7.7

$420

Most common solutions:

2. replace door ajar sensor (46 reports)
  3. replace door latch assembly (37 reports)
  4. repair latch, sensor (3 reports)
  5. dealer sent electrical pauses through latch (2 reports)
  6. replaced door latch assembly (2 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Edge:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

Jun 012018

Edge

My truck one day just started to act different- Lights would stay on when I got out the car and every time I hit the alarm within 10-20 it would start going off. The passenger left door ajar light was always on and my lights never dimmed. Now my car battery is legit draining to the point I always need a jump so another cost will be a battery replacement. Is there a recall on this??? I have been seeing so many complaints I can't image there isn't one. Today my car didn't start again and now my navigation is saying sd card needs replacement due to this issue. Ford has to do better buy their customers

- Denise B., Mount Laurel, NJ, US

May 012018

Edge SEL V6

At first I thought I wasn't closing the door hard enough to cause the door to latch, but I quickly discovered that the issue is with the door latch assembly. After some research I found that this is widely known and a pain to fix by myself. I think this is something Ford should be looking at, because I have kids and when this is happening the doors don't lock, they stay unlocked and while I am driving as well. The obvious solution is to use the child safety lock, but that's secondary. The door should lock on it's own and it is not working as designed.

- yodaman1, Westminster, US

Jun 052018

Edge Limited V6

The door ajar light on my 2011 Edge will not go out. This is common occurrence on certain Ford vehicles and should be covered by Ford!

- Nina B., Waxhaw, NC, US

Jun 142018

Edge

I just purchased a 2011 Ford Edge. I love the car but the door ajar lights are not going off when the door is clearly shut. I am afraid this will run down my battery and also mess with the locking system. I have 2 children and can't risk their doors not actually shutting or coming open due to this problem that is obviously not new. Ford needs to find a way to fix this problem and do a recall. Replace the locks with the newer model locks or something before they have a big law suit on their hands. If someones child falls out of a car due to the lock fail, especially one of my children, there will be major action taken. It ridiculous that a company as huge as Ford Motors has an ongoing problem like this that hasn't been corrected. Seriously!!!!!

- janetledford, Roan Mountain, US

Sep 172018

Edge Limited

I came across this page because of the door ajar issue I am having.

Why does Ford have crappy electrical issues?

Driver side door, I will get in the vehicle and the light will be on so I open the door again and slam it. When I get out of the car I will lock it with the fob. I always want to hear the horn honk to make sure it is locked. When I pressed the lock on the key fob once it will lock and then press it again to hear the horn it will honk at me twice to tell me the doors are not locked or there is a problem. The lights will stay on but the door lock is engaged. So I have to open it and do it all over again.

Today I ended up leaving my keys in the car and locked the door as I was getting out of the car. The doors all locked but the keys were inside! I was furious! It is never supposed to happen like that. The doors never lock if the key fob is inside the car.

Reading others posts about it I know it will just get worse from here and that it isn't a cheap fix. UGH!!!

- Kelsita S., Orange, TX, US

Sep 122018

Edge SE 3.5V6

This was at least the 3rd door latch assembly we have had to replace on our 2011 ford edge. This is clearly a problem that ford does not want to take ownership of. It should be a recall and they should reimburse all of us who have had to pay out of pocket. This is unacceptable ford!

- Clyde H., Jefferson, Georgia, United States

Sep 102018

Edge

Unless I get a fix for this door ajar alert and door lock failure, I cannot use my car! Get, this problem that should a recall on the books already, will cost be $500 for a fix that should be covered by Ford. Maybe I can just trade for a Buick! THIS PROBLEM AFFECTS EDGE MODELS FROM 2011 TO 2018. I CANNOT USE A CAR THAT I CANNOT LOCK FOR A NUMBER OF SAFETY ISSUES. And I am unsure if it will unlock if I happen to get it to lock. That is a big risk too as I could be stranded with out help!

My daughter just received a recall for the door lock problem on her Escape. Why haven't I gotten a recall for my Ford Edge?

- Holly B., Mchenry, US

Aug 012018

Edge 3.5L

My passenger door ajar light comes on every time the door is opened, sometimes while I'm driving. Sometimes I can open & shut it to turn it off in one try, and other times it takes multiple tries. In either case it is not only annoying to see but also dangerous while driving at night when the dome light won't go off & it impairs my vision. It also is a safety hazard when the doors won't lock while driving, & can drain down my brand new battery I just put in my car. Ford needs to find a permanent solution for this problem at no cost to the consumer.

- Sharis D., Hayden, ID, US

May 042018

Edge Limited 3.6L

It is my understanding that Ford is not addressing the situation saying that it is not a safety issue. I beg to differ, I am forced to drive around with doors that will NOT lock. My car is unlocked at all times. Would you feel safe like this? How many times do I stop and try closing the door again thinking that maybe this time the light will go out? The lights stay on the battery gets drained and I get stuck. Still not a safety concern. Oh yes and let’s remember that because the doors don’t lock, the child safety locks aren’t engaged either.

- Cheryl L., Southampton, US

Dec 012017

Edge Limited V6

I noticed the dome light on from my office one morning (dummy me didn't realize the horn honked twice as I walked away pushing the door lock on my key fob - the horn honking twice is the indicator that the door didn't lock, apparently). I found myself having to close my door 3,4,10 times before the latch would catch. I also replaced a battery at a cost of $130 due to this mess.

FORD should recall the Edge and repair these latches at NO COST to owners!. Recalls / Repair Ratios will definitely be used when contemplating my next purchase. This die-hard Ford girl may take business elsewhere....... First, the front emblem wearing / coming off We had a 1977 Ford Pickup that you couldn't PRY / SCRAPE the front emblem off of!!!! Boy, how the QUALITY has gone down the crapper!

FORD should take a door latch issue seriously as a safety measure and at a MINIMUM, repair for a flat fee of, say, $100 - I could swallow that!

- ellamgay, Jacksonville, US

Apr 272018

Edge Limited 3.5L V6

I just wish with this being such a wide spread problem that they would recall it.

- Dustin T., Decatur, AL, US

May 242018

Edge Limited 3.2L V6

The door ajar light came on,and would not go off. Before I had realized it had drained my battery, and I had to get a jump. Then the next day, same thing and after MANY attempts to get the interior lights to go out via opening and closing this door MANY times, it finally did go out. Now it is stuck on again, I am at work, and fear by end of the day I will need a jump AGAIN!

- Michelle P., Kingsland, TX, US

Jan 012018

Edge Limited V6

Door ajar light stays on, keeps lights on. Alarm goes off randomly at various times throughout the day/night.

- John F., Oceanport, NJ, US

May 012018

Edge SE V6

I was told it was $400 to fix and with all the complaints I would hope this review adds to the list so a recall can be issued. It's a huge safety concern when my passenger door thinks it's open when its not. Especially because it messes with the child locks and I pray my kids don't open the door while I'm driving. It's so unsafe. And with 1500+ reports, Ford should send the recall notice soon!!

- Niki P., New Berlin, US

Jun 012015

Edge Limited V6

People are able to access my car while sitting at a light while my child is in the car because I cannot lock the door. My car battery life decreases because the light will not shut off once the car is locked with the remote. It takes a significantly long time for this light to finally dim out. I have gone through 2 batteries because of this.

- Aminah M., Lawndale, Cambodia

Apr 162018

Edge SEL 3.5L V6

After a day or two the battery will drain every time you shut the car off.

- Ben K., Germantown, US

Mar 202018

Edge Limited V6

Listen, I just had a meltdown on the way to work this morning because I was afraid to drive due to the passenger side door ajar light was on. This might not seem like a big deal to the manufacturers, however, this is nerve racking and causes a great deal of anxiety as a driver. In addition, this also causes a distraction for the driver.

I shouldn't have to feel on edge or worried on my everyday commute to work.

We purchase our vehicles based on safety and luxury. How is this safe or luxury constantly being worried that the door will fly open as I'm driving or worrying that my 7 year old can open the door since the doors will not lock while this door ajar light is on.

In addition, I didn't pay over $20,000.00 for a luxury vehicle to have mishaps like this. If you made things correct the first time, there wouldn't be complaints about things going wrong in the future.

This isn't normal "wear and tear" on a vehicle such as replacing tires or brakes.

Good companies are willing to back up their work, why wouldn't this issue be backed?

I just want things to work properly.

Why do people have to be injured in order for something to be done?

Update from Apr 17, 2018: Here is an update- last Friday (4/13/18) I left the house with my 7 year old to take her to schoo. I open the passenger door and noticed that my car wasn’t locked. In addition to my car not being locked (due to this door ajar issue), my car was ransacked and I had a couple items stolen.

It’s sad that it takes some one getting injured or worse for a recall to be made.

- Jennifer M., Marion, US

Jun 152017

Edge

Constantly drained the battery every few months. Battery died.

- Wendy F., Woodleaf, US

Oct 202017

Edge SEL V6

It started happening at the end of October, but it would once in awhile shut off. New Years Eve it died the first time, and since it has died 2 more times. I have to start it 2 hours before I leave for work, and then again on my lunch break to make sure it will start. I cannot believe this has not been recalled, so ridiculous and frustrating. I have tried cleaning it and using the grease. It works for a day or 2, but then goes back to its regular annoying ways. I feel like the only option is to break the black plastic piece and the white piece like that YouTube video out. Or try to replace the sensor and have it go out again??? That’s insane Ford, c’mon. I love the Ford Edge otherwise, in fact, my husband and I actually got another one after an accident and totaled it. It’s unfortunate I didn’t know about this before getting the second one! 😒

- heather86marie, Brooklyn Park, US

Feb 282018

Edge Limited V6

Spouse traveling alone noticed interior lights going on and off and car sitting in driveway. Fear of dead battery if lights don't go off. Very annoying. Many fears related to car shutting down while driving causing an accident. Car door ajar couldn't be remedied with repeated door closings. Research indicates this is a problem many other vehicles with same make and model are experiencing with $400 fix.

- Jim G., Island Lake, US