2.4

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Volkswagen Tiguan:

Jan 022021

Tiguan

Power to the airbag has failed, making the vehicle unsafe to operate. Airbag warning light has been activated. See VW dealers statement of fact with remarks.

- Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Jun 192019

Tiguan

The contact owns a 2014 Volkswagen Tiguan. The contact stated after returning to the vehicle, the contact became aware of several items of belongings on the ground around the vehicle. The contact attempted to lock the vehicle using the keyfob however, the passenger's side rear door remained unlocked. The contact used the internal door lock function to lock the doors. The contact stated that there was no warning lights or messages to the door being ajar. The vehicle was taken to dick hannah Volkswagen of portland located at (12345 E burnside St, portland, or 97233) to be diagnosed. The contact was informed that the door locking mechanism needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was informed of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Fairview, OR, USA

Dec 062019

Tiguan

A clicking sounds started coming from the steering wheel while turning, at one point the air bag light turned on, and from that point forward, the controls on the steering wheel no longer work, including the horn. The clicking sounds from the steering wheel is still present while turning. I called a place that specializes in VW and they suggested I call VW dealer instead because it was a safety issue and highly likely a recall. I called VW and they stated it was not a recall but part of an "extended warranty", which my car does not qualify for due to the miles on the car. After some research, it seems this is a very common issue with VW, and they are asking for $160 to simply diagnose the problem, even though it is clear to them what the issue is, and not new to them. It is not due to the age or mileage on the car, but a safety miss from their end.

- Brooklyn Park, MN, USA

Jun 072018

Tiguan

Takata recall. I was driving my car when I heard some clicking noise coming from the steering wheel. Suddenly, the airbag light appeared on my dashboard. The horn and the steering wheel controls, such as, volume, stopped working. I called Volkswagen and they said my car wasn't included on the clock spring recall even though my car details(year, model, problem) fit. I have had Volkswagen for ever 9 years and I am so frustrated. My car should have been included on the recall. No doubt.

- Harrison, NJ, USA

Jul 112018

Tiguan

Clock spring broken, VIN not covered in recall.

- Lehigh Acres, FL, USA

Sep 292018

Tiguan

Stationary, parked. Started engine and hear clicking noise from the steering column. Error message and light emerged on the dashboard indicating airbag error. Non-functional electronic controls and horn on the steering wheel. No airbag function and horn is a major safety concern.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Aug 102018

Tiguan

After making a turn out of my driveway I heard a loose rattling noise coming from the steering column whenever I would turn the wheel. After a few minutes I noticed the airbag light was now on. I pulled over and checked the steering wheel. All the controls on the steering wheel were not functioning including the horn. After doing some research we discovered that many 2014 Tiguans were recalled for a defective clockspring causing the problems I am dealing with. The clockspring in my steering wheel is broken disconnecting power from the air bag, horn, and steering wheel controls. I contacted Volkswagen and was informed that my vehicle will not be covered by by the recall even though it is the same type and year model as other vehicles covered for this same problem. The recall needs to be expanded.

- Garland, TX, USA

May 142018

Tiguan

The driver noticed that the car became difficult to turn and that the air-bag error light was on. We took it too an authorized dealer where we had purchased the car brand new.the clock spring was isolated as being defective/non-functional. As a result, the driver air-bag was showing an error, also the horn and the controls on the steering wheel were also inoperable. This apparently is a common problem for these models for which there is a recall that does includes the VW Tiguan 2014 but the authorized dealer (hallmark VW of cool springs, tn) indicated that recall was not for this specific VIN. They charged me $750 for part replacement.

- Brentwood, TN, USA

Feb 052018

Tiguan

Although VW has had recalls in multiple of its 2010-2014 vehicles with the exact same issue I'm having currently there is no recall on my 2014 Volkswagen Tiguan. I was parallel parking and I turned my wheel one way and heard a "tick-tick-tick" sound in the steering wheel column. When I turned the wheel the opposite way to finish parking it did not tick. After that I had no power in my steering wheel controls, alongside the airbag light turning on notifying me they were no longer working and my horn does not work when attempting to use while driving or inside the car. When outside the car and I hit the lock button the horn works notifying me it has been locked. I was nearly rammed into after another car tried merging into my lane and I wasn't able to honk my horn as warning to them. Considering the recent recalls from Volkswagen I don't believe this issue is something I should have to pay for when it is the exact same problem for which the current recalls have been issued.

- Greenfield, IN, USA

Dec 082017

Tiguan

The clock spring in the steering column deteriorated and became nonfunctional in a car that is only 3 years old and with only 17000 miles on it. This is not an old car, to spend about $800 to repair a part that is still this new is ridiculous. There are past and current investigations into this exact part with many models, including variations of our own.

- Salem, MA, USA

Apr 152014

Tiguan 4-cyl

On April 15, 2014, I was at a gas station waiting to pull into an available pump with the car in drive. The car's engine suddenly shut off completely and the battery light signaled. I was able to put the car in park, turn the key to the off position, and restart the engine. As soon as I restarted the engine, the check engine symbol was illuminated. I drove home after filling up on gas. The following morning, April 16, 2014, I called open road Volkswagen of manhattan and scheduled a service appointment for Monday, April 21, 2014. For the remainder of that week, until Sunday, the car did not shut off and the check engine light was illuminated the majority of the time. There were times when I would drive and the check engine light would not be illuminated. On Sunday, April 20, 2014, I was driving on the ramp to get on the fdr drive from the brooklyn bridge, going approximately 20-40 mph, and the engine shut off completely. In the middle of highway traffic, I was forced to place the car in park, turn on my hazard lights, turn the key to the off position, and restart the engine. During the course of driving to an emergency shoulder, as this was an extremely dangerous situation, the car's engine once again turned off completely while I was driving. After making it to an emergency shoulder area, I contacted Volkswagen roadside assistance and the car was eventually towed. Today, April 21, 2014, I spoke with a service representative at open road Volkswagen of manhattan and was told that the check engine symbol of the vehicle is not on (as I mentioned earlier, sometimes it was on for me and sometimes not) and that the car did not have an issue when driven around the block. Therefore, the service representative is going to take the car for an extended period to see if the issue reproduces. Of course, this is an incredibly dangerous issue and should be fixed.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA