Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Traverse:

Jan 052015

Traverse 4WD 6-cyl

Had to replace the transmission after the car had difficulty shifting at higher gears. Spent $3500 getting a new transmission. This after having the power steering failing, a new timing belt installed and a leaking water pump.

- Lees Summit, MO, USA

Mar 042015

Traverse 6-cyl

Driving 2009 Chevy Traverse front wheel drive and noticed that the transmission was not shifting correctly. While taking off from a stop the car moved slowly the shifted hard into gear causing the car to lurch forward violently. I almost hit another car in from of me and was almost rear ended by the car behind me when I slammed on the brake. The problem is the 3 5 R waveplate, which is a common problem with this vehicle and all GM lambda platform vehicles. Got no help from the dealership or GM in fixing the vehicle.will cost $2500 to $3500 to repair.

- Houston, TX, USA

Feb 282015

Traverse

Vehicle violently shaking in reverse. Late shifting in drive.

- Lawton, OK, USA

Feb 282015

Traverse

Vehicle violently shaking in reverse. Late shifting in drive.

- Lawton, OK, USA

Feb 172015

Traverse

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that while driving at 60 mph, the transmission failed. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure was 117,000.

- Trufant, MI, USA

Feb 132015

Traverse

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that while driving approximately 70 mph, the speed decreased and failed to accelerate over 20 mph. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 116,000.

- Ceres, CA, USA

Jan 302015

Traverse 6-cyl

The 2009 Chevrolet Traverse is a hazard to drive! this is the 3rd major break down in the last 4 years and is also currently under recall for bad airbags and seatbelts, whereas should there be an accident, the actual deployment of said bags would "injure the occupant" (recall words). In 2012 the entire power steering system failed. Later recalled and good thing I was in they driveway and not the interstate! 2013 the catalytic converter system failed to a tune of $2,020.84 - totally out of pocket expense, and once again, the engine could have caught fire and caused injury. 2015 just a few weeks ago, the transmission fails completely and is estimated at $3,896.36 at just over 100,000 miles, less than 5 years old. All Chevrolet Traverses are potentially hazardous and should be totally recalled. Thank you

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Feb 072015

Traverse 6-cyl

35R wave plate failed inside transmission causing extensive damage. GM used non strain relieved/heat treated wave plates causing a well documented failure rate.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jan 272015

Traverse 6-cyl

The transmission went out. Last it was the fuel injection and year before that it was the power steering. Air bags and seat belts are currently under recall. Not a safe vehicle.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Jul 302014

Traverse

While driving the vehicle slipped out of drive and by the time I got home reverse was gone. I took it to the dealership, sunshine Chevy in asheville nc, and it was only one month out of warranty. They tried to sell me a new transmission for $6,000 then after much fighting only charged a warranty deductable (never heard of such a thing) of $500. It has been five months and this new transmission is now doing the same thing! this car is a death trap. It rolls backwards when it is in drive, they have since claimed it is a design flaw and not covered under any warranty. It is like driving a straight drive, you have to keep your foot on the brake until you accelerate. I live in the mountains and it is a huge problem. There is also an seat belt recall that they have not fixed yet. I have had it in for a timing chain recall, and air bags, plus three others since purchasing this vehicle. I was told when I purchased this vehicle it had 10 years on the power train, is the transmission not a part of that" I have over 25 complaints for this same transmission issue and I am gathering more. How do we get this vehicle recalled"

- Rosman, NC, USA

Nov 202014

Traverse 6-cyl

During the first incident of this problem the car would stutter/hesitate/shift strange when going up a hill at higher speeds. The problem continued for about one year and then had a transmission failure with no shift from 2nd gear to 3rd, difficulty shifting from 5th to 6th, and no reverse.

- Warner Robins, GA, USA

Nov 212014

Traverse 6-cyl

My wife the driver was taking my son to school and the transmission was making a winning sound then the transmission failed. Thankfully there was no accident. Took the vehicle to the dealer and the customer rep said that the transmission will have to be replaced. They said it would cost $4850. I immediately called GM and they said that I was up by 5 months on warranty. It has a 100,000 mile or 5 year power train warranty. They will not help replace my transmission or give good will assistance. It really makes me mad that this is a known bulletin and problem that GM ignores to fix. The problem is bulletin no.: 09-07-30-012A which is a broken 35R clutch wave plate inside the transmission causing metal shavings in transmission an a total failure on the transmission. It's a $20 dollar part that comes off and it destroys the transmission. Thankfully my family is ok. I believe that GM should extend this issue under warranty and fix this problem before some gets hurt or killed. I would hate to think what would happen if she was in a metropolitan area and it went out in heavy traffic. Please do something about this!!!!!! thanks

- Fort Gibson, OK, USA

May 052014

Traverse 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. While driving approximately 20 mph, the vehicle lost power and the battery was completely drained. All the lights on the instrument panel illuminated. Also, while the vehicle was parked, it started to roll away. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician stated that the vehicle was working up to standards. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was unknown. Updated 1/13/15 updated 9/6/2017

- Hammonton, NJ, USA

Oct 312014

Traverse 6-cyl

My 2009 Traverse lost its power steering while we were driving it. We didn't get into an accident but almost did. That same day I received a letter from GM stating that my 2009 Traverse may or may not have powersteering issues. After bringing it to the dealer they informed me that the rack and pinion was also leaking and the cost of the fix was 900 bucks with tax. Why was the rack and pinion not covered, it seems like it the cause of the powersteering issues.

- Cranford , NJ, USA

Jun 172014

Traverse 6-cyl

Transmission felt like it was slipping in various gears, sometimes at start and others between higher gears. Onstar reported misfire.taken to dealership for diagnostics, codes P 0300,01,02,03,04,05,0011 & 0014. Advised engine oil was low enough, even though no leaks, causing cam actuators and solenoids to rattle and set up misfires. Was due for routine service anyway. This was said to cause what felt like the transmission slipping. Now, week of 10/13-18/2014, same symptoms only getting worse. Car taken to a respected transmission shop locally for diagnostics and being told transmission needs replaced. Transmission was serviced at 62,951 miles on 05/25/2012. Vehicle always serviced at dealership.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Oct 082014

Traverse

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 70 mph with the cruise control activated, the vehicle suddenly accelerated and the engine RPM's increased to 6000. The vehicle was restarted and the vehicle failed to accelerate over 20 mph. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that metal particles were discovered inside the transmission fluid. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 110,000.

- Carterville, MO, USA

Aug 072014

Traverse

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that the vehicle was in the drive but would not move to another gear after depressing the accelerator pedal. The contact turned the vehicle off and back on and the contact was able to drive but could not accelerate past 10 mph. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the transmission was faulty and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the defect but no solution was offered. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 90,000.

- Huger, SC, USA

Aug 072014

Traverse

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that the vehicle was in drive but would not move after depressing the accelerator pedal. The contact turned the engine off and back on and the vehicle began to move but would not accelerate past 10 mph. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who diagnosed that the transmission was faulty and would need to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure but no solution was offered. The failure mileage was 90,000.

- Huger, SC, USA

May 292014

Traverse 6-cyl

I called to make an appt. For an air bag recall when it started slipping out of drive while driving. I could not get one for five days. I was told not to worry it would be fine. I barely made it to the dealership, reverse was gone and I had to drive slow and drop it into low, when it would slip out of gear I just prayed the guy behind me would not rear end me. They told me that this was also on recall and they would fix it for free. The next day they called and told me I would have to pay $6000 for a new transmission, when I told them I wasn't paying anything he said he would talk to GM again. Then he called and said it was $4000! I told him again I wasn't paying anything and he said he would talk to his general manager. Then he called and said the general manger would override GM and only charge me a $500 recall deductible. This is crazy!! this car has had numerous recalls, timing chain, air bags, faulty seat belts, heated washer fluid mechanism causing fires, and now this. The last recall I took it in for they informed me that the master cylinder is leaking into the power brake booster and want $600 to fix that. He told me to drive it until the brake light came on and fix it then! this model also rolls in the opposite direction of the gear it is in. I have been told it is a "feature" of this model. I have searched on line and found several complaints about this for other 2009 Traverse's. some state that it is a "characteristic" of this model. The truth is it is a flaw. It can't be fixed and they don't want to recall the vehicle. They gave me a loaner that is a 2013 Traverse and it doesn't do it. I have to drive mine like it is a straight drive. I live in the mountains and if I stop on a hill I have to leave my foot on the brake and give it gas before I take my foot off or else I roll into the car behind me. This car is a lemon, something needs to be done.

- Rosman , NC, USA

May 142010

Traverse

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated while driving approximately 70 mph the transmission failed to operate with the illumination of the engine warning indicator. The rpms began to reduce and a popping noise also emitted from the transmission. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for diagnosis. The transmission was replaced. The failure recurred nine times. Two days after the repair was performed the water pump was replaced by the dealer. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 9,982.

- Longview, WA, USA