3.1

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Volkswagen Tiguan:

Oct 082021

Tiguan

i Was Driving my Vehicle and suddenly the Air Bag and ABS lights went on my dashboard

- Miami, FL, USA

May 162021

Tiguan

We purchased the car pre-owned and after having the car for only a year the driver-s side airbag failed and horns need to be replaced. There have been so many repairs in this car. We have invested more than $5,000 in repairs in only a year. We looked up other recalls on this car and have been seeing the same information about the airbags failing.

- La Mirada, CA, USA

Jan 022021

Tiguan

Power to the airbag has failed, making the vehicle unsafe to operate. Airbag warning light has been activated. See VW dealers statement of fact with remarks.

- Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Dec 062019

Tiguan

A clicking sounds started coming from the steering wheel while turning, at one point the air bag light turned on, and from that point forward, the controls on the steering wheel no longer work, including the horn. The clicking sounds from the steering wheel is still present while turning. I called a place that specializes in VW and they suggested I call VW dealer instead because it was a safety issue and highly likely a recall. I called VW and they stated it was not a recall but part of an "extended warranty", which my car does not qualify for due to the miles on the car. After some research, it seems this is a very common issue with VW, and they are asking for $160 to simply diagnose the problem, even though it is clear to them what the issue is, and not new to them. It is not due to the age or mileage on the car, but a safety miss from their end.

- Brooklyn Park, MN, USA

Sep 152019

Tiguan

While turning my 2014 Tiguan I noticed a clicking noise. About a day later my airbag electrical alert appeared on the dash and all my electrical on my steering wheel buttons stopped working as well as my horn. I checked all my fuses and then saw that it might be the clock spring due to complaints exactly like mine. I saw that there was a recall but my cars VIN number was not included in the recall. This is unacceptable and many other 2014 Tiguan Volkswagen are having to cover these cost themselves due to not being included in the recall. Volkswagen needs to have its recall expanded because this is completely unacceptable to make consumers pay out of pocket over a manufactured malfunction. I feel very unsafe driving my car now knowing my airbags or horn will not work. Please investigate this situation further and not allow Volkswagen to get away with this.

- Auburn, AL, USA

Apr 022018

Tiguan

Air bag recall - air bag light came on and steering wheel controls do not work including horn. Took car in and dealer showed there is a recall for this specific issue/model but not for my specific VIN

- Austin, TX, USA

Jun 072018

Tiguan

Takata recall. I was driving my car when I heard some clicking noise coming from the steering wheel. Suddenly, the airbag light appeared on my dashboard. The horn and the steering wheel controls, such as, volume, stopped working. I called Volkswagen and they said my car wasn't included on the clock spring recall even though my car details(year, model, problem) fit. I have had Volkswagen for ever 9 years and I am so frustrated. My car should have been included on the recall. No doubt.

- Harrison, NJ, USA

Jul 112018

Tiguan

Clock spring broken, VIN not covered in recall.

- Lehigh Acres, FL, USA

Sep 292018

Tiguan

Stationary, parked. Started engine and hear clicking noise from the steering column. Error message and light emerged on the dashboard indicating airbag error. Non-functional electronic controls and horn on the steering wheel. No airbag function and horn is a major safety concern.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Sep 092018

Tiguan

I was taking my car out of the parking spot when I heard my steering wheel clicking. Suddenly, the airbag light appeared on the dash board, my steering wheel controls and my horn stopped working. I searched on the internet and I saw other cars with the same problem. I called VW and they said my car wasn't on the recall list and not on the warranty so I would have to repair it on my own.

- Harrison, NJ, USA

May 012018

Tiguan

Takata recall / clock spring, why is every other model in this year covered accept for the Tiguan? I am a single mom and can not afford this part. I have already taken it to the dealer and they can't help me. All I did was try to parallel park and the steering column started clicking and the airbag light came on. There is no horn or airbag or steering controls. This is extremely dangerous. Please help me!

- Ephrata, PA, USA

Jun 112018

Tiguan

While driving and making a left turn on a city street, I heard a clicking in the steering wheel and the airbag error light came O. then none of the buttons on the steering wheel worked. Dealer investigated and determined it was the clock spring. The mileage was 66,000. About the same as all the other complaints I have read. Luckily I only had to pay the 50 charge because I had a used car warranty.

- Hamden, CT, USA

May 142018

Tiguan

My airbag has a clock spring issue and needs to go to the dealer for repair. My car is not considered with the recall related to the same issue, same make, model, and year of my car (2014 Volkswagen Tiguan).

- Charlestown, MA, USA

May 142018

Tiguan

The driver noticed that the car became difficult to turn and that the air-bag error light was on. We took it too an authorized dealer where we had purchased the car brand new.the clock spring was isolated as being defective/non-functional. As a result, the driver air-bag was showing an error, also the horn and the controls on the steering wheel were also inoperable. This apparently is a common problem for these models for which there is a recall that does includes the VW Tiguan 2014 but the authorized dealer (hallmark VW of cool springs, tn) indicated that recall was not for this specific VIN. They charged me $750 for part replacement.

- Brentwood, TN, USA

May 102018

Tiguan

The contact owns a 2014 Volkswagen Tiguan. While driving various speeds, the air bag indicator illuminated and an "air bag safety alert" message appeared on the instrument panel. The failure was a safety concern so the contact visited the safercar.gov website and discovered an unknown recall listed for the vehicle. The vehicle was driven to Volkswagen of downtown la (1900 S figueroa St, los angeles, ca 90007, (213) 477-7358) where it was diagnosed that the clockspring failed and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 59,362.

- Pico Rivera, CA, USA

Dec 122017

Tiguan

The contact owns a 2014 Volkswagen Tiguan. While driving approximately 35 mph and making a left turn, a noise was heard coming from the steering wheel and the air bag warning indicator illuminated. The contact also stated that the controls located on the steering wheel for the cruise control, bluetooth, and horn failed to operate. In addition, the contact was unable to use the rear middle seat because the seat belt failed to extend. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or independent mechanic to determine the cause of the failure. The manufacturer was contacted and stated that the vehicle was not under warranty. No further assistance was offered. The approximate failure mileage was 51,000.

- Calexico, CA, USA

Feb 052018

Tiguan

Although VW has had recalls in multiple of its 2010-2014 vehicles with the exact same issue I'm having currently there is no recall on my 2014 Volkswagen Tiguan. I was parallel parking and I turned my wheel one way and heard a "tick-tick-tick" sound in the steering wheel column. When I turned the wheel the opposite way to finish parking it did not tick. After that I had no power in my steering wheel controls, alongside the airbag light turning on notifying me they were no longer working and my horn does not work when attempting to use while driving or inside the car. When outside the car and I hit the lock button the horn works notifying me it has been locked. I was nearly rammed into after another car tried merging into my lane and I wasn't able to honk my horn as warning to them. Considering the recent recalls from Volkswagen I don't believe this issue is something I should have to pay for when it is the exact same problem for which the current recalls have been issued.

- Greenfield, IN, USA

Feb 042018

Tiguan

Airbag light came on, being a VW dealer technician, scanned vehicle found faults for drivers airbag igniter above permissible limit, also noticed crunching noise when turning, uploaded my VIN to VW's online portal found no open recalls, while searching technical bulletins found recall 69L7 pertaining to my exact problem, all the faults and symptoms stated in the recall instructions were my exact problems. First I called VW customer care and there was nothing they can D because my VIN was not part of the recall, as working for a dealership I attempted to have it warrantied goodwill, I had a repair order made, and I diagnosed it to being a faulty clock spring. After log was uploaded to VW, my warranty administrator told me that the claim had been denied. This is a safety issue and the part to fix the vehicle is 300 dollars with me repairing it. My girlfriend drives the vehicle daily and has a 3 year old child. I will not let her drive the vehicle because the entire airbag system is off as well as not having a horn, this is a serious safety concern and VW refuses to claim responsibility and to warranty the repair when the issue is known in other vehicles.

- Akron, PA, USA

Feb 012018

Tiguan

The contact owns a 2014 Volkswagen Tiguan. The contact stated that the electronic functions on the steering wheel were inoperable. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic to be diagnosed. The contact was informed that the clock spring failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V483000 (air bags). Archer Volkswagen (10400 southwest fwy, houston, tx 77074, (713) 272-1700) was contacted and an appointment was made to have the vehicle repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 43,000.

- Missouri City, TX, USA

Dec 222017

Tiguan

Airbag warning light on, horn not functional and control buttons on steering wheel not working. Occurred suddenly on city road. Broken clock spring - existing recall but my cars VIN not covered under the recall.

- Belmont, MA, USA