Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Traverse:

May 232019

Traverse

Purchased from Honda of slidell, Louisiana around 1 1/2 year ago. Has had engine problems, electrical and ac problems since purchased. The engine has to be replaced. The car is crap! ac system has to be replaced.

- Gulfport, MS, USA

Mar 112019

Traverse

Takara recall- my vehicle is leaking oil to the engine which is causing it to go through my exhaust..I have kept my vehicle with maintenance updated..I tried reaching out to Chevy mcgarth - no response..so I looked this up because the mechanic stated that the issues going on with my car should have had an warranty on it..because this is my fault

- Cedar Rapids, IA, USA

Nov 252018

Traverse

My 09' Traverse started to shudder intermittently on acceleration and then the service engine light (sel) came on. I had the car diagnosed and the code was a P0302 (misfire cyl). I had the car serviced and repaired by an ase certified mechanic. All coils and spark plugs were replaced along with fuel inj service, performance restore (oil, gaskets, etc). No discrepancies were noted with previous coils/plugs. The car appeared to be fixed. No problems were noted during an 800 mile roundtrip. Then the shuddering returned during normal day driving around town upon acceleration with the sel illuminating. I took the car back into the mechanic, and the code was the same (P0302). After further research by the mechanic, a GM technical bulletin was found (#pip5038B). I've contacted GM customer service and filed a complaint, case # 9-5063655170.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Aug 082018

Traverse

Unsafe car to drive in with my kids. I have no traction control and very sporadic power loss! I was driving with my kids going about 30mph and spun out of control around a curve with my kids in the car. Thank the lord no one was hurt and neither was the vehicle. I try to take off from a light or stop sign and itżll either take off super fast and almost hit the car in front of me, or take off slow with no power and almost get rear ended. I bought this car used 6 months ago and the last 3 months have been very frustrating with issues of this vehicle. Iżve already put $300 into it and now it's saying to change the cat converter. I called the #1 local shop to get a quote and he actually said his number one supplier has stopped issuing this part to Chevy Traverse because of all the recalls! so what do I do now"???" I am a medical courier and this Traverse is my source of income. Iżve always loved Chevy and donżT buy any other brand, but Cżmon. I donżT have $3000 to fix electrical issues!! especially when it is a manufacturers default and mistake!! very unsatisfied :(

- Springfield, MO, USA

Oct 102018

Traverse

I have a Chevy traverser 2009 105K miles on it, it have all king of problems, 3 years and don't pass emission test, I have spend around $2500 on it since I bought this vehichcle, unfortunate on 3 times I have bring the veicle to the dealer and ignition coils changed on first visit, they told me to change the catalitic converters on 2nd visit I did, and now on my last intent the dealer service department say I have to fix all this first the wiring from the motor to transmition, every time I bring the vehicle to the dealer they came out with some thing new and I end paying around $200 for only diagnostic service, please if some one now a good lawyer or a sue case let me know thanks

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Oct 012018

Traverse

The wiring harnesses in the A-pillar and B-pillar are not sealed from water. Water is getting into them and shorting out the speakers. This causes the warning chimes for seatbelt, backup camera and engine light to not sound. After a rain water can be poured out of the speakers connection box. Has been going on for 5 years.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Aug 092018

Traverse

The trunk door closed down on me and the sensor did not send a signal to make the door go back up. I was pinned down to the bottom of the car and had to pull myself out very quickly, but not without minor injury to the back of my left arm. The vehicle was turned on and in park, in a parking lot. I was unable to pop the trunk, when my husband pressed the button to make it automatically go up. That's when, after leaning inside the vehicle, it started to go back down and did not stop when the door touched me.

- Lynchburg, VA, USA

Jun 272018

Traverse

Vehicle has stalled several times with complete power loss. Fails to crank or turn on. Had starter replaced and continues to do same thing.

- Edinburg, TX, USA

Mar 202018

Traverse

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. While driving at an unknown speed, the power failure indicator illuminated and the vehicle shut off. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence and later towed to an independent mechanic who was unable to diagnose or repair the vehicle. The contact called mcelveen Buick GMC at 843-871-6800 (located at 117 farmington rd, summerville, SC 29483) and was informed that there was no recall. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 120,000.

- Holly Hill, SC, USA

May 012017

Traverse

Air bags light keeps turning on, my front suspension keeps rattling keep fixing it and canżT find the problem, my seat belts keep breaking, we have a elictrical problem sometimes things work and sometimes it donżT, and tail gate jerks sometimes when closing.

- Modesto, CA, USA

Aug 102017

Traverse

While spouse was driving vehicle with kids on expressway, the vehicle shut off by itself. Spouse pulled over and waited about 10 minutes before vehicle started again. Couple of days later, vehicle would not start at all. Took to dealer a couple of weeks later as vehicle still would not start. Dealer found the electronic chassis module(ECM) was shorted. There is a known recall for this same vehicle and symptoms. Dealer and GM state this vehicle is not part of recall however same model and year across country has same issue.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Nov 072016

Traverse

The contact owned a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that various warning indicators illuminated. In addition, the warning indicators for the air bags, service engine, and low beam headlights shorted several times. The contact smelled a burning odor near the front of the vehicle several times. The vehicle was repaired several times by the dealer, but the failure recurred. While driving at an unknown speed, a deer crossed the vehicle's path and crashed into the front of the vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. The vehicle was towed to a dealer for diagnostic testing. The driver sustained minor bruising, but did not require medical treatment. A police report was not filed. The manufacturer provided no solution and the vehicle was traded in for a 2013 Chevrolet Traverse. The VIN and failure mileage were not available.

- Beaumont, TX, USA

Nov 142015

Traverse

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that while driving at 65 mph, the windshield wipers were activated but failed to function. The vehicle was taken to a dealer but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The contact was aware of NHTSA campaign number: 10V240000 (electrical system) however, the VIN was not included. The failure mileage was 157,000.

- Romulus, MI, USA

Jul 172014

Traverse

We have had multiple issues with the 09 Chevy Traverse. The check engine light came on so we ran test on it. The test came back that there were 4 sensors that went out. We went and purchased those 4 sensors and reset the computer and within an hour the check engine light was back on for those sensors. We then went and replaced the sensors once again and the same thing happened. The next thing that happened was the headlights went out while driving down the road. Changed both headlights and a month later they went out again. Only way to help this issue was to turn off daytime lights. About 2 months ago the ac unit just stopped working while driving down the highway. Thought the ac might need recharged so we recharged it and it worked again for about an hour. Now it will not even allow you to turn the ac on at all. Just a couple of days ago I was driving down the interstate when the check engine light flashed and the car stated check engine soon then the traction control light came on and the car read that stabilitrak was off. All of these issues have occurred over the last year and I have only owned this car for 2 years and it only has about 128000 miles on it. I could expect theses issues if the car was a lot older but I do not feel safe driving this car because of all the issues that keep occurring. Very disappointed in the Traverse because I know I am not the only one with these issues but there is nothing that the dealerships will do to help except charge me a lot to fix the issues again only for them to keep messing up.

- Hubbard, TX, USA

May 032015

Traverse

After opening the lift gate my wife was hit in the head when the lift gate came down and hit her. I ordered new struts thinking this was the problem. After replacing the struts, the lift gate still falls without warning, and has hit her and I on 4-6 occasions.received a letter from GM about the problem, but as of 09-08-2015 there is no solution to the problem. How many more times must we be hit ? the rear storage area cannot be used unless someone holds lift gate incase it falls.

- North Tonawanda, NY, USA

Apr 112012

Traverse 6-cyl

The 2009 Chevy Traverse, while my wife and son were driving at night, both headlights stopped working at the same time. Brought vehicle to dealer, due to design- unable to replace bulb yourself, dealer- drivers village replaced both bulbs. On 11/17/14 the left headlight bulb stopped working. Took to jack mcnerney Chevy and replaced bulb. Two days later left bulb stopped working again, took back to dealer and replaced free of charge. On 12/4/14 the right headlight stopped working and took vehicle to drivers village and they replaced the bulb. There is an obvious defect/ design flaw in the head lamp system of this vehicle. $300 dollars spent to replace headlamps. Please look into this problem, I see a lot of complaints. Thank you.

- Liverpool, NY, USA

May 052014

Traverse 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. While driving approximately 20 mph, the vehicle lost power and the battery was completely drained. All the lights on the instrument panel illuminated. Also, while the vehicle was parked, it started to roll away. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician stated that the vehicle was working up to standards. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was unknown. Updated 1/13/15 updated 9/6/2017

- Hammonton, NJ, USA

Sep 122014

Traverse

I was driving and several lights came on. Traction control, check stabilitrack, and engine power is reduced came on at once. A lot of people are having this problem and have to pay for it. There needs to be some type of recall. I use this car for my everyday use. Please help.

- Chadbourn, NC, USA

Jun 252014

Traverse 6-cyl Diesel

The tire pressure monitoring system warning light wont go out. This light came on and flashed and then went off. We had the dealer check it, but they said that this was normal. It came on again a month later, but went off. It was checked by dealer again. A few days later it came back on and stayed on. The dealer keeps saying its a quirk in the system for the car, but this sounds like bs. It may be a failed sensor but it needs to be replace or corrected. This is a major safety issue because lack of adequate pressure in all four tires can cause an accident, especially when the system no longer tells you which tire is the issue.

- Falling Waters, WV, USA

Mar 222014

Traverse

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that the electronic locking system failed causing and a passenger became locked inside the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 97,000 and the current was 106,000.

- Northwood, NH, USA