Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Dodge Durango:

Mar 132019

Durango

All power components cuts out when I slow down to make a turn in. I have to turn the Durango off and restart it. This is very dangerous, for it has happen when I'm crossing traffic to make this turn. This has happen multiple times. The latest was 3-13-19

- Dailey, WV, USA

Jan 012018

Durango

Hatch will not stay up. Go to open it and it falls closed

- Wabash, IN, USA

May 012018

Durango

The rear lift gate closes without warning rapidly and with great force. It is a serious safety concern. It could potentially cause serious injury or death. I was told by the dealer the struts are bad. I was also told I should not have this problem in the summer. I do not think it is ever acceptable that thus occurs. I have four children and this us unacceptable. I contacted Dodge and they will not take responsibility since I am not the original owner. I can provide video of this occurrence.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Feb 212015

Durango

On October 2,2012 I purchased a Dodge Durango with less than 100 miles.. I have always kept up with scheduled maintenance. I'm still searching for all my paperwork.. I found paperwork where the check engine light was on at 81,552 -02/21/15--12/31/15--10/14/17--10/14/17---10/17/17--04/02/18.. I have spent over $3,000 dollars to repair the check engine light, now im told that this vehicle that I have paid approximately over $40,000 not including all the repairs will not be fixed and perhaps I need to trade it in for another vehicle.. I am extremely outraged with this company and feel I have been ripped off. This vehicle had and has a lot of recalls all which I have kept up on and still im not able to enjoy my vehicle..I dont feel safe driving this vehicle anymore.. engine shut down and even after all the money invested im still having problems..I have all the documents relating to this engine problem. I would appreciate your assistance in this matter.. thank you

- Brownsmills, NJ, USA

Feb 122018

Durango

When attempting to turn the heat on in the Durango, driver's side heat works well, but passenger and backseat have cold air blowing out. Durango was placed on sync to have the whole vehicle warm to the same temp. I have heard and read about many complains of this same issue.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Mar 012017

Durango

2012 Durango has continued to periodically stall when coming to a stop. Vehicle is able to successfully restart after putting in park. Problem has been happening for almost a year and has been brought to the dealership continuously to find and fix problem. Proper service and maintenance have been preformed for the duration of the ownership of this vehicle. Dealership states that no codes for the stalling are presenting and are not able to replicate the problem, so they are unable to proceed with further investigation. There are concerns for safety of family and safety of driving this vehicle with not knowing when another stall will occur. So far, the vehicle has been on a city street decelerating into a stop at low speeds when the stalling occurs. Most recently, vehicle was slowing down to yield for a traffic circle when the stalling occurred making it difficult to fully brake and manage the steering wheel. Some of the services completed to hopefully rectify the stalling were; fuel pump relay replaced, evaporate system integrity monitor replaced, both fuel pumps replaced, transmission service performed. Stalling is still occurring periodically with no resolution at this time. First time the vehicle stalled was in the beginning of 2017 (not sure of specific date). It stalled a few times before we brought it in to be checked out.

- Charlton, NY, USA

Oct 252015

Durango

Recall R09 did not fix issue with car shutting off and ignition sticking. Car shuts off on freeway and off-ramps regularly. Problem continued and now tipm failure.

- Santa Ana, CA, USA

Jan 052015

Durango

There's a crayon smell within my vehicle that can be overbearing. I've read other forums about this. I've read it can be the glue that's used in manufacturing. The smell still hasn't gone away.

- Miami, FL, USA

Oct 272017

Durango

Vehicle stalls while driving, once while exiting the freeway and another while driving 35 mph to work, I have reached this on the internet and found that many Durango's have had this problem I think it falls under NHTSA reference #15V115000 but my vehicle VIN number is not listed under this recall

- Chubbuck, ID, USA

Oct 102017

Durango

Headlites are shorting out..passenger has a short somewhere in ground..drivers corroded..cleaned it..but code saying there's a problem..now remote start..starts and shuts off car after 2 it 3 seconds.its all stationary..I have no hi or lo beams on passenger side and remote I

- Forked River, NJ, USA

Oct 102017

Durango

My truck shuts off in motion. Doesn't happen all the time, but it seems to happen more when coming off the highway. No recall yet for the body module, but was told that is what it could be. Am I gonna half to get rear ended before this is fixed!

- Raymond, NH, USA

Aug 182017

Durango

My Dodge Durango stopped working one week ago. At that time I looked online to find the alternator recall but that they would be notifying people at a later date. For a week they had my car and replaced the alternator knowing Dodge had bad alternators and made me purchase a battery. My car again died the same day after my partner left the lot. After it was again towed for the second time they found that my car was now under the recall even though I had already told them there was an issue with my car. The website states there is no solution to the problem and now I am stuck with a broken car with my car value dropping significantly. Dodge needs to refund me the money I have already spent plus mileage and gas communiting to and from viera to titusville Florida driving my partner to work and picking my son up from school and going back and forth and emotional distress. This company should be ashamed of themselves. I am now stuck with a rental car and left in the dark as to what is happening to my car. In a separate incident I paid out almost 1,000 to go out to my car at the dealership to find it did not work. At that time the man walked inside and came back out with a piece for the fuel relay recall. I again want to know why this Dodge dealership continues to charge me and play me for a fool. Dodge should be embarrassed. How does someone now check for recalls before operating on a vehicle?

- Rockledge, FL, USA

Apr 292017

Durango

Car complete shutdown without warning. Smoke was coming out. Alternator is not working and drain battery life

- South Gate, CA, USA

Oct 282016

Durango

My alternator suddenly failed causing all systems in the vehicle to fail. My ABS light came on battery light came on radio powered off heat came on and it smelled like smoke the windshield wipers came on when I was at a light then I turned at light and had no control over the vehicle pulled over and turned the vehicle off since I smelled smoke. Then no systems in the vehicle worked had to use shift override to tow the vehicle. There is a P60 recall on the 160 amp alternator which isn't the alternator in my car but same year make and model as my car was recalled. The same symptoms as that recall happened to my vehicle. I believe that the recall should be applied to the same amp alternator that is in my car as well.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jan 192016

Durango

I purchased this used vehicle around the turn of the year. It came on the ferry January 15, 2016. By Monday, the check engine light had turned on. C&F ran a diagnostic on January 20, and found code PO456. Within several days, I noticed water intrusion. The floorboards were wet and becoming drenched in the front ¿ and in the middle seats. Every time I came to a stop or turned, I could hear water rolling through the car. I took it to rc February 15. When the water problem was looked at, I was informed it is not a normal leak, but what is called a "phantom" leak. To fix this, they would have to gut the interior of the vehicle. When they went to restart, it would not start with the push button. The vehicle was taken to midtown auto where they found the battery compartment under the passenger seat 3/4 full of water. They were unable to diagnose the push button problem after 2 hours of diagnostic. They stated the water intrusion could be a danger to my life when I picked up the car after they had it for 3 weeks. On 3/9/16, the check engine light came back on. As of today, 3/25/16, the sensor for "check gas cap" comes on. This car will be returning in the morning to the dealership in anchorage via the ferry, but you should know that there are major issues with this vehicle. The water in the car is clean with no dirt. In the morning, there are puddles that distribute themselves from the front to the back of the car during regular driving. The entire floor from the front to the back is saturated with a lot of water. Rc enterprise said there is no window leak, no door leak, no roof leak. This must be something in the frame. This car collects water while driving or sitting in park. Due to the battery being under the passenger seat and in the floor and then filling with water, this is not a safe car.

- Kodiak, AK, USA

Oct 022015

Durango

My 2012 Dodge Durango is has been giving me intermittent fits for a few months now. Sometimes I can crank it other times not. Sometimes it will crank and run fine then all of a sudden a big red Z flashes on my dash, the engine feels like it dies, I lose power an many of the lights on my speedometer come on, such as anti skid light, etc. The only thing I can do is pull to the side of the road, turn it off and back on. When I restart it everything clears up and is fine. It has gotten worse as of late and neither my mechanic nor the local Dodge dealer fully understand why the truck is acting possessed!! I am worried that it will shut down trying to go up a bridge or around a sharp turn and I will get in a wreck. My mechanic said the Dodge forums are shouting bad tipm modules so I went online to research and found the article that you are listed in. My mechanic said if they can find a tipm is may cost me $1,200 to replace. I don¿T have that kind of money laying around so is there any help available for me to get this fixed" are there used tipm's or Dodge financial assistance"

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Jun 122015

Durango

Chrysler has published a technical service bulletin (tsb) number 17-007-14. I experienced the symptom of this tsb as a clunking sound from the rear of the vehicle. It is caused by the self leveling suspension (sls) shock strut upper mount failing. The sls is a component of the optional tow package. Before I understood what the issue was, I towed a 23' 4,500 lbs trailer over 1,200 miles. I equipped my Durango with a weight distribution and anti-sway hitch assembly rated at 8,000 lbs and ensured both the tow vehicle and trailer were near perfectly level. Additionally I was required by the state of Maryland to have the trailer safety inspected which confirmed the axles were properly aligned, wheel bearings were serviceable, and the electronic brake controller was functional and adjusted properly. Despite the fact the trailer was well within the tow vehicle operating limits, the tow vehicle and trailer exhibited unsafe levels of dynamic instability. This dynamic instability manifested as a one-to-one lateral oscillation of the tow vehicle, lateral sway instability of the trailer, and what I would characterize as a dangerous reduced controllability of the tow vehicle and trailer. I ask that the NHTSA examine this issue and that this tsb be elevated to a manufacturer funded recall on all affected vehicles. Vehicle owners may not recognize the significance of the issue or understand the effects on towing stability. This not only puts the tow vehicle at risk, but all other vehicles sharing the road. Additionally, the high cost of mitigating this issue (greater than $1,000) will very likely cause a large number of vehicle owners to delay the repair or even decide not to have it addressed at all. Chrysler and Dodge have an intrinsic responsibility to address this issue with a recall for the safety of their customers as well as all drivers who share the road.

- Owings, MD, USA

Jul 142009

Durango

I was driving my vehicle and the engine stall while driving, this ocurr in two different days and last Friday, July 31, 2015 my grandson was driving and ocurr the same thing.

- San German, PR, USA

Jul 212015

Durango

There was a smell of something burning, then my wipers came on ( clear day of sunshine), shortly after that the battery light came on right before the car cut off.

- Plainfield, IL, USA

May 252015

Durango

My car has a failed alternator, it failed a test 3 times, the place I took it to says my car is to new and has to low of miles for it to have failed.

- Pittsburg, CA, USA