our vehicle. The part was received and installed however the vehicle's battery will no longer hold a charge. The dealership wants to put a new battery in the vehicle and we will have to pay $150 for the battery and installation. We never received notice of this recall. My husband lost 2 days of pay. We had to rely on 3 different people to get my husband to and from work. I am disabled and had surgery on 10/23/18 and unable to get to physical therapy let alone leave the house for a week because the dealership didn't have any available loaner vehicles until 11/15/18. This has been a danger to my family/children and a great inconvenience. Today 11/28/18 I am calling the actual Volkswagen customer service to report their negligence and the grief/expense they have caused my family. We purchased this vehicle because of Volkswagen reliability standards but we will now never purchase from their company again. As of today 11/28/18 we still do not have our vehicle returned!

- Butler, PA, USA

Aug 062018

Routan

I was driving my 2009 Routan this morning (8/6/18) in a round-A-bout when out of blu my steering and brakes completely locked up and my ABS light came on. I had traffic behind me. I almost went over the curb and caused an accident due to this happening. I praise god that I and everyone around was safe. My vehicle has already had the ignition ssswitch replaced twice. I had it checked for codes and nothing came up. I noticed a huge amount of complaints regarrding this. What is it going to take to get this fixed" there are lives on the line. When a vehicle shuts down on the highway that will cause a major accident. Is Volkswagen and NHTSA willing to live with that knowing that this has been a major issue with this vehicle for some time? how many injuries or deaths do you need to prove to you that this is a safety issue"

- Clare, MI, USA

Apr 042018

Routan

Driving down the road and all the lights will start blinking and vehicle will turn completely off. No brakes or power steering when this takes place.unable to drive being pregnant and having 3 young children and do not fill safe since this happened going down hill in a turn.

- Peterstown, WV, USA

Jun 302016

Routan

Vehicle continues to shut down while driving without warning. Vehicle must either be stopped and restarted or placed in neutral while coasting to restart.

- Bushnell, FL, USA

Dec 112017

Routan

Since buying our 2009 Routan in the fall of 2016 we have sunk thousands into it trying to get it fixed because of the issues we have had shortly after buying it (ours did not come with a warranty from the VW dealer). At least twice a week, and sometimes more, it stalls while we are driving...usually at low speeds like when we are slowing down to make a turn or slowing down for a stoplight. Usually, all of the dashboard lights and controls will blink and ding repeatedly before stalling. It also stalls when sitting still. It will blink all of the lights, the controls will go crazy and the windshield wipers will go back and forth one time as it stalls. On Dec 11 it stalled on a major road in charlotte, nc and I lost all power so I could not even put on my flashers. I have an autistic child who was freaking out because I was trying to get all of the kids to be quiet so I could call my husband as we were sitting in the middle of a busy road. We were in a middle lane and the windows were up so I had to open my door quickly and wave for people to go around us. I kept watching my rear view mirror and praying we wouldn't get hit as cars zipped around us honking. The key was stuck in the ignition since there was no power. My husband was headed towards us and I waved people around us for about 5 minutes while jingling the key and trying everything to get something to work. The power finally came back and the key came out and I was able to restart and get home but my kids are afraid to go anywhere in that van again. We have replaced the battery, the control module (one of the most expensive things we tried), the erg valve, the alternator, and some other parts our mechanic wanted to try. Super Eagle auto care has been super helpful in trying to fix it but to no avail. We have learned since buying this vehicle that this is a common problem for VW Routan.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Dec 012016

Routan

While driving on street or highway or stopped. Usually around 20-40mph car stalls. Brakes lock up/steering wheel locks up/no control of car at all. All lights indicate car is on, one bell goes off prior and anti-skid light comes on. By then panic cannot control car! put car in park after stopped and it starts right up.

- Toms River, NJ, USA

Nov 162017

Routan

The car does not start after a stop. It takes hours before it restarts. Replaced battery, starter still same issue. Many other VW Routan owners have the same issue. The car has power but something is messed up in this car.

- Morrisville, NC, USA

Nov 142017

Routan

The contact owns a 2009 Volkswagen Routan. While driving between 15-25 mph, the steering wheel seized and the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to fox valley Volkswagen schaumburg (1000 E golf rd, schaumburg, il 60173, (847) 839-8101) where it was repaired per NHTSA campaign number: 15V194000 (electrical system). The failure recurred at least 15 times within the past two weeks. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 90,900.

- Paladine, IL, USA