Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet HHR:

Aug 102013

HHR 8-cyl

While driving in a parking lot I heard a ding, looked down at the dash and saw that a power steering warning light was on. I tried pulling into a parking space and noticed that I had no power steering assist and had to muscle the car over. I turned off the engine, restarted it and everything seemed ok. This issue started happening every few days after that, sometimes at highway speed. This is a very dangerous situation, had this been a less strong person like my wife or an elderly person she would not have had the strength to steer the car! after doing extensive research I was shocked at what I found. The HHR is built on a Chevy cobalt chassis, and the cobalt has a recall for this same exact issue but Chevy had not had a recall on the HHR, not is the us anyway. Canada has forced GM to do a recall on the HHR for this same exact issue but to date it has not been done in the us. The defective steering motor part number recalled on the cobalt was the same exact part number as the HHR, so why has this not been addressed on the HHR" if you'll read some of the HHR forums you'll learn that mine was not as isolated occurrence, it is very common and seems to start happening when the cars get around 50,000 miles. Had this happened to an elder person at highway speeds chances are they would not have been able to control the vehicle, this disables the steering! I had this repaired at an astronomical cost of over $800. My car was still under warranty, but surprise surprise GM said this is not covered under the chassis warranty? what, the steering is not a component of the chassis" this issue needs to be addressed, im surprised someone's life has not already been lost over this issue. Please force GM to recall this issue and refund ones like me that have had to pay out of our pockets to have this repaired.

- Ooltewah, TN, USA

Feb 262014

HHR 4-cyl

I was driving down the road and dash started flashing and beeping saying power steering. The power steering quit working while turning on snowy roads this am. I pulled over checked fuses. Called dealer who states bring it in. When I restarted car power steering working again. This was a scary experience later today as im driving on freeway at 65 or so power steering went out again. My question is this is a safety issue. With more research I am seeing this is common for these cars and recalls on other Chevrolet have been made for same reason. This is scary especially in northeast Ohio snow weather and icy roads. I've been told cant pinpoint this until I take it in to the shop when the power steering goes out. So I guess I wait til it happens again really"?" if I work far from dealership guess im supposed to drive it to dealership when it goes out at 9 pm what a joke. Hope they figure out this glitch....have to share I have had this happen a while ago when had less miles and thought it was a fluke now it returns. Yes high miles but car has been serviced as per recommendations since owning it.

- Rome, OH, USA

Aug 082012

HHR 4-cyl

Lost power steering and will not return. The power steering was recalled on the Impala and one other model ( cobalt ) I think but not the HHR.

- Moriarty, NM, USA

Apr 162013

HHR 4-cyl

3 tones sound - the display on the dashboard says power steering - steering is extremely difficult to control, if you are in the middle of a turn you are in trouble.

- Madison Heights, MI, USA

Nov 282013

HHR

Power steering overheats causing power steering to quit working when wheel is turned to left or right while car is stopped. The movement is necessary to parallel park the car. Once overheated you no longer have power steering making the car difficult to drive. This is very dangerous for a new teenage driver. Chevy knows of the issue, was told by GM that a replacement motor has the same issue.

- St. Paul, MN, USA

Oct 032013

HHR 4-cyl

The electric power steering motor failed 3 times within 20 minutes. I reset it by turning the ignition key off and restarting the car. I replaced the motor and it works fine now.

- Pendleton, IN, USA

Oct 092013

HHR 4-cyl

Power steering message on the driver information center (dic) and loss of power steering causing difficult steering and an unsafe driving condition.

- Apache Junction, AZ, USA

Sep 112013

HHR

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving 5 mph, the power steering system malfunctioned making the vehicle difficult to steer. The contact had to shut the vehicle off and then restart in order for the power steering to regain normal functionality. The contact took the vehicle to a dealer for a diagnostic test. The dealer stated that the power steering motor was defective and the entire power steering system needed to be replaced. The contact did not have the power steering system replaced. The failure mileage was 67,000.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Sep 102013

HHR 4-cyl

While making a left turn the power steering light came on and I could not turn the steering wheel. Four days later it did the same thing while driving straight on the road at about 30 mph. Each time I have to turn the car off and then restart it to make the problem go away. This could lead to crashes causing injury or death.

- Amarillo, TX, USA

Jun 092009

HHR 4-cyl

GM is going to have a law suite on there hands. We all HHR owners need to band together. My wife was in car crash. There is a lot of problems with the power steering quitting while taken off for a drive. GM company needs to have a recall on this to fix it and make it right for the owners. And make it right for the customer. What they are doing by not make a recall on this is " wrong "

- Nolanville, TX, USA

Aug 092013

HHR

While driving the 2009 Chevy HHR back from work, without warning, the electric power steering stopped and a warning message came up on the dic. Once ignition was shut off the problem cleared temporarily. Over the past 24 hours the power steering has continued to exhibit the same erratic behavior.

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Aug 082013

HHR 4-cyl

While driving at 35 mph power steering cut out on vehicle.after pulling over & restarting engine P/steering returns for short period and cuts out again.where is govt. Recall? same components used on Chevy cobalt and they were recalled. No recall om HHR. Oh wait, nobody died yet!!!! eventually somebody will. Don't wait till it's too late.

- Farmingdale, NY, USA

Aug 022013

HHR 4-cyl

Started the car up and the power steering light came on. No steering. Drove home carefully and shut motor off. Started car up again and the power steering worked. Went to dealer and shut car off. They said warranty was off. Started car back up and power steering light came back on and no steering. I went back home. I can shut off the car and the light doesn't come on for about 30 seconds. Now I will be forced to have it fixed at my expense even though I have discovered through the internet that this is a common problem with HHR's and General Motors will not recall the vehicles.

- Sierra Vista, AZ, USA

Jul 042013

HHR

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that the power steering failed and the steering wheel became hard to turn. The failure recurred numerous times while driving at any speed. The power steering warning light was illuminated when the failure occurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 54,000 and the current 57,500.

- Cathedral City , CA, USA

May 302013

HHR 4-cyl

Most recently almost every time I turn on my car, I will drive for maybe 5 minutes and my steering wheel becomes locked. I will pull off to the side shut off & turn back on the car leave it sit on for another minute or so pull off and the power steering will become engaged again locking the steering wheel. This has happened to me more and more frequently, especially since the days have become hotter. I have called my dealership and made appointments to get it diagnosed by every time I will go in for the appointment at that moment they will look at it and say or nothing is wrong. There are no display warnings on your dash board, you will have to bring it back to us when it is on. This issue is becoming very alarming to me since it is happening more frequently. I can't keep taking off every time I believe that there is an issue especially if when I go to the dealership and no work gets done.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jul 102013

HHR

While driving at various speeds the power steering goes out making the difficult to control. I did research only to find that many other HHR owners experienced the same issue and several other Chevy models were recalled for the same issue. This has happened at various speeds. Restarting the car temporarily fixes it. Has happened between 0 and 2 miles of starting the car. (7 times yesterday) it could be very dangerous while trying to make turns.

- Prospect Heights, IL, USA

Jul 072013

HHR 4-cyl

I was driving home from work and as I was making a right turn the power steering went out. This has happened previously but luckily I was at a stop sign. I thought the car had stalled so I cut it off and restarted and it was fine. I drove to work the next morning and still no problem until I was making the right turn and then had difficulty controlling the car. Once I managed to get it in my drive, shut it off and then restarted- the power steering message went away and once again the car was fine. Same thing next morning car fine- I work about 5-7 miles from home. Again on the way home with no warning in rush hour traffic- power steering goes out as I am changing lanes. I manage once again to get home. My car has the same part that the Chevy cobalt has and Chevy had recalled the cobalt to make repairs but not the HHR. I have seen numerous complaints filed about this and fear that they do not take our safety seriously whom own the HHR- I have contacted Chevy and ask who to lodge complaint with since they were not helpful. They did not give me the information. I had to find on google. I did tell them that the internet is full of this same complaint regarding the power steering on the HHR and the response was I cannot look and unapproved GM sites(whatever that means). Thank you for you concern and hope you can help someone from having a serious injury due to this malfunction.

- Murfreesboro, TN, USA

Jul 012013

HHR 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver as the power steering warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not taken to dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 66,686.

- Yuba City , CA, USA

May 252013

HHR 4-cyl

While driving down a steep grade at aprox. 50mph the steering power assist failed and power steering warning message on the dash light up. I drove home slowly aprox 8 miles with no steering. When I started the car later, the steering was fine again. Since that day the same thing has happened daily and happens within seconds of turning on the car.

- Carlsbad, CA, USA

May 132013

HHR

My power steering went out on my Chevrolet HHR. It started anytime I parallel parked and eventually would happen driving 65 mph on the interstate. I could hardly turn the wheel, and it was very unsafe to drive. I was notified by my dealership that the power steering motor was the problem. It was fixed, and the problem no longer occurs. It has come to my attention this same power steering motor was recalled in other cars, but not the HHR. Make this happen.

- Mendota, IL, USA