7.2

Most common solutions:

2. replace valve body (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Chrysler Pacifica:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Chrysler dealer.

Jun 152018

Pacifica Touring L Plus 3.2L

Same problem as many others, low speed hard shifting probably from first to second. Only notice when coasting and then barely adding accelerator pressure. Have not been able to reproduce when accelerating under load. Usually happens when coasting around and coming out of a corner, or in parking lots. Have not yet approached the dealer but interested in anyone who has used a "co-pilot" device as mentioned in one post. Look forward to getting more alerts if anyone has success. Dealer is Reed Jeep/Chrysler in Overland Park, KS (not dissing, they have been good to work with...so far). If anyone has any follow ups about replacing the transmission valve body, let us know.

- Richard C., Overland Park, US

Oct 022017

Pacifica 3.2L V6

The problems started at about 15,000 and were hard shifts that occurred intermittently. Would take care in and nothing. No codes; no lights, could not find problems. Took care in probably 10-15 times for months. Finally got some help and had a CO PILOT installed on my car which tracked the transmission, gas pedal, etc. from the dealership. I would push a button to record 1 minute prior and 1 minute after when the hard shift would occur.

Took it back to the dealership and they were able to find out what was going on. They even drove it and FINALLY felt it. I know have 30,000 miles it took forever to get some help. They are telling me it is a bad Transmission Valve Body. So they are going to replace and see what happens. FINGERS CROSSED!

Update from Jul 23, 2018: HI everyone - for those of you who have asked if the replacement of the Transmission Valve Body has fixed the problem I am happy to say at least as of now yes! I have had NO ISSUES since I got my car back and the car drives great!

I had my Pacifica serviced at Suburban Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram in Troy Michigan and the Service Manager there was great to work with

- Kristen S., Clinton Township, MI, US

May 302018

Pacifica Touring L V6

• CVT transmission

WHEN DRIVING DOWN A BUSY STREET IN TRAFFIC AT AROUND 20MPH, THE VAN LOST THE ABILITY TO MOVE FORWARD AND A "THUD" WAS FELT AS IF THE VAN HAD BEEN HIT. THIS HAS HAPPENED 3X IN THE PAST 150 MILES. CHRYSLER IS REFUSING TO DO ANY WORK ON THE CAR BECAUSE THE TECHNICIAN CAN'T DUPLICATE THE PROBLEM ON HIS SHORT TEST DRIVE. THIS IS A SAFETY ISSUE FOR MY FAMILY AS OTHER TIMES IT HAS LEFT US STALLED IN THE MIDDLE OF AN INTERSECTION.

- infinitycars, Franklin, US

May 302017

Pacifica Touring L

Like everyone else, when you are going slow,or even just coasting, between 10mph to 20 or 30 mph, the transmission will SLAM/CLUNK/KICK. Really hard. You can be slowly accelerating, just coasting, or not even have your foot on the gas pedal, it just happens. So, today, it happened and did it 3 times in fast succession, and then would not shift into third gear. I drove it (slowly) to the Chrysler dealer. They are checking the transmission fluid!! This has been going on for MONTHS...I have called the dealer and customer service with complaints. NO SATISFACTION. When is Chrysler going to do a recall???

- Donald S., Cocoa, US

Apr 022018

Pacifica

Had a 2014 Caravan with same issue. Multiple times reported to the dealer, they said no codes and can’t find any problem. They finally said their is no fix for the hard shifting, so I traded it in for the 2017 Pacifica with the new 9 speed trans. Around 10000 miles 2nd oil change started to have hard, rough shifting. I have complained every oil change since every 5000 miles and get same answer no codes can’t find anything wrong.

Well around June 1st it will be due for 35000 mile oil change and it better get fixed or they are keeping it I’ve had it. There is nothing wrong with this van except trans. problem, gas mileage is outstanding ride and comfortable and great looks. This is my fourth Chrysler van I have owned a 06, 2010,2014 and now 2017. 06 had a new trans. at 60000, 2010 front brakes every 3000 miles, 2014 transmission problems now 2017 transmission problems. Each van has had problems but only ones I listed for them.

- Donald R., Hudson, US

May 022018

Pacifica Limited 3.6L

My wife alerted me to this hard shifting issue recently. On 5-2-18 while riding with my wife, the van hard shifted twice in a row within seconds of each other. We were leaving a school function and while slowly accelerating maybe between 7 and 12 mph, the problem reared itself. The hard shift (which is what I assume it is) is so hard that I looked behind us to see if anyone had bumped our rear end. I asked my wife how long the van had been doing this and she said since February and has occurred more that a dozen times. My wife indicated it usually happens at the lower speed.

After reading the other post here on CarComplaints, this issue is not a lone issue. I will be taking our van into the dealership for the recent recall and will be asking them to look into this issue. I have also looked into the Pacifica forum and people are reporting the same problem there. I will be filing my complaint there also.

- Trace D., Scottsburg, IN, US

Mar 312018

Pacifica Touring L Plus 3.6L V6

2017 Chrysler Pacifica has been experiencing hard shifting issues which began in December of 2017. Problem occurs periodically when doing a slow speed upshift most likely from first to second gear after the vehicle had been slowing down in traffic. Unable to reproduce the problem at will. I experienced the problem myself on 3/31/2018 and thought I had been rear ended on the turnpike since I received a real jolt when accelerating.

Took the car into the dealer on 4/4/2018 with 18k miles on the odometer and they updated the TCM (transmission control module) software under TSB 21-027-17. They also ran a scan and there were no fault codes. I picked up the car and experienced another failure, so obviously there is currently no known fix for this issue. If anyone knows of a fix for this situation, please post so others can read. Thanks.

- mcdermgd, Lawrenceville, US

Nov 022017

Pacifica LX 3.6L

around 10000 miles our 2017 pacifica started to shift really hard especially when letting off on the gas pedal. The problem is hard to accurately reproduce. We have taken the vehicle in for the same problem 3 times and are deciding to try the lemon law. We also had an issue where the vehicle would not shift into park and then died in gear in our driveway. dealer had car towed and we were told it was a dead battery. We have had 3 reflashes done to the vehicle due to this problem. We drove a loaner town and country and were amazed at how smooth the shifts were??

- btupper, Oxford, US

Jul 062017

Pacifica

Don't get me wrong, I like my Pacifica. The first time it happened it felt like some body rear ended me. Every time I take the van for service I let them know about the shifting. Because it doesn't show a code and they can't duplicate the problem. I never know when it's going to happen. The hard shifting has happened when I'm driving in my neighborhood or on the highway. There are times the van feels like it doesn't want to go in gear or it's trying to stall. My last service they did a software update which was suppose to fixed the problem, not. Within that week the hard shifting started again. I'm just waiting for the transmission to die. My next service is due and of course I will continue to complain.

- Cora R., Triangle, VA, US

Oct 052016

Pacifica Limited 3.6L V6

Transmission has very jerky operation on the 1-2 or 2-3 shift if you are accelerating and have to let off on the accelerator, you get a lurching motion like you have been rear ended(neck snapping). This has happened numerous times and dealer states they don't get any failure codes so nothing is wrong. I now have 29000 miles on the vehicle. It has happened over 50 times during this time frame. Dealer will not do anything about it because of no failure codes. This is a very common problem with Dodge, Chrysler, and Jeep vehicles with new 9 speed transmission. Some folks have gone to arbitration with no good results. Others have used lemon law to some getting relief, others no help. Chrysler doesn't recognize the lurching as a problem. I have never had this kind of problem with any other vehicles I have owned.

The problem is not repeatable, I can't make it happen any time I want to so this is a real problem. It just happens when the circumstances are right. I haven't figured out how to make it happen so I could show it to the dealer technician, I and my wife just know it happens way too often for a new vehicle.

It is an unsafe feeling when it happens.

- William L B., Acworth, US

Dec 252017

Pacifica LX 3.2L V6

I've noticed it mentioned here, so, it's worth repeating. From 1st to 2nd gear (presumably) between 14 and 18 MPH. The transmission seems to glide out of first, and then slam hard into second.

This has been on going for a few months, but, like someone else had mentioned, it never seems to happen at one particular time or another. Never when the tech needs to look at it.

I'll likely be posting again, on this subject.

- Shawn K., Elma, US

Sep 142017

Pacifica Limited 3.2L Vg

The transmission sometimes slams when it shifts between 1st and 2nd gears around 19 miles per hour. It occasionally happens so the dealership said they cannot get it to duplicate it so they cannot fix it. It feels like it has been rear ended when it slams.

- chris_mckinnon2002, Laurel, US

Oct 252016

Pacifica Touring L 3.6L

shift at fourth gear. hard shift and loud noise

Well. I have been a chrysler van owner in four diferent occasion. I i have never had and issue like this big. First time i decided to get a brand new car or in this case a new van. And not even after 2 week of ownership. Back to the dealer ship to return it because a transmission issues. I have own this car for almost a mont and out of thw mont we only had the car for less than 2 weeks. I talk to them and they said there is nothing we can do but fixed. They took 16 days to call us that it was ready. And i hope is the last issue with this car.

- michael_2482, Houston, TX, USA