Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Dodge Journey:

Jul 242019

Journey

Car will not start at times, usually when it's hot outside, and it takes anywhere from 5 minutes to a day before it will start back. Battery, keys, and alternator are fine. Most of the time if I put it in neutral it will start but other times I am left stranded. I am afraid to drive far from home because if I turn my car off it may not start back. I have been stranded for hours with my kids before in the high heat. This needs fixed asap, been going on for 5 yrs now.ask anyone with a Dodge Journey and they will tell you they have the same issue.

- Cowan, TN, USA

Jul 022019

Journey

On several occasions my Dodge Journey has shut off while driving and while sitting at a traffic light. Some instances occurred while turning at a traffic light or driving straight ahead on a local city road. The check engine light, traction equalizer warning and air bag lights all come on just prior to the car shutting off most times. Other times there is no warning until my steering wheel and brakes lock up indicated that the car has shut off. Iżve had the car serviced for the engine amongst other repairs and the problem still persists and the codes clear only temporarily. The car lights dim or flicker and the car shakes sometimes when starting up indicating that the car will not hold power to drive. The battery is good and the mechanic has stated that the issue is electrical.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jun 172019

Journey

My 2009 Dodge Journey has been having a no start issue that has been getting progressively worse over the past 3 years. At first it was just when it was hot outside or the car was hot after driving an hour or more, now it happens at any given time, even first thing in the morning. I can usually get it started after 5-10 tries, but never on the first try. The last time this happened was on Monday, June 17, 2019 when I took it back to the dealer for the 5th time this year for this problem.

- Bath, NC, USA

Apr 192019

Journey

When using right turn signal dome lights turn on, if cruise contrail is on cannot use brights will shut off cruise by itself, car stalls, and will not always start, when it does start many times will stall right away, and when driving stalls. Air bag light on which have read can mean airbag fail to deploy.

- Mayville, MI, USA

Jun 092019

Journey

Car will intermittently start and then wonżT start. Battery is fine. Checked neutral safety switch. Still nothing. Have been stranded several time.

- Ellettsville, IN, USA

May 252019

Journey

I drove my vehicle to the grocery store with no problems. I shopped, came back out and tried to start it. Lights, radio, windows, locks... all worked. When trying to start, you hear a single click each time you try. We tried to jumpstart it; there were no changes. It wouldn't start. I had the dealer tow it. They couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. They ended up getting it to start with no answers for me. They just said they can't figure out whats wrong with it or why it acted the way it did. I did some research. Its common in Dodge Journeys; therefore Dodge should adress the issue.

- Saint Augustine, FL, USA

Apr 092019

Journey

2009 Dodge Journey has issues starting intermittently. Seems to be an issue many people post about. If you let the vehicle sit for awhile it will sometimes start back up. Inserting key will make it possible to turn on lights, radio, roll down windows, etc, but the vehicle will not start, only click.

- Lansing, MI, USA

Mar 212019

Journey

Was driving on my way back home with my 4 kids when the car stalled and wouldnżT turn over. Put key fob in ignition and would make a clicking noise then it just stopped making noise. Got car towed and had battery checked and the battery had full charge and only 2 years old.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Aug 082018

Journey

I have a 2009 Dodge Journey, when the heat is on in the vehicle the passenger side blows cold air on one side of the vehicle I've been on the internet and hundreds of people are complaining, and the dealership are charging $600-$1200 to fix the problem, when this is a car defect, period.....

- Detroit, MI, USA

Jan 052019

Journey

I own a 2009 Dodge Journey that I purchased in July of 2018. Beginning in August I started experiencing a no crank no start problem. There were 3 times my car wouldn't start while I was at home. My car has been towed approximately 9 times since September including 2 times to the Dodge dealership for diagnosis and repair of the problem in October. Initially the mechanic diagnosed a dead cell in the battery. I paid approximately $232 for a new battery and 2 1/2 weeks later I was stranded again due to my car not starting in November, since then I've had this problem 8 times while attempting to leave my home. All of my major parts are operating correctly and nothing is draining my battery. Can Chrysler please attempt to identify what is causing this problem? it's unsafe and very inconvenient this unknown issue is expensive to constantly attempt to fix and the problem still occurs.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Jan 042019

Journey

No start no crank. Since taking my car to the dealerships to fix the recalls my car wont even go out of park unless the car is on and running.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Sep 102018

Journey

Takata recall I purchased this car & was told only needed to replace back tires.. I told the sakes guy I do not want to put any money in any cars, I told him I own a 2004 Dodge intreprid SE I bought brand new on 7/27/2004, last yr in end of Sept it started to nickel & dime me. This car I bought from this guy said nothing wrong, I said this car looks like it's neen in a car accident, he said nothing wrong, said I will be 2nd owner & a clear title... wrong, I bought this car from a car lot on 2/16/2018, on 2/17/2018 had to buy 3 tires & found out the tie rod & ball joint were hanging by a thread, mechanic said the sales guy would have seen all this when he told me they moved the good tires to the front & put bad tires to back, I had to get new brakes front & back/ new battery, the airbags were missing & I almost got hit bc the transmission stalled on me, the history that I found out with this 2009 Dodge Journey SXT was already in a accident on 10/18/2017 bc the transmission stalled, I had to ha to put lots of $$$ into this vehicle that I did not want to do, to top that off, I had to call Canada & they said they didnżT have me as the new owner, I found out the cash I paid the guy had to pay off a leon that was on this car, then after he paid it, I received in the mail leon was paid off in full, the company that had a lein didnżT know I bought this car & I had to call Canada to give them updated info that I bought the car if &4,263 cash bc guy wouldnżT take a check or money order/ nor cashiers check, the lemon law lawyer I called on 2/17/2018 I wouldnżT be able to stop payment bc the sales guy lied to me & sold me a bad car, the car is in the repair shop since Sept 12,2018bc of the transmission, manufacturing issue that I do not have anything to do with, my sister opened a gofundme me page to raise $$. I believe Dodge should pay for this transmission..

Nov 292018

Journey

Since September 2018 car would not start. Had gone to the doctor and parked in the lot, when I came out my car would not start and I was stranded in the parking lot until dark after the clinic had closed. Tried starting it multiple times and only got a ʻclickʻ then nothing. Had to get towed home. IʻM a 59 Y/O female with health issues. Battery was new so I had the starter replaced thinking maybe that was the problem. My car still had the same problem. It would randomly start. So once I could get it started, I took it to my mechanic. He could not isolate the problem although it would still randomly start and recommended that I take it to the dealer. I did and the dealer said everything checked out fine but recommended that I have the starter replaced as well as the egr system and he quoted me over $1200. I canʻT afford that. I had already paid to have my battery tested at sears where I bought my diehard and had bought a new starter that my brother installed. Instead, I took it back to my mechanic who replaced it with another started and egr system for $300 less. It only worked for a few days. I only get a click then nothing. Today, I had the same problem. I travel 30 miles each way to get to work and this is frustrating. I tried the ʻbrake, on, neutralʻ and it didnʻT work. I finally got it to start this morning when I did the ʻbrake, on, move the gear shift side to side in the park positionʻ but when I got off work this afternoon, that didnʻT work. Instead, I did the ʻbrake, on, neutral, parkʻ and it started right up. I donʻT know if it will work tomorrow though. Is there a permanent resolution to this problem besides not buying another Chrysler made vehicle and junking the one I have?

- Waianae, HI, USA

Feb 172018

Journey

Not right, , transmission stopped on me driving, K & M Dodge mechanic says it's not my fault that the transmission just stopped on me while driving, he said the 2 gear isnżT there, this is 2 times now I almost got killed, to top that off I purchased this mused vehicle on 2/16/2018 & paid cash of $4,263 I asked if this car had any problems bc I do not want to put any money into it.. he told me & my parents only needed rear tires, I asked if it's neen in a car accident, he said no.. he said I will be the 2nd owner, , something isnżT right, so I took it in on 2/17/2018 to get 2 new rear tires & omg, are you kidding me, , this car didnżT have any airbags, electrical system was messed up, had to have a oil change on 2/22/2018, then it went in repair shop on 2/26/2018 for recall on airbags, then got it back on 3/26/2018, just for it to go back in on 4/1/2018 for a ball joint/tie rods/rotors/brakes front & back/ wheel alignment/new battery you got to be kidding me, , I am pissed as heck, found out IżM the 4th/5th owner, , it was in S car accident passenger side in Oct 2017 car stalled on ppl, minor frame work, car is missing lots of parts, then I had to buy another tire front passenger side, key fob doesnżT want to start car, ,then I almost got hit driving bc ignition stopped on me driving, , then had starter replaced new on 8/26/2018 to top that off on Aug 28 car stalls again, friend comes over with meter to check out car statistics & says car needs the transmission control modular reset so I can drive, so then try to drive car on Sept 5th, wonżT move, so I have to get rides, then on Sept 12th start up, try to drive it & the car stops, tried to drive it back to K & M Dodge on Sept 12th 2018, , it's been there since that day bc not drivable, needs a new transmission, I canżT afford bc I am on disibility (social security disabilty), I called a lawyer on 2/17/2018

Mar 062018

Journey

This(2009 Dodge Journey SXT),it has many safety issues, I told the sales guy I do not want to put any money into a vehicle, bought it on 2/16/2018, got new rear tires on 2/17/2018, I was told car needs a ball joint/tie rod asap, now I was mad, I got hold of a lemon law lawyer to get my money back, he canżT help me bc the car is a 2009, he gave me info to call & found out the car was in a car accident on 10/8/2017 passenger side, found out the car had safety issues that needed to be done, so car went into shop on 2/26/2018 & I got it back on 3/27/2018. I had to get a new battery/new brakes front/back/rotors/ball joint/ nut/snap ring/then car just quit on me while driving, freaked me out, then I had to have the starter replaced, on 8/26/2018, now car went back in shop on 9/12/2018 bc the transmission stalled on me & I almost got reared end, the meter machine says it needs the transmission control module needed to be reset, wrong, the problem is the transmission & been hearing all kinds of nasty things to do with the chyrsler Dodge ignition/ transmission / starter, this car has cost me so much money that I was lied too.. safety issue is transmission I was told by 2 mechanics the transmission needs to be replaced bc the gear broke, nothing I did, transmission needs to be rebuilt or new one put in, I paid $4,263 plus now for everything else I was not planning on doing.. I been hearing bad stories about this car transmission/starter/ignition/electrical.. plz help me out here, I almost got killed bc car stopped on me while driving... I bought this car on 2/16/2018, milage was (124,627) & it's been in the repair shop more than me driving, it's back in on 9/12/2018, , plz help, I have all my receipts, I believe Dodge/chyrsler should compensate something bc this transmission should have just quit on me driving & told gear broke, not my fault, help plz

Aug 242018

Journey

For the millenth time since purchasing this car in 2014 it failed to start again!!! I have had ever mechanic under the sun check electrical connections, batteries, starters, alternators, fuses etc. They find nothing wrong but the car continues to simpley not start. Iżve read a lot of people have the same problem with this car. Did anyone ever figure out why and what Dodge is doing about it? sometimes it happens when my car is parked angled. Sometimes on flat pavement. I got stuck with my newborn daughter shortly after I purchased the car and went back to depaula dealer I purchased it from in albany NY and they apologized and said they checked everything and nothing is wrong with the car. IżM scared to be stuck with my kids somewhere and honestly tired of sending it to the mechanic only to hear they canżT find anything wrong. Any ideas or directions to give the mechanic would be great. Does Dodge actually have the answer and just donżT want to issue a recall. I donżT care if I have to pay to get it fixed. I just want to know what needs to be fixed!!! thank you

- Castleton, NY, USA

Jul 092018

Journey

Car will not start at times, have to let sit for about an hour before it will start. Have been having issue for months. Changed battery but that has not helped. I have power to the car but the engine will not turn over. Sensor in steering wheel for airbag is also loose, light comes on and off

- N Huntingdon, PA, USA

Dec 122017

Journey

Upon fulling up to a stop sign and applying the brake, my car shut off completely. I was able to restart it a drive a block or two before it did the same thing. I had the car towed to a mechanic and after looking for a problem for several days they were unable to find anything wrong with the car and it started and drove fine. Several times within the past 6 months (Jan-June 2018) I have tried to start my car and it will not start. Sometimes moments later it will start, sometimes hours later it will start. Upon searching online for possible problems, I found many who had the same issues (car shutting off while driving, and car not starting). It seems there was a recall to fix these very problems. The recall was regarding the ignition module. I recently purchased my car from another individual and I do not know if the recall was address initially. How can I find out. If my car was not fixed, how can I get the recall fixed now? if it was fixed, then the vehicle is still having the same problem and the "recall fix" did not actually fix the problem. I have been cautious driving it as I do not want the vehicle to turn off while I am driving, again nor do I want to be stranded again because it won't start.

- North Ogden, UT, USA

Jul 062018

Journey

My car randomly doesn't start. I will be parked, turn off car to run in store when I come back out car wont start. Battery has been changed. Still same issue.

- Rocky Point Ny, NY, USA

Jun 122018

Journey

Just replaced battery. Was working and starting fine after replacing for a few weeks. Went to work yesterday morning and left for lunch with no issues. Went to start car to return to work after lunch and wouldn't turn over at all. I would turn the key and get one click but not turning over. My radio, lights and windows all work when key is in the on position. Charged the battery for nearly 40 minutes and still no start only a click. Have also had on-going issues with wiring harnesses throughout vehicle.

- Demotte, IN, USA