Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Dodge Durango:

Mar 012019

Durango

I had stopped at a stop sign and attempted to turn left. As soon as I took my foot off brake & onto gas, car completely stopped and shut off, leaving the car in the middle of the intersection. It was raining & similar has happened twice before during rain. Both previous times though, all electrical systems would work but I would have to wait about 15 minutes until car would restart. This time however, nothing was working, not even hazard flashers. Every time I tried restarting, dashboard lights would blink randomly. I took the battery to be tested, which tested fine. It has now been 3 days and car will not restart, same lighting issues when ever I have the key in the ignition, and nothing electrical is working including the key to unlock the doors remotely.

- Elmer, NJ, USA

Feb 232019

Durango

The transfer case randomly shifts into 4 wheel lock and even 4-lo. This happens even when driving. I currently only drive on city streets as I am concerned that it will cause any accident or damage the vehicle if it shifts into 4-lo at higher speeds. The transfer case is currently stuck in 4 wheel lock, which makes it very hard to turn. I have read in forums that most people disconnect their transfer case motor, losing functionality but making the truck safer. I cannot disconnect the transfer care motor while it is stuck in 4 when lock. Dodge should be held responsible and forced to fix all these vehicles.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Feb 202019

Durango

I am original owner and love my Durango but since I have owned it I cannot drive in rain. The vehicle sputters and dies and check engine light comes on. I found several places online of people with same complaint and the issue is the original cowl. I looked and mine does not have a taller ridge around the wiper bolts or a ridge to divert the water from running into my engine. I need the 2nd generation cowl that was improved part #55362453ak our family always buys Dodge, my husband has the 1500 truck as well as my daughter. I don't understand why Dodge has not put a recall out on this issues that so many are complaining about. I have taken my Durango several times to the service dept. And they could never find the problem but online after seeing everyone with same issue and how they are repairing I know I need this part. I ran water directly over the windshield and as it went over the existing cowl it did indeed dump into my engine and started sputtering and shut off. I tried to find the part but they are costing $180 with shipping and another $130 to have installed. I need this part like so many other Dodge owners and there should have been a recall for this ongoing issue. It is not safe for us because the vehicles stall in traffic and we have to avoid collisions with other drivers as well as creating traffic jams. I have to keep my vehicle parked under a roof to avoid rain and I cannot drive when it is raining. This has been an ongoing issues since I have owned from 2004 to present.

- Monroe, VA, USA

Sep 152018

Durango

Key fhob's have not been working for a while. Replace battery still not working. Now my shift motor on the transfer case is randomly shifting and locking in 4WD high. This happens while driving down the road. It happens while parked in the parking lot then when you go to drive hard to turn or get out of 4WD. When it locks in 4WD it is nearly impossible to back up. It doesn't seem to matter whether you're parked driving on city streets or on the highway. However, when it happen it can lead to inability to steer and control the vehicle. This is very dangerous and can also lead to substantial costly repairs from being in 4WD and not on the correct surface. Reviewing many on-line forums I'm finding that there are several others that are experiencing the same issue. Although there have been many attempt to correct the problem there seems to be an unwillingness to help or diagnose the issue. Many repairs have been done and has not resolved the issue or temporarily fixs it and then right back to the same issue.

- West Point, UT, USA

Dec 272018

Durango

Takata recall and electrical interior lights stay on dimmer don't work needs cluster replaced dealer says that it may not be available after keeping my car for 5 days as of today 12 -31-18 they say they can't give it back to me because of the electric recall!?

- St Joseph, MO, USA

Nov 012018

Durango

Truck switches to 4WD on its own and does not allow me to switch back to regular AWD. The "service 4WD" light comes on. Mechanics have indicated the transfer case shift motor may need to be replaced; but, none are available. Also, there is no guarantee that would fix the dangerous problem of switching to 4WD.

- Draper, UT, USA

Nov 012018

Durango

2004 Dodge Durango 5.7 hemi these vehicles are shutting off without warning no steering, brakes lights, hazards, nothing is operable vehicle doesn't stutter or stall at all no waring lights just shuts right off multiple people are reporting the exact same problem this is a serious defect as there aren't any codes or signs of failure

- Old Forge, PA, USA

Aug 162018

Durango

My 2004 Dodge Durango has the 5.7 hemi. During heavy rains the engine would start to run rough and the electrical system shut down on me three different times in the middle of driving due to the rain. During this electrical shutdown steering was impossible and I would have to stop the vehicle in the middle of traffic. The vehicle did this to me one time in the middle of turning at an intersection. Fortunately no accident occured. I found that the issue was being caused by a faulty seal at the wiper cowl. This leak later blew my engine as the water leak found it's way into the cylinders and blew a piston rod. I was told that this defect has been reported to Chrysler by hundreds of people.

- Covington, KY, USA

May 312017

Durango

Over heated surpatin belt broke..then the air conditioner compressor whent out.an the pull chain

- Columbus, OH, USA

Apr 102017

Durango

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Durango. During inclement weather, water intrusion occurred near the front of the windshield on the driver's side. The contact owned the vehicle for less than 30 days. Also, when the vehicle was driven through an automatic car wash in neutral, the vehicle failed to restart and only restarted after several attempts. In addition, the vehicle made an abnormal noise. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 16V352000 (air bags). The manufacturer provided no solution other than advising the contact to take the vehicle to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The approximate failure mileage was 129,000. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jan 102017

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

Driving at 30mph on city road the Durango lost full power. No power steering, brakes or acceleration with gas. Had to put Durango in neutral and turn key off and back on. Afterwards it was normal again. Very dangerous and scared to drive with family in it.

- Fort Collins, CO, USA

Nov 112016

Durango 8-cyl

Head lights flicker off and on while driving at night!

- Greenville, SC, USA

Dec 132013

Durango

The black box on the inside of the dash got so hot that it melted off the actuator for the blend door. I currently have no control of my air placement. I was sitting idle with the heat on then noticed a plastic burning smell coming from the dash area.

- Williamston, NC, USA

Aug 152016

Durango

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that the vehicle was repaired per NHTSA campaign number: 07V092000 (electrical system); however, the repair did not correct the failure. The interior lighting system failed to illuminate when the door was opened. The manufacturer was notified. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 197,800.

- Wedgefield, SC, USA

Jul 182015

Durango

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Durango. While driving at approximately 70 mph, the four wheel drive engaged independently. The vehicle shook violently, veered to the right, and the service four wheel drive warning indicator illuminated intermittently. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that there was an open short in the electrical system that needed to be repaired. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 150,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Orwell, OH, USA

May 232016

Durango

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Durango. While the vehicle was parked, it failed to start without warning. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the push rod fractured and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 140,000.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Apr 242016

Durango

My vehicle is having problems with the instrument panel that previously had a recall for electrical issues and it is showing electrical issues again every light is coming on and going off and at times I am not able to take my car out of park and it none of the gauges work.

- Steelton, PA, USA

Apr 042007

Durango

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Durango. The contact received several notifications for NHTSA campaign number: 14V770000 (air bags). The parts for the repair would not be available for several months. The contact was unable to determine when the vehicle would be repaired. The VIN was also included in NHTSA campaign numbers: 15V313000 (air bags) and 07V092000 (electrical system). The dealer did not inform the contact of the two recalls. The contact was waiting on instructions from the manufacturer to remedy the three recall repairs. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jul 102015

Durango

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Durango. While the vehicle was parked, the power outlet in the center console started smoking. The contact and the passenger found the source of the smoke, pulled the panel off the center console, and noticed the outlet was on fire. The contact extinguished the fire. There were no injuries and a police report was not filed. On another occasion, the contact heard loud grinding noises coming from the engine. While driving 50 mph and without warning, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was able to be restarted and driven to the contact's residence. Once home, the vehicle stalled. Upon further investigation, the contact stated that the spring separated from the engine and that the engine needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failures. The failure mileage was 135,000.

- Graniteville, VT, USA

Nov 032015

Durango

In early November 2015 while driving 45-50 mph the instrument panel randomly went haywire and all the lights started flashing and the interior lights at the same time. About two weeks later I realized that the outside headlights were also flickering when the inside lights flickered. I took to the local dealership and after 4 day's I was told they could not re-produce the issue. I quit driving after dark due to the lack of control in keeping the lights on then noticed I would have intermittent flickering with the headlight knob off. After researching the Dodge forums and ruling out the fuses I purchased a new "redesigned" headlight switch and installed it. Took care of all the flickering light issues and now I can drive at night again.

- Clarksville, TN, USA