6.4

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 BMW i3:

Jun 012016

i3

While driving the car and at a stop light the car made some jerky noise and got the "drivetrain malfunction - stop and turn off engine. Do not continue driving. Call roadside assistance" message. This has happened about 6 months ago and had the car towed to the service and they never found any problem. Now in the span of a day it has happened 3 times. When I turn off engine, wait a minute or so and start again, I was able to drive the car again. I am not sure why this is happening and I have looked through all BMW forums and facebook pages and nobody seems to have an answer. I am worried about driving the car and having it completely halt in the middle of driving on the freeway. This needs to be addressed by BMW and I have yet to get an answer.

- Oakland, CA, USA

Jan 012016

i3

Charged my car overnight in my climate controlled garage and went out the next morning to run errands. Turned it on, put it in drive, heard a pop or clunk from the rear and then got a drive train not available - do not move vehicle error. Couldn't even put the car in neutral for towing - BMW roadside had to send a tow truck with skates to prop up the back end and push it out of my garage. It's been at the dealer almost 2 weeks now - the local mechanics have had calls with BMW back in germany and they can't seem to figure out what the problem is.

- Charlottesville, VA, USA