Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Dodge Journey:

Aug 062018

Journey

Faulty tipm. Car starts intermittently. Dealerships and all mechanics are unable to resolve. There are Dodge forums everywhere complaining about this problem why wont Dodge recall it already? my antitheft light comes on and disables the car. When trying to start the car, some days it starts and some days it doesn't. no error codes coming up. The dealership has replaced battery, alternator, neutral safety switch, and starter.

- Melbourne, FL, USA

Jul 092018

Journey

Car will not start at times, have to let sit for about an hour before it will start. Have been having issue for months. Changed battery but that has not helped. I have power to the car but the engine will not turn over. Sensor in steering wheel for airbag is also loose, light comes on and off

- N Huntingdon, PA, USA

Jul 232018

Journey

Car will not start, only clicks. Sounds come from the stereo. This has been an intermittent problem for about 5 years (I bought the car new in December 2009). I have replaced the battery twice. This problem has gotten worse, as it happened yesterday and again today. It jumps easily.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jun 012018

Journey

Rear parking, backup and licensed plate lights stop working due to wires broken inside the harness coming from vehicle to rear door, all the wires were broken inside the wire loom at top of the rear door to the vehicle, this is a common problem with this vehicle, the wires break depending how many times the rear door is open/close. Stranded cable wires use in this place are bad quality, like 7 wires inside the cable.

- Lake Worth, FL, USA

Jun 252018

Journey

Car experiences intermittent ignition failure. While stationary with key in ignition, it will click but not start. We have replaced the battery, alternator, and starter but it continues to have issues starting over the past 3 months. Sometimes it will start fine, but other times it takes several tries over a period of 30 minutes. The mechanics cannot find the solution to this problem even when able to duplicate the issue.

- Whitehouse, OH, USA

Jun 012018

Journey

Drivers side airbag conector burned out causing airbag to error and not deploy. Airbag light activated while parked.

- Bothell, WA, USA

Jun 062018

Journey

The car sometime does not start after turning off engine. In order to restart I have to put my foot on the brake pedal, turn key to run with out starting, then shift lever to neutral, then turn key to crank motor to start. Most of the times the car starts as normal, but sometimes I have to put car in neutral to start motor. Moving the shift lever around seems to do the trick.

- Cary, NC, USA

Apr 042009

Journey

Do something this has been a safety and inconvenience problem for years it is all over the internet and you have received many complaints

- Lake Orion, MI, USA

May 022018

Journey

Vehicle will not start. Replaced battery, replaced starter, replaced relays and fuses, cleaned connections. 100's of reports with this problem all over the internet. Putting the car in neutral does not help.

- Sebewaing, MI, USA

Feb 012018

Journey

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that the eps warning indicator flashed and the power steering failed to function. The steering wheel became extremely tight and there was an internal electrical failure, which caused the radio and brakes not to work. In addition, the brake indicator was illuminated. The dealer (transitowne Jeep Chrysler Dodge Ram of West seneca, 2989 transit rd, elma, NY 14059, (716) 674-6400) diagnosed that the return power steering hose, cooler, and ABS unit needed to be replaced. The manufacturer indicated that the vehicle was excluded from the unknown ABS and brake system recalls and had not provided an electrical solution to the dealer. The VIN and failure mileage were not available.

- Holland, NY, USA

Apr 222018

Journey

Master window switch quit working, bought a new switch that didnt fix it and so I did some research and see there was a recall on these vehicles for the copyright 2011, Chrysler group llc, all rights reserved February 2011 dealer service instructions for: Safety recall K07 front door wiring harnesses 2009 (jc) Dodge Journey note: This recall applies only to the above vehicles built from November 01, 2007 through November 07, 2008 (mdh 110122 through 110723) which also effects my lighting and possibly airbags. I have children that's not acceptable.

- Westfield, PA, USA

Mar 082018

Journey

How can you take your car to a Dodge dealer and still can't get help! why does my car read 37 codes" why is my ABS tracking light on causing me not to switch gears? why is my airbag light on at all times? why does my back up camera not come on when needed? why haven't they recalled this piece of trash they call a car? I can't go anywhwer with out it not starting and needing a jump. I'm out of about 2000 and still no answers! why haven't I received any recalls"

- Niagara Falls, NY, USA

Mar 132018

Journey

After buying the car from the dealer we drove home and stopped to get gas. The car would not start. Finally after locking and unlocking the doors it started. Since then every day I drive it I continually have issues with it starting. Once while driving down the road it shut off and stopped. Almost caused an accident. Now I can not even get it started. I have a baby and rhought this would be a perfect vechile. I can nit trust it for the safety of my child and myself. I can not be stranded in the Arkansas heat with a vechile that repeatedly has issues with starting or keep running while driving. I have had it checked and no one xan find an issue with the car. Very concerned with safety of car. Very disappointed.

- N Little Rock, AR, USA

Mar 092018

Journey

While driving at 65 mph on a highway the horn started blowing all by itself. The radio volume also decreased by itself. This continued intermittently for approx 30 minutes.

- Garden City, NY, USA

Dec 042017

Journey

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Journey. While driving various speeds, the vehicle began to shake and there were squealing noises and a vibration from the floorboard. The vehicle was towed to champion Chrysler Jeep Dodge in indianapolis, Indiana where it was determined that the power train unit needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. In addition, the contact stated that the brakes and electrical system malfunctioned. The vehicle was repaired at least thirty times by various dealers since 2013. The manufacturer was made aware of the failures. The failure mileage was approximately 60,000.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Feb 052018

Journey

The car completely shut off going down the road and everything electrical went crazy and the horn wouldn't stop blaring. I couldn't pull over or anything because my steering and my brakes went out. The car finally turned back on by itself and now the window wipers, blinkers, and door locks do not work.

- Eldorado, IL, USA

Jan 192018

Journey

For the 2nd time since I purchased this car 2 years ago, I have lost power steering and had to pay to replace it. This car has been a lemon since I purchased it. First the head gasket blew, then I had to replace the radiator, then the ignition switch, now power steering twice. This car is nothing but a money pit. I tell everyone I know to stay away from Dodge

- Windom, MN, USA

Jan 162018

Journey

Issues I have had so far: ¿car was on and running, in park, couldn¿T move it from park to drive. Had to turn car off and back on to ¿restart¿ the main computer that controls all that ¿the headlights, visor mirror lights, dashboard main light flickered worse than any other times (this happens most frequently) ¿the following dashboard lights would light up like a christmas tree: Brake, eap bas, ABS and the one that shows slippery conditions ¿odometer would go from 0 to 100 and back and forth like it was possessed many, many times ¿dings and whatever noise is made when all the above dashboard lights flickered on and off ¿random lock/unlock of doors ¿radio would randomly shut off and come back on * had to be jump started 3 times as my 13 month battery was drained to nothing took to local Dodge dealer, all they did was replace my 13 mon. Old battery and ignition fuses and sent me on my way without the issue being fixed. All the above has happened in motion or stationary except trying to move from park to drive was stationary. I posted video of this on my youtube channel (https://www.youtube.com/watch?V=mkqq1ym7shu) I strongly feel this is a faulty tipm references that have same issue as I do: Https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-durango/379400-tipm-recall-coming.html https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-durango/379400-tipm-recall-coming-3.html https://www.Chrysler.com/webselfservice/fcanorth/vininputform.jsp I also contact an online mopar representative on this issue and all they said was 'since my vehicle is over the 36,000 factory warranty, it does not matter who owns the vehicle. If there is a common issue due to a defect and not some external sources. I would recommend keeping your receipts if this ever does become the case we will send out a letter and you can submit for reimbursement.' So basically I am screwed!

- Fargo, ND, USA

Dec 142017

Journey

The PCM needs to be replaced. I don¿T know much about cars so I don¿T know what this means. The dealership did a diagnostic test and I was told I needed to replace the PCM.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Dec 082017

Journey

This vehicle will intermittently not start (usually once every 3-6 weeks). After sitting for 15-45 minutes, the car will start. It has been taken to two dealerships and one of those dealerships even replaced the ignition (at a cost to me of over $700) and that did not fix the problem. There is no rhyme or reason to this and no one seems to have an answer. One dealership even kept the vehicle for several days and could not replicate the issue or find the cause. From what I have found online, I am not the only person with this same issue. The latest episode was December 8, 2017, but this has been an issue for several years, basically since I purchased the vehicle used in 2013. I also contacted Dodge directly and they opened a case (#32993255).

- Huron, OH, USA