7.7

$420

Most common solutions:

2. replace door ajar sensor (46 reports)
  3. replace door latch assembly (37 reports)
  4. repair latch, sensor (3 reports)
  5. dealer sent electrical pauses through latch (2 reports)
  6. replaced door latch assembly (2 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Edge:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

Feb 202019

Edge SEL V6

With the exception of the door ajar issue, I love the car. I just bought it used from a dealership in February and I'm happy with the overall function of the car... but three days later...

However, how the hell can my passenger "door ajar" alert pop up while I'm driving down the road alone and the door hadn't been opened in two days?!? I am truly ashamed of how Ford produced these vehicles but will not make things right with the customer. I mean, I get it.... I was quoted $430 to replace whatever the hell needs to be replaced... it's expensive! But what kind of business practice is it that they expect the consumer to foot the bill on something that is clearly out of our control?!

Anyway, thanks to YouTube mechanics (who are a helluva lot more intuitive than the mechanics that Ford is so proud to "certify"), I'm cutting and grounding the wire in the door harness so that the passenger door can be just as lame as Ford's Customer Service....

- Chip C., Morganton, NC, US

May 312019

Edge Limited 3.5L V6

Tailgate not latched warning light on even though it is latched, and cannot open except manually.

- robison, Watertown, US

May 312019

Edge Limited 3.5L V6

Door ajar light on and battery drained. Had to jump to get started. Battery checked and nothing wrong with the battery.

- robison, Watertown, US

Mar 142019

Edge

Keeps draining the battery. Extremely annoying and frustrating. Really have enjoyed this car other than this ongoing issue!

- Susan M., Auburn, ME, US

Mar 182019

Edge Limited 3.2L

Honestly, after owning this vehicle, dealing with dealerships for warranty work, evaluations of code issues and the rip off fees, (not to mention the power booster crap I went through for the brakes), the 2011 Ford Edge is a disposable car. As soon as it hits a certain mileage, things start to fall apart and malfunction, breaking plastics, sensors stroking, etc. This vehicle has determined I will never buy another Ford. Too much money for shortcuts in design and production.

- Nancy F., Braintree, US

Feb 152019

Edge Limited V6-3496 3.5L

Two months ago the passanger door ajar warning began to appear on my dash. I would slam the door several times but the message would not go away. The doors do not lock, the alarm does not enage, and the interior light does not go off. Then when the door ajar light would not show up, my back up camera does not work. I cannot afford a $400 fix for the car. Ford you need to fix this. This is a safety issue! My grandchldren are in the car and the doors do not lock automatically.

- Betty C., Fredericksburg, US

Jan 102019

Edge SEL 3.5L

Just bought this 2011 Ford Edge used, one owner, very clean. Had it one day and have this problem occurring. I am returning the vehicle and asking for a full refund.

- Dan F., Comstock Park, MI, US

Aug 172018

Edge Sport 3. 5

The light stays on and it messes up my car alarm. Also the light does not come off immediately when I hit the lock button because it thinks the door is open very frustrating.

- Bessie V., Adelanto, US

Dec 012018

Edge Limited V6

First the car kept saying 'driver door ajar' even when the door was firmly closed. Then the back up camera started showing the image upside down or black with message to see dealer. It seems like MANY other Ford owners have the same two problems! When I called Ford to ask about it they said they never heard of these problems and to schedule a $130 evaluation appointment. I did schedule an appointment for tomorrow but after reading all of the other same complaints I think I will cancel my appointment and search for a private mechanic.

- pamr1, New Hill, US

Aug 012014

Edge SEL 3.5L

I have had my car in my local ford shop for my door ajar sensor and they refuse to fix it correctly! It continues to drain my battery and illuminate my car after I exit the vehicle. Yes it shuts off after 10 minutes, but then it will randomly light up throughout the day.

- Caitlynne S., Charleroi, US

Oct 012018

Edge Limited 3.5L V6

This seems to be a widespread problem which is also a safety issue. You are unsure if the door is closed, the interior lights will not shut off for several minutes, and am unsure if the locks are working automatically during drives. Ford needs to step up and take ownership before someone gets injured or killed. From a marketing standpoint this gives them a black eye which will come back to haunt them as people look for future replacement vehicles.

- Jerry J., Raymore, MO, US

Jun 132018

Edge Limited 3.2L

Other than the door ajar light constantly on, or the interior lights coming on while driving, the biggest problem now is the fact that if I lock the car, sooner or later the alarm will go off, sounding the horn and flashing the parking lights. This problem has made me very unpopular when staying overnight at hotels to the point that I no longer lock my car. After about 4 hours of the car being locked, the alarm will go off...and will continue to go off about every two hours after being checked. At 1am...the neighbors were not happy, nor the police. I had to go out and check the car three times that night because the alarm kept going off. Obviously, if I keep the car unlocked, the alarm does not go off.

- Thomas S., Whitewood, SD, US

Aug 012018

Edge

Started intermittently now the door ajar light is on all of the time. My dome lights constantly stay on unless I shut the door over and over. Sometimes I don’t ever open the rear door and the door ajar light comes on while I am driving. Frustrating as the dome lights never go off and it’s draining my battery. This is unacceptable as this is the 2nd electrical problem I have had after the warranty has run out. The first problem was at 38,000 the dinging sound like when your driver door is open went off constantly even when car was off. Then throttle body went bad at 40k. If I hadn’t of bought this car brand new I would have gotten rid of it already. I don’t think I will own a Ford again after this car.

- Chad M., Athens, US

Sep 032018

Edge SEL V6

I have this same issue with the door ajar light coming on. I closed the door softly, light stayed on. I had my son to slam the door, same result. Now the locks won't lock and my battery is draining. Of course, when I contacted my local Ford dealership, I was informed that it would cost $99.99 to "diagnose" the problem and that it would be next week before they could even schedule my vehicle for service. On top of that, it would be at least 2 weeks before there would be a loaner vehicle available for me to use. If I didn't love my vehicle, I'd trade it in. I really despise dealing with the dealership in town. Rude people and slow service!

- ladonnab, Montgomery, US

Jun 212018

Edge

The door ajar light has been a consistent problem for the last several years. The first time it happened we took it to the dealership and they cleaned the contact which cost money. This past time we ignored it because we work who has time to go to the dealer??? A few days ago though the light took it's toll and killed my battery leaving me stranded at work. My husband replaced the battery and disabled the sensor. I don't recommend disabling the sensor because now the vehicle doesn't recognize when I am leaving and the music and other electrical stuff stays on until I open and shut another door. Seriously folks?

- Angela M., Lansing, MI, US

Jun 012018

Edge

My truck one day just started to act different- Lights would stay on when I got out the car and every time I hit the alarm within 10-20 it would start going off. The passenger left door ajar light was always on and my lights never dimmed. Now my car battery is legit draining to the point I always need a jump so another cost will be a battery replacement. Is there a recall on this??? I have been seeing so many complaints I can't image there isn't one. Today my car didn't start again and now my navigation is saying sd card needs replacement due to this issue. Ford has to do better buy their customers

- Denise B., Mount Laurel, NJ, US

May 012018

Edge SEL V6

At first I thought I wasn't closing the door hard enough to cause the door to latch, but I quickly discovered that the issue is with the door latch assembly. After some research I found that this is widely known and a pain to fix by myself. I think this is something Ford should be looking at, because I have kids and when this is happening the doors don't lock, they stay unlocked and while I am driving as well. The obvious solution is to use the child safety lock, but that's secondary. The door should lock on it's own and it is not working as designed.

- yodaman1, Westminster, US

Jun 052018

Edge Limited V6

The door ajar light on my 2011 Edge will not go out. This is common occurrence on certain Ford vehicles and should be covered by Ford!

- Nina B., Waxhaw, NC, US

Jun 142018

Edge

I just purchased a 2011 Ford Edge. I love the car but the door ajar lights are not going off when the door is clearly shut. I am afraid this will run down my battery and also mess with the locking system. I have 2 children and can't risk their doors not actually shutting or coming open due to this problem that is obviously not new. Ford needs to find a way to fix this problem and do a recall. Replace the locks with the newer model locks or something before they have a big law suit on their hands. If someones child falls out of a car due to the lock fail, especially one of my children, there will be major action taken. It ridiculous that a company as huge as Ford Motors has an ongoing problem like this that hasn't been corrected. Seriously!!!!!

- janetledford, Roan Mountain, US

Sep 172018

Edge Limited

I came across this page because of the door ajar issue I am having.

Why does Ford have crappy electrical issues?

Driver side door, I will get in the vehicle and the light will be on so I open the door again and slam it. When I get out of the car I will lock it with the fob. I always want to hear the horn honk to make sure it is locked. When I pressed the lock on the key fob once it will lock and then press it again to hear the horn it will honk at me twice to tell me the doors are not locked or there is a problem. The lights will stay on but the door lock is engaged. So I have to open it and do it all over again.

Today I ended up leaving my keys in the car and locked the door as I was getting out of the car. The doors all locked but the keys were inside! I was furious! It is never supposed to happen like that. The doors never lock if the key fob is inside the car.

Reading others posts about it I know it will just get worse from here and that it isn't a cheap fix. UGH!!!

- Kelsita S., Orange, TX, US