Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500:

Jun 122012

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

My antilock brakes kicked in when I was going 5 mph. I drifted right into a road that I was about to enter. I could not stop the vehicle at low speeds.

- Bel Air, MD, USA

May 112013

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

My brake lines rusted through and burst when I used my brakes. Could not keep my truck from moving when stopped at an intersection.

- Bel Air, MD, USA

May 122013

Silverado 1500

Brake pedal went to floor while shifting out of park (luckily).brake line rusted through. All 4 brake lines to the ABS are rusted and all must be replaced. Also parking brake does not work even though all parts have been replaced.

- Milford, CT, USA

Nov 052012

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

Catastrophic front brake failure on interstate highway. No accident or injuries, but repairs included brake lines, calipers and pads due to corrosion of said lines and caliper assemblies. Shop said this is a common occurrence for GM products regardless of age of the vehicle.

- Oregonia, OH, USA

Feb 082013

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

Service brakes failed due to corroded brake line above rear axle. Park brake failed to slow the vehicle due to the rear brake dustshield being corroded to the point is was completely gone. The lack of a dust shield allowed the park brake shoe and linkage corrode and become inoperative.

- Worcester, MA, USA

Mar 222012

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

I was quite fortunate to have been leaving a parking spot and had just left "park" shifted into drive and applied the brake because a pedestrian stepped out. At that time the pedal hit the floor, I steered the truck in the opposite direction from the person, headed for a part of the lot where there were no cars, applied the parking brake, it did'nt work either, so I put it into park. All this and I hadnt applied the gas to the vehicle. Only moments before I parked, I had been traveling on the expressway at 70 mph. When I got out of the truck, all the brake fluid was on the ground. Upon closer investigation, we noticed the brake lines were rotted out completely. We feel lucky that no one was injured or killed. Very angry at Chevrolet.

- Independence, KY, USA

Jul 102007

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

This vehicle, at 46,000 miles had to have all the rotors and brake pads and two calipers replaced because they rusted up and locked up. Had to do it again about 65,000 miles, then had a back caliper seize up and replaced both rotors and one caliper along with new pads. I then had to have all the rotors replaced, both front hubs, one new caliper and pads again at beck Chevrolet a year ago. On my way down to fl this past fall, with about 84,000 on the truck, another caliper seized up and had to replace the caliper, both back rotors and brake pads. Yesterday, 3/27/13, on my way home from town, with 85,000 miles on the truck, the pedal went to the floor and no brakes. Inspection showed a ruptured brake line on the driver's side. My repairman said every brake line is swiss cheese and need to be replaced. This is ridiculous. I've spent several thousand dollars and have replaced brakes 3 times, all rotors, most calipers and two front hubs because of rust. The frame and everything under my truck is rusted very badly. I've owned this truck since 2004, and bought it when it had 26,000 miles on it. It drives beautiful and is like new, but it's going to rot right out from under me. Please help!

- Salt Springs, FL, USA

Jul 282012

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

Total brake failure due to brakelines rusted out, had to replace all brakelines. Powerplant company truck.

- Rising Sun, MD, USA

Mar 172013

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

I backed down my driveway proceeded down pudding street to get on taconic parkway while drive down single line road approached a curve going down a grade tried to slow down from 40 mph pedal went to floor I put truck in low gear and was able to stop using parking brake while holding release handle to bring to stop at bottom of grade. Crawled under truck brake rusted thru under driver are location attached to frame rail.

- Carmel, NY, USA

Oct 082012

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

I was driving my 2002 Silverado on a narrow two lane road with a few steep grades and my brakes went to the floor on one of the down grades. I pumped the brakes but nothing happened. Luckily, I had enough time to react and use the emergency brake to get stopped at the bottom of the grade before running through the stop sign at the T intersection and possibly over the embankment directly across from me. Once I got home I realized that all the lines running along the frame to the ABS box were corroded as well as the ones going to the front calipers. Once I started researching this I found out that it was a known problem. Also, one that just about everone that I know with a Silverado around that same year has had. I'm just glad that my wife or my 16 year old step-daughter wasn't driving when this happened!

- Etters, PA, USA

Feb 282013

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

While exiting freeway, on "off ramp" removed foot from gas pedal to start braking and pedal went to floor. Literally stopped two (2) feet from rear of already stopped car. Upon underneath inspection found leaking brake fluid at rear, severely corroded brake line.

- Lyndhurst, OH, USA

Aug 272012

Silverado 1500

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado. The contact stated that while driving 50 mph, the brakes failed and the contact was unable to decelerate. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic for diagnosis and was informed that the brake line had blown. The contact was also informed that all the brake lines appeared to be decaying. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 63,000.

- Arlington, MA, USA

Feb 102009

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

Brake line ruptured. Mechanic said it had rusted through. This happen in 2009 and again today 2/23/2013.

- Annapolis, MD, USA

Feb 122013

Silverado 1500 4WD 8-cyl Diesel

I was traveling southbound on ct. Rte. 8 at approx 6am at 55 miles per hour. State maintenance vehicles had partially obstructed the road as I rounded the bend approaching the trumbull town line this in turn caused an abrupt halt of traffic. I applied my brakes rather hard which did slow the vehicle but I still had to swerve into the breakdown lane in order to avoid a collision when the brake pedal went to the floor. Upon investigation I had found that the steel hard line running along the frame rail for the rear brakes was badly corroded and had bust. The rest of the steel lines which all run to and from the ABS pump are also in bad shape. It is my opinion these lines be made from stainless steel in the interest of safety. After all they make most modern exhaust in stainless and that is not as important as stopping your vehicle!!!

- Southington, CT, USA

Jul 132011

Silverado 1500

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado. The contact stated that while reversing at approximately 3 mph, he depressed the brakes and the brakes failed to respond. The contact mentioned the emergency brakes were used in order to stop the vehicle. Also, there was brake fluid leaking from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing. The mechanic stated that the brake lines needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 52,000 and the current mileage was 60,000.

- Wallingford, CT, USA

Jan 132013

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

I was driving my 2002 Chevy Silverado 1500 through a parking lot and another vehicle backed out without looking. I hit my brakes to stop and I heard a little pop and my pedal went to the floor. Luckily I hit the parking brake which stopped me which kept me from hitting the car that pulled out in front of me. I drove my vehicle home using the parking brake to stop when needed. After locating the leak, I noticed all the lines were so badly corroded, I'm going to have to replace all lines to get the right one. I have to take it to a shop because each line has to be bent in specific spots. Why GM doesn't sell pre bent lines is unbelievable. This is an expensive job costing me @ $950 which is absurd. I could do it myself if I was able to get the actual parts needed. I guess GM will still find a way to get more money from you even after you buy one of their over priced vehicles...! terrible shame..

- Ironton, OH, USA

Dec 142012

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

During an unexpected stop situation, my brakes stopped working normally. The ABS system was going on and off. My pick up would not stop. Fortunately, there was no oncoming traffic and I was able to drive in the oncoming lane avoiding the vehicle in front of me and there was no accident. I took the vehicle to my repair shop and the technician showed me that the brakelines were rusting out and in two spots the lines had ruptured, probably during the event described above. Brake fluid was leaking from the lines in two spots.

- Xenia, OH, USA

Dec 072012

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

Took truck in for state inspection, truck failed inspection due to rusted brake lines, power steering pump leaking, dealer said it would be $1228.43 to $1420.99 to just fixed the brake lines all lines needed replaced and calipers screws. Power steering pump cost $535 to replace. Poor quality, high cost to fix and lack of safety on GM part for not covering rubber coating or using stainless steel lines to protect our family very discouraged with service tech said these are the prices. What happened to our safety. Brake lines and gas lines should not be made of steel that can corrode and rust out and break. Power steering pump with these few miles should not have gone out. My 1988 Chevy truck never had these problems. There needs to be a recall.

- Rollinsford, NH, USA

Dec 052012

Silverado 1500

Corroded fuel and brake lines resulting in perforation of metal lines and fuel and brake fluid leaks.

- Copley, OH, USA

Oct 082012

Silverado 1500

Server corrosion of the brake lines caused a unexpected brake line failure with no prior warning. Loss of brake fluid caused a total loss of braking, no warning lights where displayed on the dash to let you know of a potential brake failure that was happening.

- Rahway, NJ, USA